• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need more speed

Hello everyone I have just purchased a 2005 600 ho that is totally stock and had a chance to ride it a few times and was wondering what do I need to get more top speed out of it? We have mostly hard pack trails here that are like freeways and I would like more top end speed. Is it gearing or can I work with clutching?

H
Dec 23, 2007
Clutching will do wonders , get a cat roller secondary and a p85 polaris or tra clutch and you should be able to gain between 10 and 15 mph easily

H
Dec 23, 2007
The secondarys are old formula z type and they dont shift worth beans , the little pucker clutch isnt bad but its design is more for your small 440 type older sled engines with less horsepower , not much in the way of tune ability

H
Dec 23, 2007
Personally the only thing ive found that paticular clutch good for was a paper weight :eek: You can try it but myself and others had little success with it

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
800 trail.

Find someone with this machine who rides the mountains, they should want to trade for your cog gearing and shorter belt.

Changes top sprocket from 28t-30t, bottom from 56t-52t.

Longer belt requires fourth pulley and brace kit.

Also Jay's chain drive could be geared higher.

May have to take out a second mortgage to get from ADB, but if speed is what you think you need then this and the right cutches will give you the oportunity to high side it around 100mph!

Personally I'd focus on getting other friends to switch to a Hawk, leave the Twoskis on the roads and reinvent your riding areas.:)

Find someone with this machine who rides the mountains, they should want to trade for your cog gearing and shorter belt.

Changes top sprocket from 28t-30t, bottom from 56t-52t.

Longer belt requires fourth pulley and brace kit.

Also Jay's chain drive could be geared higher.

May have to take out a second mortgage to get from ADB, but if speed is what you think you need then this and the right cutches will give you the oportunity to high side it around 100mph!

Personally I'd focus on getting other friends to switch to a Hawk, leave the Twoskis on the roads and reinvent your riding areas.:)
I loosened up the secondary a notch and freed it up it was sticking from sitting around and that made a big difference I will have to see what the top speed is now I am going to have to wait now the snow is leaving again but hopefully it will come soon. I probably will update clutches and leave it.

T

Teddy

Dec 26, 2007
HV-GB,NL,CANADA
secondary

Clutching will do wonders , get a cat roller secondary and a p85 polaris or tra clutch and you should be able to gain between 10 and 15 mph easily

ive got the TRA, will the cat roller secondary bolt right on? and can i use the same belt? i tried to use a P85 but it wouldnt fit???

Last edited:
C

cjgodden

Nov 26, 2007
Palmer, Alaska
The P85, the taper has to be machined to fit the ski-doo crank, the right cat secondary will bolt right on, But I dissagree with Bud on the HPV not being tuneable. The HPV is a good secondary and there are lots of helix's out there if you look for them. Ski-doo did not start having belt issues until they went to the non-preloaded spring like used on the RER sleds. I guess we'll see at hawkfest when I finally get a chance to meet Bud and we can ride together, Maybe he'll change my mind, maybe I'll change his, LOL.

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
cat sec.

from what I found most all cat secondarys are basically the same from like 98 to 02 other than helix and spring. Josh and myself have put tra 2s on our hawks 06 & 05 600's. I have a cat roller with 53-47 helix with green spring and he is using stock hawk sec. Josh can run heavier pin weight with his sec. because of the 50 44 helix used. tra setup is 228 ramps 200-380 spring 13.5 gram pin in josh's 10.5 in mine runnning carlisle belt 138-4711u3 i think thats the #. these seem to work good from what we have rode going to cooke next weekend for more testing.

Premium Features