• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

First time sledding in the mountains, any tips?

B
Oct 4, 2008
Bonnyville, AB
I am headed to the mcbride/valemount area in a couple weeks. I am going with experienced guys who have been riding for years, but this will be my first time riding in the mountains.

What could you guys suggest to make my trip go well? I am a fairly seasoned flatland rider with an average skill level. Thanks for any help.

M
Nov 27, 2007
Selah, Wa
What are you riding? Momentum is your friend. Don't be the first guy to try things. Don't lock your brakes up going down a steep hill. Watch out for trees and the hole that sucks you in around them.

have fun,

Mutt

PS Go home when your done:):):):)

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
I am headed to the mcbride/valemount area in a couple weeks. I am going with experienced guys who have been riding for years, but this will be my first time riding in the mountains.

What could you guys suggest to make my trip go well? I am a fairly seasoned flatland rider with an average skill level. Thanks for any help.

Get in shape between now and then! It is going to be far more physical than you can imagine! Don't stop unless you are obviously pointed down hill or you will be stuck when trying to take off. Stand up! Have a great time.:beer;

E

EEEK FACTOR

Nov 26, 2007
bring lots of beer for your buddies...and practice the newbee chant...1,2,3, lift.....lol. seriously have fun and your throttle is your friend.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
pin it to win it!!!! the gas is often your friend in the deep, being able to ride one ski will help, don't forget your shovel and leave the full faced helmut at home:)

A
Nov 20, 2008
Iowa
Get in shape. Somtimes the thought of having to start pulling on a sled can almost make a guy out of breath. Get a shovel carry it with you all the time you will need sooner or later. Also helps to keep your hands dry. Also remember a hangover is way worse at any good alt. That one is my own personal thought. Also have fun. No matter what happens to where you are stuck as heck, buried becide a tree, with a dead sled. still better than reading about it.

the fix-it guy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
cottonwood,mn
Watch the terrain for stumps, rocks and blowholes. Watch how your buddies ride and try to copy them, unless they hit a tree. Bring plenty of water to drink.

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
Mountain Riding

Get in shape be prepared to spend the night just in case and most import of all have FUN. Pin it when in drought speed is you friend and like said before be nice to your friends you will need them.

C
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary, AB
Necessities:
- dress warm (bring extra gloves)
- take food/drinks
- make sure you have shovel/probe/transceiver, and make sure you and the people you are riding with know how to use them (most important)
- take enough fuel (depending where you are riding, don't want to run out of gas)
- take a 2 way radio and/or GPS, it is very easy to get lost in the backcountry (and extra batteries)
- take a rope to use as a tow rope in case you break down
Riding:
- in the pow, use that throttle, otherwise you will get stuck, and after a few stucks you won't want to get stuck again, its alot of work to get out
- stand up all the time, don't sit, you need to be mobile
- use body english to steer the sled, and to turn in the powder always countersteer (to turn left, steer right, and body weight to the left)
- if you plan on climbing any hills, stay on the high side when turning around, laws of gravity will apply and you will roll down the hill
- when descending, try not to use the brake, keep burping the throttle to keep the clutch engaged, the engine will slow you down better than the brake will

Have fun and be safe

T
Oct 10, 2001
Spokane WA
When you feel the back of the sled sinking, give it a hard jump on the very back and jump off while keeping the throttle pinned. Hopefully it will climb out of the hole you just made. :D

P
Feb 22, 2004
Wisconsin
Never once fogged a pair of goggles personally, but my buddy has. That's a goood point.

My biggest suggestions would be hydrate hydrate hydrate, and spend an extra hour a week during cardio between now and your trip. The thin air takes a couple days to get used to. Your first day out, you'll probably experience rolling black-outs when digging your sled out. Just remember to take off your helmet and slow your breathing before trying anything too strenuous.

H

H2SNOW

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 19, 2005
North of 60 ...Deep Deep in the bush ......
one big thing that I see is new guys trying to follow another guy in his trench ....don't do it ....make your own road .....stay out yer buddies tracks especialy when boon dockin in the trees ...

and always look ahead ..way ahead and plan your lines

when you park do a lap and park on your own track........drink massive amounts of water ..yer gonna need it

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
Mtn riding

bring beer, bring shovel, ride in the attack position, beacon and probe if u have them, and ride it like u stole it!

BC-XP

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Kamloops
What everyone else said +

Wear light moisture wicking clothes under you suit because you're going to be sweating lots.

Theres nothing worse then wearing really warm underlayer, getting stuck, sweating your arse off and then fighting with goggles that keep fogging up because your toooo hot and sweaty.

C
Dec 26, 2007
BOZEMAN
The best advise that I can give and I know that there are other on here that have done this. Never leave a sandwich in your seat storage compartment , trust me you will never do it again. It will not even look like a sandwich, it will look like moosh. Have fun be safe and have all your avalanche gear with at all times.

J
Oct 12, 2002
Idaho, Meridian
I'll add my two penny's.
The first time I made a big climb, I simply turned out when I started to slow down. and I put myself right inline with a tree. It was all I could do to miss it (barely).
if you do decide to climb, start looking for your exit as you turn out, you only have a few moments to point your sled where you want it before gravity does it for you. If you don't like what you see below you as your turning out you can buy time by sidehilling while you reposition your exit.

C-man

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Edmonton, AB
pin it to win it!!!! the gas is often your friend in the deep, being able to ride one ski will help, don't forget your shovel and leave the full faced helmut at home:)
i like to wear my full face helmet? i think u ment on of those modular thingies with the fold down windscreen?:D

Premium Features