• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Battery Charge wire off stator?

FriscoProx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I'm adding an aftermarket GPS to my 2019 AXYS with a lightweight RMATV Tusk battery. Looks like all the past stators have been the same with battery\e-start or not, assuming the 850's will be the same. Is there a stubbed-off hot wire coming off the stator on the non-battery sleds that would go to the battery on the e-strat sleds?

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
Not 100% on the axys but the pro versions had to see battery power for that leg to produce any power. They use to be a thread in the pro section detailing hot to make a little harness with a little battery so that it would see some juice on start up and put power out of that wire but without it it will be dead.

FriscoProx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Pretty sure its the red wire in the 17-pin of the main harness. I'll have to find a new e-start and chase it to the battery to make sure.

Got my new GPS wired up for my KTM, and have a 2nd dock coing for the sled, this thing is going to be awesome! And looks like I can run a belt temp sensor with it too.

https://www.trailtech.net/voyagerpro

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Just because you find the wire it may not see adequate current from your battery to charge properly. Also are you using a lead/acid battery? If not, likely the charge regulator will over or under charge your battery.

FriscoProx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Planning to use a lithium battery identical to the one in my dirt bike. I'll check and compare the voltage coming into the battery on that, and if the sled is similar, I'll try the lithium battery. Also trying to confirm if those batteries have a processor that prevents over charging, pretty sure they do.

If not, I'll look at an acid battery, or even leaving the battery\gps stand alone and using my Battery Tender lithium battery charger.

If you have any other ideas I'm all ears.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
Planning to use a lithium battery identical to the one in my dirt bike. I'll check and compare the voltage coming into the battery on that, and if the sled is similar, I'll try the lithium battery. Also trying to confirm if those batteries have a processor that prevents over charging, pretty sure they do.

If not, I'll look at an acid battery, or even leaving the battery\gps stand alone and using my Battery Tender lithium battery charger.

If you have any other ideas I'm all ears.

Some lithium batteries do have the processor for over-charging, some do not. It should state this info at least on the MFG's website.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
On my gps when you plug it to power it runs off external and when the sled shuts off the batteries take over. This way the 2 AA batteries last a long time. Is this an option for you?

FriscoProx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
It says it has internal battery good for 45 minutes when DC isn't available. Haven't checked if it switches to internal battery when DC power is discontinued or if I have to cycle it back on. Should have some time this weekend.

Premium Features