• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

KTM Thermostat installed on a YZ450 with pictures

C
Mar 9, 2009
Swift Current, Sk
Do you know what temperature these thermostats are set to open at? Any idea what the optimum temperature is for these motors? Does the Ktm kit include the thermostat and housing and hoses?
Thanks.

Gager

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
Palouse, WA
I did the same with my YZ; however, I used a Husaberg thermostat (looks identical, probably same part) that I picked up off email. Your install is really clean. I had to mount mine higher to make room for my Trail Tech temp sensor so I had to improvise a bit on the hoses. One thing is that I had to put a restriction in the bypass to reduce counter flow cooling. The "T" I used was a 1/2" x 3/8" x 1/2" pex fitting as I recall. I then found a 3/8" pex plug with a small hole drilled in it (1/8") for my restricter installed in the bypass line.

I believe the KTM/Husaberg thermostats are 70-75 degree celsius which is 158-167 F.

I would also look at the Thermo-Bob 3. The new housing is smaller and you have a selection of thermostats from 150-195. I'm starting with a 170 this season.

dirtrebel

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Bozeman, MT
I did the same with my YZ; however, I used a Husaberg thermostat (looks identical, probably same part) that I picked up off email. Your install is really clean. I had to mount mine higher to make room for my Trail Tech temp sensor so I had to improvise a bit on the hoses. One thing is that I had to put a restriction in the bypass to reduce counter flow cooling. The "T" I used was a 1/2" x 3/8" x 1/2" pex fitting as I recall. I then found a 3/8" pex plug with a small hole drilled in it (1/8") for my restricter installed in the bypass line.

I believe the KTM/Husaberg thermostats are 70-75 degree celsius which is 158-167 F.

I would also look at the Thermo-Bob 3. The new housing is smaller and you have a selection of thermostats from 150-195. I'm starting with a 170 this season.

can you elaborate on "counter flow cooling" How do you know its happening? I worry that too much coolant will continue to bypass the radiators on along pull, is that why the restrictor?

Premium Features