• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Possible to get Stock KTM speedo to work with TRACK?

A

AKdragon700

Jan 14, 2008
Fairbanks, AK
I would like to retain my factory speedo and mileage counter by relocating the magnet system on the front brake caliper to the brake caliper on the Timbersled track system. Looks like I can build a small bracket to hold the sensor, then simply drill and press in the magnet into the brake disk. The only thing I don't know about is, will the factory KTM UST tool let you calibrate the wheel size so that it matches actual speed and mileage?

Anyone done this before? How do the TrailTech computers like the Voyager read the speed and mileage from the track?

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
trail tech

on voyagers I have only used the gps speed gauge. yes you cant watch track speed but not to worried about it. the old vapor would only work to 40 mph then would go retarted for some reason.

Jon Mutiger

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2010
Maple Ridge, BC
I had tried this on my first kit, and I wasn't able to make it accurate even at full adjustment. What I did end up with was a mileage in MPH that was nearly equal to KM/H. It was close, but then the line got ice on it and broke.. I replaced the magnet line, and tried again, and it quickly failed.

The solution for me was a big *** battery pack for my phone from ZeroLemon (10,000mAh), and the program called MyTracks (On Android). On iPhones the app called Motion-X can help track your rides.

The speed I found not to really matter, it was more about the distance for me. But I wasn't able to get an accurate speed reading in the right units.

Jon

SteepNdeep450

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2014
Bozeman, MT
I had tried this on my first kit, and I wasn't able to make it accurate even at full adjustment. What I did end up with was a mileage in MPH that was nearly equal to KM/H. It was close, but then the line got ice on it and broke.. I replaced the magnet line, and tried again, and it quickly failed.

The solution for me was a big *** battery pack for my phone from ZeroLemon (10,000mAh), and the program called MyTracks (On Android). On iPhones the app called Motion-X can help track your rides.

The speed I found not to really matter, it was more about the distance for me. But I wasn't able to get an accurate speed reading in the right units.

Jon

I use MyTracks all the time riding and the distance is great, especially fun while snowbiking somewhere you've never been and see how many circles you make haha. I don't feel their speed is all that accurate though just from the times when we ride on dirt. You can also import your MyTracks into google earth.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I use MyTracks all the time riding and the distance is great, especially fun while snowbiking somewhere you've never been and see how many circles you make haha. I don't feel their speed is all that accurate though just from the times when we ride on dirt. You can also import your MyTracks into google earth.
^^ same as what i run when riding in the snow. fun to keep track of actual milage traveled and its cool to see how you traversed areas, you hit things on a bike in a totally different manner then you would expect.

A

AKdragon700

Jan 14, 2008
Fairbanks, AK
Hmm

Hmmm, so it sounds like the Snowbike minds are stumped on how to get true track mileage and speed besides a GPS system. I know to most its a worthless endeavor that won't add anything to your experience. I'd really love to figure this out though. It puts us one step closer to the common comforts of a snowmachine.

I know I could get the magnet system built into the timbersled brake system with a small bracket, but I do not know how far the KTM UST tool lets you push wheel size options.

Any additional information or resources is appreciated
Thanks Guys

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
You may be able to use a SpeedoHealer from HealTech.com to recalibrate your KTM pickup to be accurate with it remounted to the Timber-sled drive. They are awesome little units with a calibration range of 1100% in tenth of a percent increments. I did the research to make sure they work with the Polaris speed sensors to allow for gear / driver changes. Look up your KTM on their website, they likely have a plug and play unit already setup for that bike, if not send HealTech an Email, Norbert has been excellent to work with and the product is at a good price point. Blue Monkey is the US distributor, and is located in Idaho.

J

Jimb

Dec 1, 2007
What kind of track speed would a LT on a 450 pull in say a foot of fresh?

K

KMS

Dec 1, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
www.kmsperformance.com
You may be able to use a SpeedoHealer from HealTech.com to recalibrate your KTM pickup to be accurate with it remounted to the Timber-sled drive. They are awesome little units with a calibration range of 1100% in tenth of a percent increments....

This is true, they are incredibly accurate. We use them for sportbike customers and we can correct the speedometer for speeds over 150 mph on a dyno calibration. Thumbs way up on that product.

A

AKdragon700

Jan 14, 2008
Fairbanks, AK
Response

Got a very fast response from Norbert at HealTech.

"The SpeedoHealer will work great, it has more than enough adjustment range for this application."

Part number: SH-V4 + SH-U01

With this and a little fabrication I believe I can get it done. Ill keep this thread updated with some pics when the time comes

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Glad I could point you in a workable direction. Depending where you are (AK or CO) you can get that from BlueMonkey or PM me. That is the same unit that I start with for the Polaris and I add the correct connectors to make it a plug and play. As I hate cutting into the stock harness, typically leads to gremlins down the road.

Ryanexcr

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2011
Washington State
You will never be able to get an accurate reading, that track is spinning faster then you are moving most of the time. It would be kinda like hooking a speedo up to the back wheel of a dirt bike but way worse. It is no worth the time wasted. Sorry just my 2 cents I use a gps myself. :crazy:

Premium Features