• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Here comes the hard part...99 ps tuning/diagnosis

A
Jan 9, 2013
Wyoming
Well I took my powder special out on its first ride yesterday, and she needs some work. 1st problem, the clutch will not backshift. I'm guessing this is due to corrosion on the main shaft i'm also guessing a total clutch rebuild is in order. I would like to start with the stock settings for the clutch and go from there, does anyone know the clutching recommendations or have clutching recommendations for the ps 600? We ride at about 10-11,500 ft most of the time.
Next problem, the sled sputters, cuts out, bogs, and generally runs like crap when its warm when I try to hit full throttle. If I very very slowly blend into full throttle I could usually get it to run wide open, but rpms were down from 8500 cold to 7800 warm. It was also a very warm day which could be affecting it.
I'm guessing this is a stator problem? Maybe on off circuit? The plugs were dry, and light brown, maybe too lean. Should I throw a fuel pressure gauge on to see what its doing when it is bogging? Or just start with the clutch and go from there?
This sled is definitely not running like it did the first time I fired it up.

A
Jan 9, 2013
Wyoming
Also, engagement is 5500 rpm and top rpm when running okay is 8500. I may have gotten some oil on the belt as well, I'll clean the sheaves and swap the belt to see how that affects it.
Just to clear the air I did warm the engine up before running 8500 rpm on it.
Correction- the engine now seems to bog and sputter warm or cold. Clutch pulled, sticky weight found. I suspect that the weight is causing the backshifting problem but i'm not sure if its causing the bog or not. I will rebuild and see what happens.
Clutch spring is orange white
weights are 46.5

Last edited:
A
Jan 9, 2013
Wyoming
Clutch rebuilt- it now backshifts fine, didn't stick at all however I do believe the stator is bad.
The stator tested at 42, 386, and 425. Which I do believe indicates a bad stator?

S
Mar 5, 2013
If it was my sled I would start with fuel. make sure you have fresh fuel and all fuel system components are clean. if your positive your fuel system is free of problems, I would check ignition, check your stator then your coils. if i can find links to testing these ill post them up. I think your stator tested ok from the numbers you gave. what are the specific ranges the resistance should be within that you found?

Last edited:
A
Jan 9, 2013
Wyoming
I do believe what I found said 45, 425, 490 something?
I pulled the fuel pump yesterday, its clean and the filters on the intakes are clean. The gas was fresh 91 octane and the tank was dry but possibly not clean. What made me think it could be the stator is that it runs okay for the first couple minutes but once its up to operating temp it runs like crap. It definitely feels like I'm not getting fuel though. It feels like it surges then leans out.
Is there any way to test the electrical of the fuel pump? Or just the pressure guage method?

S

SLEDIOT

Nov 27, 2007
Dawson Creek BC
"Rusted" clutchng is putting load on motor. Being EFI its over compensating for the load. those powder specials were among the first EFI's. Thy were programmed on the limits of rich, not lean. So it takes nothing literally to make them bog. fix the clutching first. Even buy a new primary to start. replace bushngs and spring in secondary. And make sure air intake is in good condition. cheers and good luck

A
Jan 9, 2013
Wyoming
I have already rebuilt the clutch. Feels more like a fuel issue, however the boot from the airbox to the throttle bodies is torn, I tried to silicon it, not sure if it sealed or not. Could this cause the problem?

A
Jan 9, 2013
Wyoming
I have eliminated the stator as one of the causes. So... could it be a leak in the airbox? Or could it be something like a bad throttle position sensor, bad fuel pump, or bad injectors?
It feels like it surges. When I hold the throttle a hair more than 3/4 open it will rev, then bog, then rev up again. It is not the clutch as it will sputter and choke even when the clutch isnt engaged. It is showing slightly lean on the plugs.

Premium Features