• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 M8 engine failure

E
Mar 21, 2009
Hello everyone. Bought my wife this Cat based on all I had heard about their handling. Sled has 1500 miles. Blew up after first tank of fuel. Have torn the top down and retreived and piece of steel similiar to a 5/16 flat washer folded in half laying just inside the mag side reeds. This hunk of metal beat the piston, head crank before we shut if down. Am waiting for clutch puller and then i can yank the engine and tear the botom apart to see what all happened. My first Cat and so far not too impressed. Our Ski-Doos have been reliable sleds. Just curious if anyone has an opinion on what happened.

Tempest

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Twin Falls, Idaho
Happy New Year. Sounds like someone left something where it shouldn't have been the last time the sled was messed with. The 09 cats are reliable. Good luck with the repair.

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
Pretty sure the Skidoo's do the same when a washer goes down the intake! It's most likely not the Cats fault, just a bit of bad luck!

Hope you have better luck with the new motor.

O
Jan 3, 2011
08 Crossfire

Hi,

Same thing happend to my 08 Crossfire last week. Found a washer cut into 3 pieces by the piston. Had to remove the motor, cut it open and clean it up, then reassamble it with a new cylinder + piston. Most likely the lose washer had been there since the machine was new as I bought it brand new. As I'm not missing any washer it must had been there all the time.

Premium Features