• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best Bumper Conversion for the $$$?

G

GF2

Nov 26, 2007
Spokane WA
VE for me

TunnelProject009.jpg

TunnelProject010.jpg

TunnelProject011.jpg

tunnelproject018.jpg

Best looking tunnel extention out there my opinion , RMK did a sweet install on this one very clean now all you need is that little blower thingy on your exhaust.

T

Trax 2 Treadz

May 14, 2009
Medicine Hat, AB
www.trax2treadz.com
Skinz offers a kit as well, details are as follows.
M Series Tunnel Kit:
Light Weight (approx. 2-4 lbs weight reduction)
Easy Installation
All Parts Included (Rear Tunnel Section/Tunnel Braces/Rear Bumper/Tail light bracket(Holds OEM Tail light)/Snow Flap)
Allows Greater Traction in Deep Snow
Bumper also acts as Tunnel Rack (strapping mounts cut into bumper)
Polished Aluminum

361_Arctic_Cat_M_Series_162_Tunnel_Kit_ACMTK250-AL.jpg

Y
Dec 14, 2007
Not sure what your cooler looks like but on my '08 I still used the 4 rivets on the front side (forward in newly drilled holes of course) and in the back I used EMT conduit holders around the pipes just coming out of the cooler. It holds tight and the nice thing about the conduit holders is they have 3/16" holes which are the same size as everything else so the rivets fit through them perfectly. 3/4" ones looked like they would work (I had both) but I wound up using 1" ones and wrapped the pipe in some rubber I had for vibration/insulating reasons and everything fits tight and i'm confident is going nowhere.

Check out the pictures in post #189 at this link for where I got the idea. Mine, the cooler mounting part, is done basically like that.

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91798&page=10

I

ItDoAble

Aug 30, 2006
Loveland, CO
Not sure what your cooler looks like but on my '08 I still used the 4 rivets on the front side (forward in newly drilled holes of course) and in the back I used EMT conduit holders around the pipes just coming out of the cooler. It holds tight and the nice thing about the conduit holders is they have 3/16" holes which are the same size as everything else so the rivets fit through them perfectly. 3/4" ones looked like they would work (I had both) but I wound up using 1" ones and wrapped the pipe in some rubber I had for vibration/insulating reasons and everything fits tight and i'm confident is going nowhere.

x2 .. did the same with my flattened 07 cooler. Conduit holders with rubber inside. All last season, no problemo. :face-icon-small-hap

Last edited:
W

W A O

Nov 3, 2009
WEST JORDON UT
Wastedeep,
Can you post some more pictures? I like the way it looks. I would like to do something similar on my o5.
Thanks

Careful the stock foot rests will not fit into your stock side rails on older models. I tried to grind down the foot rests to fit and the just break. I went with the BDX foot rests and the stock bumper,looks great.Have three freinds that just orderd the same parts to do theirs.
If you dont cut as much offthe side of the tunnel you can use your stock flap and tail light and you dont have to straiten your heat exchanger.I looked at it as they offset them so you would catch more snow to help cool better,maybe its not a problem and im just being to safe, but id hate to over heat and not be able to ride.after all i have been waiting on snow for six months

S
Aug 24, 2009
Boise, ID
X2. I currently in the middle of doing the arctic cat bumper conversion. And did everything new. I ran into complictions when I did the tunnel gussets though. So I bought the '09 tunnel rolls and new gussets after I broke the two I had. Waiting to install the last four pieces of the puzzle, but after doing everything new I am wishing I would have done the VE conversion. Would have been about the same far as price goes minus a new cooler. Just my $0.02.

B
Nov 27, 2007
Rovaniemi, Finland
I'll this say again:
If you are installing -09 gussets into -07 or older sled you have to modify and weld them into rolls. Otherwise they WILL broke. I broke mine and pal broke his. After welding they works fine.

If you do not weld them they will broke. They will not fit into older rolls so you need to buy newer rolls - which is more $$$.

But if you are handy and know place where to get those welded -09 conversion can be made about 50$ (plus snowflap if you like to use one - I don't).

R

Rukus

Jul 6, 2009
Here is mine. Did it today. Not done yet :p
Used the orginal rear end. Just cutet of the bumper from the ligth.
PB083855.jpg

PB083854.jpg

PB083856.jpg

PB083857.jpg

PB083858.jpg

Sorry for my english, I'm from Norway.

PB083862.jpg

PB083861.jpg

PB083860.jpg

ditch1000

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2008
Fort St. James, B.C.
Van Amburg Bumper

Well, here is mine completed. Van Amburg rear bumper, Van Ambug Heat Exchanger, Arctic cat 09 snowflap, LED and running board gussets. Overall, I'm pleased with how it turned out.:cool:

Last edited:
H

HiWaYman92

Dec 14, 2008
Pinedale, Wyoming
So the Cat gussets WILL fit in the 08 tunnel rolls? My Cat mechanic said that they wouldn't fit, even though they look identical. How are ya'll liking the BDX bumper kits now that they have the added bracket to stiffen them up?

Dec 22, 2007
Made this one for like $60.
$50 bucks for the 09 parts..and a little to bend the AL. @ a 45 degree angle.. Dont put the LED light as the pic you cant see it. (09Gusset to old style rail)You have to grind down the peice that slides in the rail to fit. Some have had them break. Mine havent yet and there only 7 bucks if they do...
Or just go with the whole 09 rail kit for a few more bucks.

IMG_1534.jpg IMG_1159.jpg

Last edited:
R

rigrat

Apr 19, 2008
Alberta
Went with all newer cat parts on my 08. Still waiting on the new cooler and i haven,t made up my mind on what to do for a taillight and flap. Put extra rivets in the bumper just to be safe and i found that the longer 162 bumper works fine on a 153 without shortening it. Seems very sturdy.

S3600053.jpg S3600054.jpg S3600055.jpg

Last edited:
H

HiWaYman92

Dec 14, 2008
Pinedale, Wyoming
Looks like you replaced the tunnel rolls too. I know that the 07 and older tunnel rolls are much different, but the 08's look just like the 09's. Do the new style gussets fit into the 08 rails? I need this question specifially answered.

R

rigrat

Apr 19, 2008
Alberta
I did replace the tunnel rolls. The rolls and supports came as a kit including rivets also.

M

MTnickmck

Mar 11, 2009
Missoula, MT
For any of you who have flattened an 05 style exchanger...What is the most effective way to do this? Is the aluminum brittle and needing heat or does it flex OK with leverage? I installed the VE 1/2 boondock rear tunnel and the stock exchanger looks a little awkward hanging down.

When flattening, does this affect cooling capabilities? Mine already tends to overheat on non big powder days.

Thanks.

NM

Premium Features