• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best Bumper Conversion for the $$$?

H

HiWaYman92

Dec 14, 2008
Pinedale, Wyoming
Hey guys, since sled season is just around the corner, I have the itch again. I have an 08 M1000, and have toying with the idea of doing a rear bumper kit. It looks like VE makes a really nice kit, but it looks a little pricey. I heard guys were having lots of problems with the BDX kit, and heard that the Cat parts were an option as well. What is your opinion on which way to go? How much do these cost after everything is installed? Do I need to get a different heat exchanger, hoses,...etc?

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
i love my bdx...

000_0975.jpg

Last edited:

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
Black Diamond has done updates and have excellent products.I just ordered mine and will be post pictures through out instalation as soon as I recieve parts.The price is right also.The Cat update from 08 to 09 and up looks nice but you have a hole to block off on top and to run the led light the power soarce has to be changed,ask your cat dealer about it.With BDX you use your stock tail light.

Dave

Y
Dec 14, 2007
The Cat update from 08 to 09 and up looks nice but you have a hole to block off on top and to run the led light the power soarce has to be changed,ask your cat dealer about it.With BDX you use your stock tail light.

Dave

With the Cat update you only have a hole on top (which gets covered by the heat exchanger) if you get the '09 tunnel extension too. If you keep your stock extension and cut it (which is what you have to do with the BDX kit) then there is no hole. That is a more apples to apples comparison. Wiring the LED light is a matter of splicing three wires together simply because the connectors are different which is less than a 10 minute job.

M

mtn_rider08

Dec 17, 2007
Prineville, OR
What updates have been done to the BDX kits? I picked up an older one used at the WSSA swap meet. When I install it, I was goin to put a peice of aluminum inside the tunnel for some more strenghth. willl this work?

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
me and my bro just got the cat parts to do ours for $38 for the bumper and both foot gusset things, mines not done yet so i don't have any pics but it is essentially the same thing as the BDX kit.

A
Dec 8, 2008
Montrose Co
I used the cat parts ( extension,tail light, flap, bumper,and heat exchanger) I have not done the van amburg one but have done the rest . The factory parts are way nicer but and there is always a but there more money.

B
Dec 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I have the VE rear bumper and I really like it. In my eyes it looked alot stronger than the other kits. I will be removing it to go to the new VE rear boondocker tunnel section shortly (as soon as I have time to order parts and install them.

S

snoschu

Dec 21, 2007
i did the stock parts on my 07 m8
about $60.00
cut stock tunnel shorten it by 4 inches
tail light went into the seat flap

Wastedeep,
Can you post some more pictures? I like the way it looks. I would like to do something similar on my o5.
Thanks

73GOLIATH

Jan 3, 2008
hi
mtn rider bdx has the reinforcement brackets in stock they will ship dir to you

R
Dec 5, 2008
Bozeman MT
I am planning on doing the VE Bumper and side gussets with stock 09 cat running board edges, should end up being right at 200 buck shipped. I didn''t think that was to bad considering how much aluminum is in the VE compared to the BDX. Though i think that the BDX is a fine kit now with the updates, this still seems like it will be a bit sturdier and as always i am going for the one that is a little less $$$

M-SERIESBUMPER.jpg

Premium Features