• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Choosing the right Venting for your M Series

I

ItDoAble

Aug 30, 2006
Loveland, CO
Dont be afraid to give these a try. They are bulletproof!! They're called boondocker gills. I have a set on each of my m-series.$225 canadian

zfinshedairbrush001.jpg

Another vote for gills. I was frying belts while technical tree riding when constantly engaging/disengaging the clutch. Put a 2" SLP flowrite in the shock tower and the gill side panel (cutting out the stock panel completely except 1" border to rivet to). Problem solved and are bullet proof (and look better IMO). Surprisingly, no snow gets in even with the fine powder here in Colorado.

Last edited:

T&A1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Craig, Colorado
I vote Mo Flow. We ride in thick trees pretty much all the time and I haven't poked a hole in any of my vents.

S

SLEDIOT

Nov 27, 2007
Dawson Creek BC
Put my xxx mod rod vents on today and they look and fit great. Only complaint I have is the vents didnt come with any Instruction at all. I Know they are easy but even saying what size drill bit to use for the rivits or somthing would have helped a little...
m8fall2009007.jpg

rivets are generally 3/16ths. And throw yer boss seat on that thing if yer going to post up a pic. I know ya got 1 with that sled.........

Jul 11, 2001
Waconia, MN
Another vote for gills. I was frying belts while technical tree riding when constantly engaging/disengaging the clutch. Put a 2" SLP flowrite in the shock tower and the gill side panel (cutting out the stock panel completely except 1" border to rivet to). Problem solved and are bullet proof (and look better IMO). Surprisingly, no snow gets in even with the fine powder here in Colorado.

Where do you get the gill vents?

S

sled-fiend

Nov 27, 2006
Victoria, BC
www.raintek.ca
I am interested in installing side vents in my 10 M8 and vents on either side of the speedo, but can anyone tell me why these vents are not standard right from the factory if they are such a neccessity? :confused:

I wouldn't exactley call them a neccesity, but they will help keep under hood temps down. Also keep in mind sound restrictions, hence the reason the entire engine compartment is lined with thick insulation. IMO if you NEED the venting to keep from blowing belts etc something is not functioning as it should.

Last edited:

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
I ride flat land and through the bush a lot. I have zero issues with my 2Cools. I thought by now I would have a tear somewhere with the crap I mow over, but apparently not.

And zero problems with Gills either.

To Justins original point on price, some vents come with a coarse mesh and some come with coarse mesh and prefilter cloth. The prefilter cloth is air permeable but a water barrier. Even water mist will not perpetrate the prefilter. Think of it as a waterproof vent vs non water proof vent.

Prefilter is very expensive stuff...

crap... just noticed this is a 8month old post.

J
Jan 18, 2009
Sudbury, ON
My cheap BDX held up fine all winter! I am also a flatlander and trust me, I don't go around trees too often! lol
If I couldn't tear them apart, they are certainly a good product for the money!

F
Apr 5, 2009
i got the fine frog skins on my hood and made my own side screens last ear ordered couple 18x18 sheets of the outterwear material. super fine no water gets through. only had 1 hole it in but i got a little carried away with the knife. redoing them this year

mikew5945

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2009
SW Montana
Make your own

I am under the belief that what you can make with your own hands is better then the punched out crap made for quick sales. Some of you guys need to quit fighting over stupid stuff. Live life to the fullest because there is always something better and bigger. Stand up, do your best or sit down and shut up. Put your hand to it. Then and only then you can say "It is the best for me."

m7-1.jpg m7-2.jpg

F
Apr 5, 2009
I am under the belief that what you can make with your own hands is better then the punched out crap made for quick sales. Some of you guys need to quit fighting over stupid stuff. Live life to the fullest because there is always something better and bigger. Stand up, do your best or sit down and shut up. Put your hand to it. Then and only then you can say "It is the best for me."

looks awesome

M
Oct 8, 2009
XXMODRODS

I'm using the Mod Rod venting kit on my M1000 an dlove them, one season and no issues. Usually ride, Revy, Golden, Kootneys.

Click for pics
, i'm going to add the triangle vent to top of hood in a week or so.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
BDX's side panel vents seems to be almost 1/2 the price of anyone else's vents on the market. Are they any good? I'm looking for something that will not break every time i go for a ride. What are the better vents on the market?

I put a set of ModRods siden panel vents on my M8 (cant beat the unless you make your own) and a MadFab Designs gage cage on ... Guy on here makes the "madfab" one, can't remember his name though, but I liked it better than the AMP one because it has a screen on it.

IMO, people go overboard with venting. The cage vent and some side panel vents are all you need.

I would recommend the gage cage though, youd be surprised how much heat that vent alone lets off.

HPIM15081.jpg

Premium Features