• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fox Float Skid Setups

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

cjfarm11

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Laurel,mt
Kris i have the front arm in the lower hole and it seems to work really good! I have ran it without the anti-stab kit but i did install one just in case.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
I like the valveing changes done to the '09,s and will not move the rear sissor ( although I tried already, LOL).
As for the '08,s stock, (not revalved, didn't know Holtz had played with one yet?). I didn't have the trenching issues some have said they had but I also run with a dual spring set-up (85lb per in. initial start rate) on the middle shock. As I said before, I THINK THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT IN POWDER TO STOP TRENCHING.

T
Nov 26, 2007
Geo on the stock o8 middle shock do think that it would be benificial to put some more pre load on the shock than they come with? Thanks for your info pm me if you want.

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
i find it interesting people are moving the skid down in the front on the 08/09 skid. It already sits a bit lower than the 07 skid did, but the spring is softer.

Which is the better? Stiffer spring or lowered skid?

I believe one of the reasons this skid doesn't transfer well is because the front spring is too soft. which helps it track on the trail better and get on top of the snow better, but also loads the skis WAY too much. Especially noticable on the 1000 and with aggressive skis like the Powder Pros.

KMOD

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Firth
kmodsnowmobileparts.com
The stock Float shock in the A/C skid has a very small orifice hole and does not flow enough oil, Andy at GSR has a valving spec that we use on the KMOD and we are testing it.
We will keep you posted.
Kevin
KMOD

S

sledbilly

Apr 9, 2007
this is an interesting thread from a couple years ago on HCS about suspension setup. not necessarily germaine to this thread but some of the principles discussed about how snowmobile suspensions work carries over to powder riding vs trail vs bumps, etc.

http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=132775&hl=

one of the posters, sqidd, appears to be some kind of suspension guru in the motorcycle business. section8bikes.com was his company (Ducati) and looks like it is out of business. maybe some of you guys have heard of them.

the posts about snowmobile suspensions having 3 points of contact (skis, front shock, rear shock) and how each contact point works in concert with the others make a lot of sense. there is also a discussion about initial setup using scales at the 3 contact points.

my 09 xfire came with the skid front spring cranked up about 3/4 and 135lbs in the rear shock. did not really get much seat time with this but it was way to stiff to me. we lost most of our snow so can't test any kind of new setup yet.

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
I like the valveing changes done to the '09,s and will not move the rear sissor ( although I tried already, LOL).
As for the '08,s stock, (not revalved, didn't know Holtz had played with one yet?). I didn't have the trenching issues some have said they had but I also run with a dual spring set-up (85lb per in. initial start rate) on the middle shock. As I said before, I THINK THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT IN POWDER TO STOP TRENCHING.

Geo - please explain the vavling changes, as in what you think they changed?

As for Holz messing with the 08 skid, they haven't much but they did feel their valving changes would make the skid work much better.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Less rebound flow restriction and different oil in the '09's (front and rear).
No doubt Holtz valveing will be better, because he doesn't worry about the cost of 5 extra shims in a shock.

Anytime you increase spring preload on the middle shock you will trench more and have lighter steering in off throttle cornering.
Pick your priority.

Geo

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
thanks Geo. Glad to hear you like the multi-spring stack in the middle shock. I've always found this to be trick to get the sled on the snow, but not sacrificing your ride in the big bumps - thus why i went with the same setup.

What about adding a float for the middle shock?

S

sledbilly

Apr 9, 2007
What about adding a float for the middle shock?

been wondering that myself

i have my 09 skid out of the sled and took some quick measurements. the rear shock measurement in the sled is around 16" c to c. so the extended is probably in the 17 to 18" range. the number on the shock eye is 1704-812 and can't find a fox # to match that up with the fox setup sheet i have. the c to c on the front shock is about 12" at middle holes of limiter. the setup sheet does list three fox shocks with an extended of 15 +" and travel of just under 5". fluid volume is 1cc on one and 8cc on the other two.

i didn't measure the width of the upper and lower reducers for the front shock but they look the same as the rear.

D

doornenbal

Dec 3, 2007
I am 245 in gear and I had my rear shock at 140 lbs and when i stand on the sled it drops 4-5 inches in the rear right off the bat?? Is this normal feels really soft to me. Any thoughts

F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
I am 245 in gear and I had my rear shock at 140 lbs and when i stand on the sled it drops 4-5 inches in the rear right off the bat?? Is this normal feels really soft to me. Any thoughts

I am 225 with all my gear and have the exact same deal going on. I pumped the rear to about 140psi just to get the rear of the sled to come all the way up after I get off the sled?!? At first I thought it must be leaking but it isn't... Just takes that much to get it to come up. 153" 08 M8
If I tried running it with 80 psi I'd be bottoming out in the parking lot:eek:

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
two things. it should have about 3.5" of sag with you sitting on it (no bouncing) at the rear skid bolt. also make sure you pump the skid shock with NO weight on it, otherwise it will read artificually HIGH - same with the fronts.

D

doornenbal

Dec 3, 2007
GEO

Sent you a PM about the susp hole locations from the last big post you made

F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
two things. it should have about 3.5" of sag with you sitting on it (no bouncing) at the rear skid bolt. also make sure you pump the skid shock with NO weight on it, otherwise it will read artificually HIGH - same with the fronts.

Yep, still takes 140psi to lift the rear end up when I get off. Otherwise it just sits where it did with me on it...

M

mtncat800

Nov 26, 2007
Central Iowa
I too am having the same issue. 6 to 8 inches of drop and slow rebound. I am 225 with gear and mine is at 150 psi now. What is the most anyone has ran in these, and what is the solution.

F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
I too am having the same issue. 6 to 8 inches of drop and slow rebound. I am 225 with gear and mine is at 150 psi now. What is the most anyone has ran in these, and what is the solution.

Same issue, anybody have any solutions? Cuz I ain't going to stop riding it until it's broke, the snow's getting pretty good:D

Premium Features