• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mounting Contour ROAM2

adairtd1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 23, 2011
La Grande, Oregon
I bought a contour ROAM2 last week to helmet mount and mount to my sled for this season, and I was just wondering how people are mounting these.

I used the right side profile mount that came with it to mount it to my helmet, I think I got it lined up so that it sees what I see, but I was wondering if there is a better helmet mount option. Anyone using the 360 degree helmet mount on top? Here is how I have it right now -

8189994031_be99fd22d9_b.jpg

The only thing I do not like about it there is it interfering with my quick straps, but its not as bad as it would be on the other side of the helmet, where the velcro is.

I also got their heavy duty suction cup mount after seeing a youtube video with one mounted to the tunnel of a sled, and I still have the rotating flat surface mount that came with the camera, I could put that somewhere on the sled as well.

Also, should I get the waterproof case for the camera? I would think it may not be needed so much mounted to my helmet, but it might come into contact with a lot of snow if it is on the sled.

Sled is a 2011 turbo nytro BTW.

Thanks!

Quinlan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
ND
I use a rotating mount on the left side. The rotating aspect is nice so you can get the proper up/down angle once it's mounted. You only have to be careful of the left/right angle for the "perfect" shot. Mine's mounted up higher so it does not interfere with my quick straps. I also like it on the left side so I can operate the throttle and still turn the camera on/off.

resized_20111224164039_3852.jpg

I see your quick straps are mounted higher than mine though, so my setup may not work for you...

And there should be no need for a waterproof case...the ROAM model is waterproof by itself.

Last edited:

adairtd1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 23, 2011
La Grande, Oregon
Thank you.

I think normally that would work, but since I have my quick straps so high, the ridges off the back vents of my F4 helmet prevent the rotating mount from sticking fully right there.

Also, are you using the tether to anything? I do not see where I could tether it too, and I don't really want to drill holes or anything in the helmet.

Quinlan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
ND
Yes, I do tether my contour. It saved itself once when the adhesive on the mount let loose on a frigid day riding in the trees. I attach the helmet portion to the visor screw, running the loop underneath the visor.

clatla

Premium Member
Mar 9, 2010
MN
I have a Contour GPS. I have it mounted on the right side with the profile mount. I just ordered a new helmet so need to figure out how to mount it. Thinking the rotating one would be nice. The problem is that mount is flat. The profile will bend to the shape of the helmet. I have a short tether I thread my helmet strap through it. No worries about losing it. BTW I use the straps that come with the goggles so no quick straps.

snowmoherb

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2010
Seattle - ish
www.butterfieldplumbing.com
Just mounted mine yesterday with the rotating flat mount. Even though the helmet is a little curved, the mount is flexible enough that it works well. Used the tether to attach it to my goggle strap :D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Quinlan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
ND
I just got back from a trip trying out my new Contour mount. I used a vented helmet mount and weaved it through my visor. I found for my setup, I will need to add a little foam to the front portion of the mount so the recording frame is tilted up a little bit higher, but it didn't turn out too bad. I really like how the camera is now centered on everything, and not shifted towards one side like it is with a surface mount.

resized_2013122113410437_3852.jpg

Premium Features