• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Move over Gopro and Contour heres SONY ACTION CAM !

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Sony Action Cam$269.99
By Jeremy Stamas August 29, 2012

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Sony-Action-Cam-HDR-AS15-Review.htm

The Sony Action Cam doesn’t reinvent the wearable camcorder market, but it does include some of the best features from both the GoPro Hero2 and the Contour+ camcorders. The Action Cam includes a small display screen, just like the GoPro camcorders, that lets you adjust settings on the fly (something you can’t do on the Contour), and the camcorder is available with built-in WiFi (a feature that is found on certain Contour models, but is only available on the Hero2 if you purchase an accessory BacPac). The Action Cam also has more record modes than the competition, including a 120fps slow motion setting that records 720p HD video.

But the best thing about the Action Cam is that Sony priced the model very aggressively. The Action Cam is available for $269 with built-in WiFi, or for just $199 without WiFi. Those prices are cheaper than what the GoPro Hero2 sells for—though the Hero2 come with an assortment of mounts in its $299 bundle. The Action Cam only comes with a waterproof case, and extra mounts cost between $20 – $30.

In the end, nitpicking about the price isn’t important. The Action Cam is priced competitively, period. And this puts it in a very good position to challenge the GoPro in the wearable market. Like we said, the Action Cam adds little to this genre that’s new, but that won’t matter unless GoPro or Contour or some other company has a truly revolutionary product in the works.

E
Jul 24, 2009
Holland, Mich.
Check this one out.....
http://camcorder.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL029117&pathId=141&page=12

I was sold on the Sony when I found out about it.....but then some one on SledMi pointed me to about ten other POV cameras, the JVC Adixxion was one of them. I made a list of the features I wanted, and started comparing. The GoPro and Contour were the top contenders, until the JVC Adixxion came along. Water proof (doesn't need a case) to 16.5', freeze proof, drop proof and dust proof. Wifi enabled and has an app to use your iPhone/Android device for watching video and aiming the camera. To me it was a slam dunk, the Adixxion was the one for me.
Here's a video I did with it mounted on my small excavator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCtyvhhkBQ4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited:

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Check this one out.....
http://camcorder.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL029117&pathId=141&page=12

I was sold on the Sony when I found out about it.....but then some one on SledMi pointed me to about ten other POV cameras, the JVC Adixxion was one of them. I made a list of the features I wanted, and started comparing. The GoPro and Contour were the top contenders, until the JVC Adixxion came along. Water proof (doesn't need a case) to 16.5', freeze proof, drop proof and dust proof. Wifi enabled and has an app to use your iPhone/Android device for watching video and aiming the camera. To me it was a slam dunk, the Adixxion was the one for me.
Here's a video I did with it mounted on my small excavator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCtyvhhkBQ4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Your video looks very clean !

The JVC seems very capable BUT it does not have the "standard?" of high definition which is 1080/60p but does have video in 1080/30p and 720/60p which is more than great on small screens like computers on a 50 inch screen it is very noticable ... a perfect example is the cartoon movie CARS.

Street price is already $299.

For all these "water resistant " electronic devices ... 1 meter for some and 5 for others ... the vibration from machinery will cause the pressure to change well above the 5 meter threshold. Go with a "waterproof" case or the component will corrode.

Last edited:
E
Jul 24, 2009
Holland, Mich.
Your video looks very clean !

The JVC seems very capable BUT it does not have the "standard?" of high definition which is 1080/60p but does have video in 1080/30p and 720/60p which is more than great on small screens like computers on a 50 inch screen it is very noticable ... a perfect example is the cartoon movie CARS.

Street price is already $299.

For all these "water resistant " electronic devices ... 1 meter for some and 5 for others ... the vibration from machinery will cause the pressure to change well above the 5 meter threshold. Go with a "waterproof" case or the component will corrode.

Hmmmm........ I didn't notice that, about the 1080/60p......oh well.... I still like it's ease of use..... :face-icon-small-hap

So are you suggesting a case for it, even though its waterproof to 16 feet?

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Hmmmm........ I didn't notice that, about the 1080/60p......oh well.... I still like it's ease of use..... :face-icon-small-hap

So are you suggesting a case for it, even though its waterproof to 16 feet?

Yes get a case for it because the vibration of machinery will cause pressure and create an environment of greater than 16 feet ... or get a warranty from somebody.

When they test depth for these they are in static water for a certain time period.

Real world vibrations allow the water to work into the camcorder. What do you think hail sleet snow water is like hitting the camera at 70 MPH or ice/water/snow on a branch you just scrapped past?

Since you have one what seals the switches / battery etc away from the water?

As far as the 1080/60p goes unless you freeze frame or have a large screen TV RUNNING 1080/60p you won't notice. Most cables companies don't run 1080/60p and the ONLY way I can run 1080/60p is thru a Sony PS3 with HDMI cables to the TV.

I just did a search for a real world water test and came up short.

Last edited:

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
the leader shows why it leads

GoPro just revealed its Hero3 Black Edition action cam and really stepped up the game. The Hero3 is 30% smaller and 25% lighter than the Hero2 and it sports a 2x faster image processor. The Hero3 is the first action cam to shoot 4K video. Frame rates and resolutions include:

4K at 12fps
2.7K at 30/25/24fps
1440p at 48/30/35/24fps
1080p at 60/50/48/30/25/24fps
960p at 100/48fps
720p at 120/100fps
854x480p at 240fps
The GoPro Hero3 also includes built-in WiFi for control via remote or by using the GoPro iOS and Android apps. The Hero3 sports a sharper lens and reduced distortion, as well as improved sound over the Hero2.

The Hero3 Black Edition retails for $400 and will ship Monday, October 22. You can check availability on GoPro’s website and at B&H Photo.

There is also a Silver Edition and a White Edition, priced at $300 and $200, respectively. Both of these models offer max resolution of 1080/30p and will also do 720p at 60fps.

The key differences between the Silver and White Editions are photo resolution and Protune compatibility. The Silver Edition offers 11MP still image capture while the White Edition offers 5MP still image capture. Additionally, the Silver Edition offers compatibility with Protune as well as control over white balance.

B

Bowfisher

Sep 16, 2011
American Falls ID
Thank you tudizzle

the leader shows why it leads

GoPro just revealed its Hero3 Black Edition action cam and really stepped up the game. The Hero3 is 30% smaller and 25% lighter than the Hero2 and it sports a 2x faster image processor. The Hero3 is the first action cam to shoot 4K video. Frame rates and resolutions include:

4K at 12fps
2.7K at 30/25/24fps
1440p at 48/30/35/24fps
1080p at 60/50/48/30/25/24fps
960p at 100/48fps
720p at 120/100fps
854x480p at 240fps
The GoPro Hero3 also includes built-in WiFi for control via remote or by using the GoPro iOS and Android apps. The Hero3 sports a sharper lens and reduced distortion, as well as improved sound over the Hero2.

The Hero3 Black Edition retails for $400 and will ship Monday, October 22. You can check availability on GoPro’s website and at B&H Photo.

There is also a Silver Edition and a White Edition, priced at $300 and $200, respectively. Both of these models offer max resolution of 1080/30p and will also do 720p at 60fps.

The key differences between the Silver and White Editions are photo resolution and Protune compatibility. The Silver Edition offers 11MP still image capture while the White Edition offers 5MP still image capture. Additionally, the Silver Edition offers compatibility with Protune as well as control over white balance.

I'm glad that I didn't go buy the Hero2 last month like I had been planning. This new Hero3 Black looks like its a huge leap forward from the Hero2 and I would have been almost the same price into the Hero2 as I'll be in the Hero3.

holy crapy app

still super glitchy...at least a 5 second delay...and still no android...boo

This post from tudizzle helped persude me to wait a little longer.

teeroy

Lifetime Membership
Drift has come out with a new model called the Ghost, looks pretty cool. has a two way remote that has colored LED lights to let you know which recording mode you are in and it's wifi enabled. waterproof to 3 meters (9 feet) without an external case. it's a little more than the gopro 3 black edition, but comes with a larger 2" screen. only thing I could see where it doesn't compare to the new gopro black is that it doesn't have the capability to record at 60fps in 1080 mode.

B

Bowfisher

Sep 16, 2011
American Falls ID
Best Buy already has it on the shelves, as does sport authority and others

Son of *****. I tried ordering it from Best Buy yesterday. There website said they had them in stock and shipping withing 1 day. I got all of the way through the order and it told me they were out of stock. I wish there was one close to me to go check it out and see if they are in stock or not.

R
Dec 26, 2011
Minnesota
Advice to first time helmet cam buyer - mountain riding

I'm thinking about getting my first helmet cam, as I am usually the official videographer of our group and I want to stay in the action more.

What is the real world advice for using one of these in mountain boon docking?

I'm afraid it will be another gadget that overcomplicates my life.

I have a ski doo BVS2 helmet. How do you start stop video with gloves and and snow flying? How do you know it is pointing right direction? Best to glue it to the helmet? How often do I scrape it off in the trees?

Thanks for any advice.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I'm thinking about getting my first helmet cam, as I am usually the official videographer of our group and I want to stay in the action more.

What is the real world advice for using one of these in mountain boon docking?

I'm afraid it will be another gadget that overcomplicates my life.

I have a ski doo BVS2 helmet. How do you start stop video with gloves and and snow flying? How do you know it is pointing right direction? Best to glue it to the helmet? How often do I scrape it off in the trees?

Thanks for any advice.

Most have velcro adhesive patches to hold them on.

Most can screw onto camera mount.

Most have tethers which are pretty strong.

You can get one for $150 to $500.

Newer models do wifi andf bluetooth off a phone and can view it in the field.

Some models have small view screen.

Old less $$$ models less resolution and features.

What do you need?
What do you want?
GPS?
Screen?
Wifi?
Blutooth?
Resolution?

etc...

Last edited:
Premium Features