• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What material is a hood made of?

Skinner

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
I have a 08 M1000 hood and would like to get it repaired. I called the plastic shop and they need to know what marterial it is made of. Does anyone know why they kind of material they make them out of? Thanks

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
I had a bit of hood damage to my M1000 that I repaired last year. Held up all year, no cracks or anything. This was in the hood hinge area. So this stuff works well.

Talked to a local auto body shop and he recommended this Lord Plastic Adhesive. He said to use the 152/153.

When putting it on he said to use some of the cheese cloth that you use for sheet rocking and put it down with the first layer.

He said it is the stuff when working with auto bumpers. Tuff as nails and flexible.

Cost me about $20 for the small 1.7 oz tube. The auto shop loaned me the gun to put it down.

Thunder

http://www.lord.com/Home/ProductsSer...1/Default.aspx

Skinner

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
So just how did it get "in need of repair"?:face-icon-small-hap

I refuse to answer that on the grounds that it would incriminate me!!!!!:rolleyes::D

I had a bit of hood damage to my M1000 that I repaired last year. Held up all year, no cracks or anything. This was in the hood hinge area. So this stuff works well.

Talked to a local auto body shop and he recommended this Lord Plastic Adhesive. He said to use the 152/153.

When putting it on he said to use some of the cheese cloth that you use for sheet rocking and put it down with the first layer.

He said it is the stuff when working with auto bumpers. Tuff as nails and flexible.

Cost me about $20 for the small 1.7 oz tube. The auto shop loaned me the gun to put it down.

Thunder

http://www.lord.com/Home/ProductsSer...1/Default.aspx

I will have to look into that.

The guy at the shop told me that it would only cost about $20 to $50 dollars if they could fix it. Call me lazy but I would love to take it down there and have them fix it. Just need to find out what it is made of.

F
Dec 5, 2001
back country
My bro. in law does plastics for a living...runs the shop. He said it's TPO. Problem we had was the expensive 3m stuff that's supposed to be ther right stuff wouldn't stick. I dunno if it was technique or what...

M
Aug 22, 2009
Minnesota
Just go to a place that specializes in auto body supplies and tell them what your repairing. Been doing auto body for 12 yrs and I like to use 3M. Made many repairs with good results. Just follow the directions of the product and you'll be good to go. It's all about the PREP work before you apply the material no matter what brand you use. Good luck

D

ddbigcat

Nov 26, 2007
alberta
The hoods are made of a non weldable plastic so an epoxy adhesive is needed. Duramix is another brand that works good too.If your plastic repair shop cant determine what they would need for the repair by looking at the hood,then i dont know if i would let them fix it.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Just go to a place that specializes in auto body supplies and tell them what your repairing. Been doing auto body for 12 yrs and I like to use 3M. Made many repairs with good results. Just follow the directions of the product and you'll be good to go. It's all about the PREP work before you apply the material no matter what brand you use. Good luck

X2 on prep work,
I've been in the body business 15 years and use 3m 8115, panel bonding adhesive. ripped the hood tabs off and used this with some small pieces of metal to get more surface area for contact and never had a problem. even with the extreme under hood heat of the m1000. I use it on everything, But prep work is key.

P
Dec 7, 2007
Mill Creek, WA
I used duramix after my wife hit a tree. Seemed to work well, I also had good results using normal screen material (household screens) and normal ABS plumbing glue. Another vote for prep work, and patience.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
0810091632.jpg

Just build one of these and when the sled rolls you can call it a "mashed hood" instead of a "meshed hood"

:D:eek::p

Stack

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Midwest
We use Lord epoxies to seal copper tubing to stainless steel bases all day long. Lord makes excellent stuff, it is pricey, but it is the real deal.

John

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
If I recall they are metton hoods? I don't know how to spell it, But maybe you can look it up for composition?

Mike

Skinner

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
Talked to the Arctic cat Customer relations guy and he looked into it and told me that it is TPO (Thermoplastic olefin).

Told me good luck trying to get anything to weld it with. I guess I will try to do it myself with some kind (Lord Plastic Adhesive, 3m 8115,or duramix) epoxy. Thanks for the Info!:beer;

Aug 18, 2009
Just finished fixing some damage on the hood of my Crossfire. I had no problems getting the adhesive to stick. Like everybody else has said, prep is the key.

Wash the hood with soap and water inside and out. Clean the hood with a good degreaser/plastic cleaner after that. Use one designed for plastic, not a general purpose degreaser. I usually run the hood through a bake cycle and then clean everything again. I use 3M Automix products, just follow their application instructions.

Premium Features