• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

PSI 890 (Cat 700 based)

B
Nov 27, 2007
Rovaniemi, Finland
Got curious today :)
I saw a Cat based PSI 890 cylinder in ebay and noted it was build from good-old 700cc engine. So I'd like to know more info about that engine.

- How reliable was it?
- Hp and torque?
- I'm not sure, seemed there was APVs?
- What pipes should be used?
- etc :)

I'm not buying any, just curious as I have two mod 700 engines (700cc and 790cc) by myself :)

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Run the idle a little higher, won't vibrate apart.
I've only seen 2 other 700 based BB's that were 890's. Hard on fuel and my 790 wiped em clean.
Not worth it unless it's bought cheap for a spare.

B
Nov 27, 2007
Rovaniemi, Finland
I just got curious and I'm not buying any :)
But if 790 beats them... I'm not even curious anymore :D

But the reason I got curious is the cylinder was modded big time! Whole intake portion was changed, head bolts, exhaust - everything. I didn't even recognize the cylinder at first.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
I just got curious and I'm not buying any :)
But if 790 beats them... I'm not even curious anymore :D

But the reason I got curious is the cylinder was modded big time! Whole intake portion was changed, head bolts, exhaust - everything. I didn't even recognize the cylinder at first.

That kinda sounds cool enough to ask.....got pictures?

J

JPM

Nov 30, 2007
Alberta
that is just a standard 890 psi cyl reed cyl. It was made to take 700 polaris reeds which were the largest available at the time, it was a very well designed cyl that took advantage of the shape of the 700 cat case. It is in all a better cylender than the 1200 was. watched them run as twins tripples, 890 and 950 and it was a big improvement over the stock based cyl stuff, the bad rap came from the ignition in the new version of the 700. Once and old ignition was put in they ran very well. like any psi motor in the right hands they worked well. JPM

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Maybe that was the problem with the 890's I saw, both stock based cylinders. I showed that link to my dad and since he built up my motor he noticed a bunch of things straight away. Said he'd like to have em in his hands for some comparisons. haha. My 790 is off a stock cylinder design too but with lots of shaping and reshaping of a lot of internals. Oldstyle ignition, PSI Modblasters, and some honkin roundslides. I was about 800rpm low when I was figuring out my clutching with some new components. Still highmarking every new 800 and it was almost toe to toe with a M1000. Chassis isn't so stock though. I'm hppy on it for another year, then it's a Nytro or a IQR project next.

B
Nov 27, 2007
Rovaniemi, Finland
Your dad isn't only one who would like to do some comparsions :D I'd pleasingly would like to measure those too. The finishing looks really good (even pics are small). Those must have been very prizey things some day.

I agree 790 is hard too. Even my engine isn't properly tuned yet, it did show some storm signs for my mod rotax 800 pals :D

J

JPM

Nov 30, 2007
Alberta
Yes they were pricey new they were 1200$ american just for the cyls new. Now they are more affordable used and can be found once and a while. They were an overlooked setup because of the timing of their introduction, but will still put a hurt on lots of so called newer tech.

Premium Features