• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Deckover Trailers

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Are deck over trailers becoming less popular? It seems that majority of new trailers for sale are the ones lower to the ground with the wheel wells in the trailer. What is everyone's opionion on pros and cons to each??

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
We just sold a inline trailer to move to a deckover. The inline was great when you were on the highway and other flat surfaces. It was a 7x25 and the tail would drag everywhere. I could not believe how many hotels even it would drag a lower corner while trying to get in off the road. Also once off road the low ground clearance was even more noticeable. I do notice a little more wind drag with the deck over but not enough to matter in my world. Will get a season on the new one and see how it works.

But you are right there are getting to be very few deckover trailers out there. Especially new. We ended up going used, found a good deal locally and will use the price difference to put some upgrades in this one.

S

skidoorulz

Nov 21, 2007
Billings Montana
I have a deck over and would keep it but now I need a trailer to haul a vehicle also so I am looking at several different brands of what they call the All sport trailer. Maybe that is why people are going to the other kind. Versatility. With a deck over in order to get the rear opening height to load say a side by side you need an 80 inch opening. That puts the trailer pretty high and then a lot of room underneath for a big gust of wind to send it sailing.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Went with a wheel well in the trailer. Can haul ATVs UTVs and even a car , Jeep etc. Use it for many different sports. A sports trailer should have better resale than a deckover.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I've said it before in other posts.... Tom me, It's always interesting that many want their trucks as tall as possible, but their trailers as low as possible??

It has to do with ramp angles as explained by Haulmark plant engineer in Arizona. Guess it is easier to load vehicles with lower ramp angles.

CB.8

Skidoo hill crew
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
I have had both. Won't go back to the deck over. Wider axeles, lower cg, better ramp angles.. They just pull better. The only disadvantage I can see to my new trailer is mounting a propane bottle underneath was a little more challenging.

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
All these comments make a lot of sense! Guess my next trailer I should look for a non deckover!

Premium Features