• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BD sidekick

H

HRM81312

Jan 1, 2015
I have read nothing but good things about Boondockers sidekick turbo set up. My question is; how many(or has anyone) added the kit prior to the 18 hour "break in" period?

pappabruce

Lifetime Membership
Mar 14, 2011
I have read nothing but good things about Boondockers sidekick turbo set up. My question is; how many(or has anyone) added the kit prior to the 18 hour "break in" period?

Put the side kick kit on mine before I pulled the rope for first time. Should be fine just hard not to rod on it too hard before the motor is broke in. Sled runs strong and it is a sweet pull and go system. The problem I am having is exhaust valve codes and then it dies, tow it back and it fires right up with no problems or codes, but sounds like more people are having this issue and it's the harness connectors on the axys are not very good so going to take them all apart and grease and zip tie. Sounds like that will fix the issue, tomarrows project then test ride.

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
I installed mine at 50 miles. And I haven't had any issues. I have around 250 miles with the kit. It's been pull and go. The guy above is the first person I've heard with connection issues and I haven't had any codes thrown. I ride 6,000-9,500 ft. I also have been running 1.5 gallons of race fuel just to be safe. The sled is a riot!

Last edited:

pappabruce

Lifetime Membership
Mar 14, 2011
Put the side kick kit on mine before I pulled the rope for first time. Should be fine just hard not to rod on it too hard before the motor is broke in. Sled runs strong and it is a sweet pull and go system. The problem I am having is exhaust valve codes and then it dies, tow it back and it fires right up with no problems or codes, but sounds like more people are having this issue and it's the harness connectors on the axys are not very good so going to take them all apart and grease and zip tie. Sounds like that will fix the issue, tomarrows project then test ride.

I should add I'm 99.9% positive the turbo has nothing to do with my exhaust valve codes.

My 2 cents is if you can afford the side kick kit it is well worth it, it is a true pull and go system.

P

polarisblue

Jan 16, 2014
Flat land sidekick

I am very happy with this kit , I ride at 1800 ft it is flawless Boondocker hit the nail on the head with this one. I took a RMK assault and turned it into a flatland sled it runs over 120MPH on the dream meter. I also installed the kit before pulling the rope.

H

HRM81312

Jan 1, 2015
Thanks all for the replies. Ordered the sidekick last night w/ the MTA oil-less upgrade. This will be my first turbo and I am looking forward to it!

Did you guys do the install yourself?

I am in eastern Nebraska so performance shops are pretty limited around here. Install seems fairly straight forward....we will see.

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Are all of your kits just the base kit with no add-ons? Or did you guys upgrade anything?

Thanks all for the replies. Ordered the sidekick last night w/ the MTA oil-less upgrade. This will be my first turbo and I am looking forward to it!

Did you guys do the install yourself?

I am in eastern Nebraska so performance shops are pretty limited around here. Install seems fairly straight forward....we will see.

My sidekick has no upgrades.

I had a couple of my buddies help me do the install it took about 6-7 hours. The install is very straight forward.

pappabruce

Lifetime Membership
Mar 14, 2011
Are all of your kits just the base kit with no add-ons? Or did you guys upgrade anything?

I am at about 900' at home and boondocker told me to run it at that elevation I needed the tial exhaust system, and put the inter cooler on for more consistent, and lower charge temps

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
Why would you need a intercooler at lower elevation vs high? At lower elevations you are going to be making less boost. Sounds to me like theyre trying to up sale you...

pappabruce

Lifetime Membership
Mar 14, 2011
Why would you need a intercooler at lower elevation vs high? At lower elevations you are going to be making less boost. Sounds to me like theyre trying to up sale you...

I made the decision on the inter cooler, they said I needed the tial. When I ride higher elevations in Wyoming where 90% of this sled is ridden it will run around 7lbs and with ptp switch around 9lbs, maybe not needed but figure it would be more consistent power. Maybe it was a waste of $$$?

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
I made the decision on the inter cooler, they said I needed the tial. When I ride higher elevations in Wyoming where 90% of this sled is ridden it will run around 7lbs and with ptp switch around 9lbs, maybe not needed but figure it would be more consistent power. Maybe it was a waste of $$$?

At 7psi maybe a bit of a waste but still prolly gonna get some performance from it... IMO if your gonna spend the money on the full IC, Tial, GTX/MTA, I would be running race gas and 12-14psi.... Then your gonna need skid work to hold the front down, prolly should be running chain case, clutch belts and motor/reeds not gonna last as long.

I think thats kinda the point of the Sidekick IMO, simple light weight usable power that you don't have to run race fuel or do much to the rest of the sled to handle it. Not gonna be the baddest sled on the mountain just a for fun lil backcountry banger.

We'll see soon enough, in the process of installing mine now

Premium Features