• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

13 pro wont idle

tinkerjohnson

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2008
Southern utah
a little stumped on this one , it started fine in the trailer let it run for a while it smoked pretty bad but nothing un ordinary from setting all summer. a couple days later went out stared it was idling fine for a min then it died, started it back up and pulled it out of the trailer and into the shop and a puddle 2 feet around of oil and fuel on m y shop floor sled wouldnt idle, i fiured it was just loaded up and just needed to be run and burned out. so i went on doing some maintence and preseason work, replaced the reeds fuel filter and plugs pulled the sled out jacked it up ad run it several times now it will kinda idle when cold but not at all when warm, i have checked the tps setting it has not changed since new stil at .70 base and .94 idle checked the tss and throttle free play fuel ressure a little over 60 psi, copression is 130 on both sdes, drained all fuel and put new fresh fuel in it, reeds are brand new, what am i missing here it doesnt just die like the kill switch it slowly drops rpm till it dies

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Just a WAG from what you've checked. I'd check the pipe temp sensor, with that much oil it may have taken it out? or be reading out of range?

tinkerjohnson

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2008
Southern utah
Just a WAG from what you've checked. I'd check the pipe temp sensor, with that much oil it may have taken it out? or be reading out of range?

good idea i was actually gonna try that i have some resistors all made up for that. i have no check engine light but it may not be reading bad enouh to set a light, its gotta be somthing easy, was idling perfect till then

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
As mentioned...the puddle of fuel/oil or coolant coming out of the exhaust is the reason for the runnability issue.

We need to make sure it's not coolant, and if not then it sounds like injectors stuck open. Neither of which will cause a check engine light to come on. Mechanical issue.

tinkerjohnson

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2008
Southern utah
possitively not coolant. could be a stuck injector, although it dont seem to be sticking now, no more excess fuel oil coming out the exhaust. not real sure how much fuel it was could have been all oil it was pretty thick, maybe the oil pump is stuck pumping too much oil, the linkage is working fine

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
I'm curious as to what's going on , my 13 smoked real bad on start up this year and I also have had big puddles of oil under mine after both starts. definitely oil and for sure from the pipe. no running problem though, it makes me wonder if your running problem and the oil from the pipe are 2 different problems, I'd recheck your maintenance work first.

tinkerjohnson

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2008
Southern utah
I'm curious as to what's going on , my 13 smoked real bad on start up this year and I also have had big puddles of oil under mine after both starts. definitely oil and for sure from the pipe. no running problem though, it makes me wonder if your running problem and the oil from the pipe are 2 different problems, I'd recheck your maintenance work first.

it had the puddle and idle problem before i even started working on it, just nothing has fixed it, sled run with o issues last season thinking about just taking it out and running it and see what happens maybe i have more issues or it will fix itself

tinkerjohnson

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2008
Southern utah
What do I the plugs indicate is it running rich and fouling plugs? Do you have access to DW?

i would say it acts like its running rich, i have a fuel controller and i can pull fuel out and it will idle longer, if i pull more fuel out the engine starts missing and dying from lack of fuel, to me it acts like the choke is stuck on sort of speak, will run ok for a min then it starts to slowly die. i have a dealer with a dw close by if i need to, out of warrenty so just trying to find it myself if i can

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
Put some fuel down the plug holes and see if it runs better or worse. I had a kinked fuel filter line in spring and I swore the thing was over fueling as the plugs were wet when I pulled them after it slowly died. Fuel down the holes and it would run much better until out of fuel again.

Premium Features