• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris clutch change over

S

sledheadjake

Aug 31, 2009
Bonners Ferry ID
How much does it cost tohave a polaris p85 clutch set up to run on a m8 and who out there does that kind of work for clutch setups, thanks.

S

sledheadjake

Aug 31, 2009
Bonners Ferry ID
I just called and talked to them they said it is complete springs weights, he said they have a couple of people testing out the clutches right now in a couple weeks he should be able to tell if there are any problems with them if any.

FTXMOTORSPORTS

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
WESTERN WASHINGTON
www.ftxmotorsports.com
That is mostly correct!-we are machining kits right now and they will be available in the next few days. Testing will continue to allow us to find ideal calibration set ups for those of you that may want us to supply calibration components but our initial durability testing is complete.
This is not an entirely new program as we have been machining P85s for Cat applications for years-just not the M8-hence the testing!

So, to answer the questions: In the kit we are supplying a NEW CFI P85 primary, custom machined for the M8 both in taper and belt to sheave areas, then it is balanced and assembled. We also supply a custom primary bolt and step washer, alignment bar and a custom puller. The kit sells for $880.00

We can also supply calibration components at comparable prices to anyone else if you would like.

We currently offer these clutches for the M8, M7 and also the older 1M 8 and 900 twins(or any big bore variation of them).

Here's what you gain: far less vibration(our clutch is far lighter and better balanced), more aggressive shift characteristics(sheave angle and weight pin location/profile differences), a far more durable clutch and a clutch that can be easily and inexpensively maintained. This package gives your M-sled the responsiveness and aggressive holeshot that they should have always had!(and you can quit buying throwaway Cat primaries)

We'll get more info up on the site in the next day or so for you-in the meantime, feel free to call or P.M. with any other questions you may have.

I would also like to thank our clutch testers for their riding time commitment and feedback on this project in particular-most notably Jason over in Colorado who has been mercilesly abusing our clutch package in all that fresh pow they've been blessed with!

4Z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2002
Western Washington
community.webshots.com
As in, with clutch, weights, spring?

Just curious.

Whos running them, hows it working, etc

I have been one of the testers this season for this update. It has been through alot of abuse from wet and heavy to fluffy 3' pow. I have been very pleased with how it performs. One thing right out of the gate I noticed is that it being way lighter, the motor is much more responsive, and upshift is very aggressive. Running lighter weight too. Belt temps was not an issue. Albeit I never used the stock secondary, running a RKT with 10.4".

Sled is a '05 M7 with FTX BB ported 800.
SLP Twins (wrapped)
PC5 (Racinstation)
14:1 CR
55/65 gearing
162 CE 2.5
3k-5k elevation
No hood decals and Frog Skins!

Good, all-around set up:
10-74's, Almond spring
RKT straight 36* and RKT custom "dual rate" spring
Stock M7 gearing (57-63)

Favorite set up:
Polaris Black/Green spring and old style 65g base Heel Clickers (heal loaded with two washers)
RKT straight 36* with Aaen Brown spring.
Engagement 3600 RPM and a tight belt to sheave clearance (10-15 thou)

Future changes to try:
Poo series 11 weights (curious)
RKT 38/36 or 40/36 helix (with the current lower gearing of 55-65)
MDS?

$0.02

Last edited:

Feb 10, 2010
Hi this is Jason, and yes I have been beating the pulp out of this clutch. This clutch setup is running on my 2010 M8, this is possibly the best performance item that I have purchased for this sled. I own Steamboat Snowmobile tours, so I pretty much live on Rabbit Ears pass. Today was the first day of real riding with this setup, the r's (8150) were perfect all day, every hit at the hill. The clutch temps were NOT hot, the snow was bottomless, 3,4 and 5 feet, my cat clutch would have been on fire after an afternoon of riding in conditions like this. Yes I am in the process of getting a set of MDS cam arms, I ran these arms in my Cat clutch prior to getting this Polaris clutch. Keep all of this info to yourself, I don't want my friends to know why they are getting beat up so bad. So if you are going to buy performance stuff for your sled then this clutch is the ticket, I will keep you informed as to how the MDS arms workout in my PolCat.
FYI the clutch is 3lbs lighter than your current cat clutch that would be three pounds of rotating mass...
No matter what anyone tells you the MDS arms work in a cat clutch, will they work in this polcat, We will find out..
So moral of the story Go ahead Call Steve 1-505-899-0605 and buy the MDS cam arms
Then Call Fastrax 1-253-848-0908 and order your new reliable, and well built Polaris clutch
I hate to give away my secrets but both of these companies are developing the best performance products for our sleds... this message will be deleted in 24 hours, just to protect my secrets HAHA...

4Z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2002
Western Washington
community.webshots.com
Interesting idea but ouch on the price!

The way I saw it was: "Pay me now or pay more later"
$500 for a replacement cat, more often than a one-time $800 purchase.
After I sail past the second new cat clutch need, It has paid for itself.

If I have a new cat clutch on already or still in warranty, I would not even look at the Poo option.

T

Tookes

Nov 26, 2007
Anchorage
This is great stuff, keep up the testing info. This could be on the upgrade part for next year. Thanks guys! :D

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The way I saw it was: "Pay me now or pay more later"
$500 for a replacement cat, more often than a one-time $800 purchase.
After I sail past the second new cat clutch need, It has paid for itself.

If I have a new cat clutch on already or still in warranty, I would not even look at the Poo option.

If you're paying $500 for a cat clutch, you need a new dealer. :face-icon-small-hap

M

M6johnny

Dec 4, 2007
Brookings SD
If you're paying $500 for a cat clutch, you need a new dealer. :face-icon-small-hap

That is pretty much the going price. Ive called 4 dealers and 2 of them are very big cat dealers and 500 is pretty close to what they get for the 2010 and 2011 primary. If you're getting a better price, what dealer are you going through???

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
That is pretty much the going price. Ive called 4 dealers and 2 of them are very big cat dealers and 500 is pretty close to what they get for the 2010 and 2011 primary. If you're getting a better price, what dealer are you going through???

Free agent, WAY less.

Bought a new one from Racinstation for way less last year too.

Last edited:
Premium Features