• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Interesting new product.

CB.8

Skidoo hill crew
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
Hope that sucker stays in ... can you imagine the carnage if the primary came off at 8000RPM? :face-icon-small-sho

Been there. Done that. Got the tee shirt. But it was more like at 8500 rpm on a triple. The clutch coming off really did not do that much damage. My brother in law that was watching my clutch plug fly out into the snow, rear ended me at 35mph. That did much more damage.

Rob

1100Cat

Nov 29, 2007
Anyone interested in this new product pm or email me can set you up with one and will try to offer the best price around.

1100Cat

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
anyone else get the update they sent in the mail to those that purchased this kit? it comes with a plastic thrust type washer to go between the outer cover and the aluminum adjuster contact points. it also comes with new instructions for installation, and adjustment.

just a heads up for those that may not know there is an update. ski

gopher-it!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
washer

Just put mine in last night. Looks like the stock bolt has a lock washer but the ABC does not. I know of 2 sleds that the stock bolt fell out of, which tells me it's an issue to start with. Hope that sucker stays in ... can you imagine the carnage if the primary came off at 8000RPM? :face-icon-small-sho

Maybe I'll just zip-tie my torque wrench to the bars since it won't fit in the backpack.

dont know about yours but my instructions said to remove washer from stock bolt and use on abc. no plastic washer though?

J

JJC

Mar 9, 2009
testing results

Anybody test these kits on the snow yet?

M

m7ryder

Sep 26, 2009
i just put 100 miles on mine, took it off when i got back home, looks good so far threads in good shape, set screw still tight. I think it was excellent on the snow, nice smooth engagement. The only thing i didnt like is that upon inspection my primary had black rubber marks on the sheaves from the bottom to about a half inch above the top of the belt when the clutch is wide open. i think i might of had it set a little tight.

Last edited:
I

I_boondock

Nov 6, 2001
Anchorage, AK
Handy

If nothing else, it makes a great third hand for swapping primary springs on the sled. :face-icon-small-hap

ThirdHand.jpg

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
is there anyone that has actually USED this product, like have seen the results because of this BOLT? 120 for an untested product is BS!

What he said....even to the maker....what kind of testing did you do to try to measure these differences and claims of longer belt life, longer clutch life, increase performance? Or is this all theory?

Just asking, thanks.

B

BCP

Feb 26, 2008
Bay City
I also purchased the ABC as well as the 911 cover. Read about it in the new Snow tech mag and thought it was great, as the alternative to a pricy STM primary or HPE, although they still do not have the bushing contact area of the 911. Bikeman, DD are now making a shim for the primary to adjust the sheave to belt clearance since they see the stock setting as an engagment issue as well - which to me is part of the up shift!! Significant to me, yes! I talked to Thundershift Products for a good 45min berfore I was set on the purchase, they told me that they had done alot of testing with the Yamaha's and had no problems. My biggest concern was that he told me these products are a great addition to 150hp sleds.........running 230ish I asked what his thoughts would be. He assured me that the product would hold up and that I would be happy. Now that I have it in my hand I am pleasantly surprised at the quality of craftsmanship and easy to install directions. i have not had it on snow but when I do I will beat the snot out of it and let you know.

I enjoy trying new products, snowmobiling is my passion and new concepts are part of that.........JUST like Kelseys' secondary conversion that I bought 2 years ago and is now $260 worth of paper weight, not dogging you RKT i think you are very inteligent and some of your products are excelent but the reverse never worked even after your 100% garantee, after the 2nd washer attempt and multiple other ideas - did it shift like a bad mother - yes - did it do everything you said it would - no -, but once again I accept that as a consumer who enjoys talking to people such as yourselfs and T.P's. and then running your dreams on my machine. Good, bad or indifferent after haveing this product in hand and seeing that similar products have been around for years, i am going to try this idea and enjoy tinkering with it.

Great thread!

Chris Washabaugh

Last edited:
D

Desperado

Nov 29, 2007
New Meadows
TTT, I'd like to hear from Racinstation since he should have had a bunch of time on the snow with it by now. How is the product working, any issues?

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Have a bunch on the snow now with no issues. I have been so tied up setting up sleds that we have modded that I have not had much time on my test mules. I have an ABC kit on my M1000 and have 350 miles on it. What I have noticed is smoother engagement, the ability to keep my belt to sheave clearance consistent, and longer life on belts. Because of awesome snow this season all of these miles have been on the first belt of the season in DEEP and HEAVY snow conditions.

I am going to install the 911 cover this week and will report back on it as well. The cover just captures the posts better and should aid in belt heat and in clutch life because of less tower flex.

4Z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2002
Western Washington
community.webshots.com
Eric, can you tell if the weights are "smacking" the rollers?

HRP quad cam used this method as well but with different teflon washers for adjustment. I just had to make sure the spider was adjusted far enough in that the weights would not bang the rollers. If they hit too hard they would break them.

N

newtrout

Oct 1, 2001
Central Washington
Eric, can you tell if the weights are "smacking" the rollers?

HRP quad cam used this method as well but with different teflon washers for adjustment. I just had to make sure the spider was adjusted far enough in that the weights would not bang the rollers. If they hit too hard they would break them.

If they aren't hitting stock, they aren't gonna hit with the ABC installed.

I'm running one of these now. Who knows about belt life, etc. All I can tell you is that my engagement is now silky smooth. This will let you run a primary spring with a higher engagement and still have a smooth engagement.

4Z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2002
Western Washington
community.webshots.com
If they aren't hitting stock, they aren't gonna hit with the ABC installed.

As you adjust the movable sheave in, the gap between the weights and spider roller increases. I have seen rollers break due to, too much clearance. Also as mentioned earlier, the mass (belly) of the weight contact is changed now. Kind of like "un-tucking" the weight. This has an effect on when the leverage is applied.
Prolly not a big deal in this case. But worth mentioning.

I am thinking about running this or making my own version for the P85 on my sled. Since the Heel Clickers I am running have a very aggressive shift, it is harder on the belt.... and don't want to give up the way I can build track speed so quickly, this may be the ticket..... to keep the clearance tight, instead of just changing out belts or re-shimming so often....

R

rigrat

Apr 19, 2008
Alberta
Installed the kit on my 06 M7. Could not ask for smoother clutch engagement. No more putting up with harsh engagement because of too much belt to sheave clearance and sled wanting to dig a trench when taking off in the fluffy bottomless stuff. Just need to install one on my M1000 now.:face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features