• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2008 GM 6.0 opinions

B
Dec 13, 2007
Currently running a 2001 GMC 1500 HD with the 6 litre. I Pull a 30ft travel trailer with it in the summer (10K lbs) and a 2 place snow trailer in the winter. We need a new family rig so rather than buying a SUV im thinking about upgrading the truck and getting a beater car for me to run around in. Been really considering a 2008 and up GM 2500 HD with the 6 litre. Looking for opinions on it. How is that new 6 speed tranny? Fly by wire throttle? any reliability issues? Is the new body style cheaply done (mainly interior)?

Thanks in advance

M
Nov 29, 2007
Goodrich, ND
we have an 08 3/4 ton 4 door short box as out shop truck. Personally I'd rather drive the 96 suburban we have instead. The 6 litre is a fuel hog, and the six speed tranny always seems to be hunting for gears. The interior is cheaply made, and far from plush. IMO the 06 and older were a much nicer truck. To me, the truck is just akward to drive, theres a mile of hood out in front of you, and ours just doesn't handle all that well. Feels like your driving a tank. I'm sure others will feel very differently, this is just my opinion. Hope it helps.

C
Jan 8, 2005
Calgary
I'm driving some 2009 GM 6.0L w/6spd that were originally delivered as cab & chassis trucks (significance of that is apparently reduced HP & torque compared to fully finished trucks). A buddy has an '04 6.0L w/4spd that kicks these new ones any day in performance. I am disappointed with the 6 spd tranny wishing it would have given the truck better performance. Makes lots of noise, revs & burns gas but little else. And agreed with previous posts that the interior is a lessor quality. I was considering a new GM 6.0L of my own til I drove them at work, now I'll keep looking for alternatives and probably go with diesel.

That said, go drive one yourself as each person likes and dislikes are different. I am just disappointed with the engine/tranny/gearing performance of the new GM's.

N

Nubulin

Oct 26, 2005
Flatlands USA :(
Well, I have the opposite view as the rest of the replies. IMO the new interior is light-years better than the old one. Rides better, quieter, better brakes, etc, etc. Sure the 6 spd shifts more, but it has more gears, so isn't that to be expected? More gears with smaller sweet spots, but 6 of them instead of 4?

Of course I am comparing surburbans/Yukon XLs, but the parts are all the same.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
i work at a local gm dealer and have driven every year truck from 2000-now, i personly love the new trucks, except the seats, other than that, the new trucks are nice, the 6.0s are fuel hogs which is there down fall. if you get a tahoe/suburb, get a 6.2. lots of power

Premium Features