• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 M8 oil tank warpage

bgreen776

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Kenai, AK
www.backcountryrebles.com
hey guys ... Coldfinger mentioned the seams from the molding process were a bit thick on his sled .. noticed one reservoir at the dealer looked the same .. here is my suggestion .. take a hot blade and press the seam flat so insert will install easier .. or use hot blade to shave away some of the excess plastic .. guys are having to do the same on a SKIDOO REV chassis .. some are just chipping away excess plastic with a utility knife .. simply heating the blade prior to doing this so the cut will be cleaner and easier .. removal of 1/16" on each side is all is needed at most .. 9 of 10 guys are not having to remove any plastic .. inserts are made to be a tight fit, so be careful removing any plastic from reservoir opening top edge .. insert will come with an o-ring for a tight seal .. email if interested in ordering .. i have many aluminum tank inserts in stock .. ship daily

I put your inserts in both my current M8's. One didn't leak bad, the other was so bad I thought I would have to buy a new tank and install your insert as a preventative measure.

Both tanks had heavy seams inside the neck so I milled flats on the insert. No more leaks! Best money I've spent on a sled so far. Inexpensive, extremely light weight, and they work exactly as described. AND all I did was send an email asking about the availability. Dan called me back on his own and I placed the order right over the phone. Couple days later I dropped an insert into my oil jug instead of hacking the stock tank out and replacing with a new one that would have leaked soon anyway!

bgreen776

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Kenai, AK
www.backcountryrebles.com
That cat heat shield is a bad joke if your riding conditions or engine modifications make a lot of heat. The bottle insert has been working great on my sleds since I installed it. Its been a few hundred miles of aggressive mountain riding, rolling down hills, and rolling the sled to get it un-stuck dozens of times. No more mess. I don't want to sound like a fan boy but its so rare that a product does exactly as claimed, and even more rare when its inexpensive.

D

DAN03REV

Oct 20, 2008
ALGONA, IOWA
That cat heat shield is a bad joke if your riding conditions or engine modifications make a lot of heat. The bottle insert has been working great on my sleds since I installed it. Its been a few hundred miles of aggressive mountain riding, rolling down hills, and rolling the sled to get it un-stuck dozens of times. No more mess. I don't want to sound like a fan boy but its so rare that a product does exactly as claimed, and even more rare when its inexpensive.

Now this is exactly what I wanted to hear .. cheap insurance that just plain does the job .. plain and simple it works

working on contacting dealers direct to help you guys out .. shouldnt have to worry about warpage and oil leaks .. have your dealer contact me at dan_03rev@yahoo.com

Last edited:

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Did I already say this, to get rid of the 2 large molding seams on the inside of the oil tank neck (2010 M8) I heated the knurled end of a wratchet wrench and gently pressed that against the seam and rotated it at the same time and the plastic melted right away.

D

DAN03REV

Oct 20, 2008
ALGONA, IOWA
Did I already say this, to get rid of the 2 large molding seams on the inside of the oil tank neck (2010 M8) I heated the knurled end of a wratchet wrench and gently pressed that against the seam and rotated it at the same time and the plastic melted right away.

Perfect !! .. Simple as it can get right there

J
Jul 21, 2008
Kirkland
Yeah I tried these DANREV03 aluminum neck inserts and the oil WILL leak around the cap.

The depth on the top edge of the insert that seats itself on the top of the oil bottle is too tall, so what ends up happening is the oil cap will not thread far enough down to seal properly. If you try to tighten to hard the oil cap begins to cross-thread itself.

I installed two (2) DANREV03 inserts on two (2) brand new 2011 M8's with zero miles and I have leaking on both sleds. The leaks take two forms. If the machine ends upside down lot's of oil is coming out. Regular riding produces leaking all around the neck and down the bottle.

I am going to bring my sleds in for warranty to see if Cat will fix. What a pain for something so MINOR! Cat should be embarrassed for itself.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Yes, Cat should do something but they didn't on mine.

Make sure you have the thick seams, if you have them, smoothed out and make sure the o-ring is on the sleeves.

Yes, the top lip of the insert is a tad thick but still works better than stock.

D

DAN03REV

Oct 20, 2008
ALGONA, IOWA
Yeah I tried these DANREV03 aluminum neck inserts and the oil WILL leak around the cap.

The depth on the top edge of the insert that seats itself on the top of the oil bottle is too tall, so what ends up happening is the oil cap will not thread far enough down to seal properly. If you try to tighten to hard the oil cap begins to cross-thread itself.

I installed two (2) DANREV03 inserts on two (2) brand new 2011 M8's with zero miles and I have leaking on both sleds. The leaks take two forms. If the machine ends upside down lot's of oil is coming out. Regular riding produces leaking all around the neck and down the bottle.

I am going to bring my sleds in for warranty to see if Cat will fix. What a pain for something so MINOR! Cat should be embarrassed for itself.

did you try removing the Oring .. if the sleeve matches top lip of reservoir perfectly, you probably dont need the oring ..

mikew5945

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2009
SW Montana

did you try removing the Oring .. if the sleeve matches top lip of reservoir perfectly, you probably dont need the oring ..

Joel, I had the same problem with my 2011 M8. I removed the O-ring and used RTV sealant around the bottle neck and sleeve. It never leaked all year. I also didn't have to crank the cap down after that.

D

DAN03REV

Oct 20, 2008
ALGONA, IOWA
the oring is there for added insurance only .. i have had many guys tell me they had removed the oring with no leak issues .. the Mseries and Xfire are the only sleds i see the removal of the oring possibly necessary .. SKIDOO and POLARIS owners have not mentioned this issue .. the cap must not be grabbing the bottle neck thread soon enough on the CAT like it does on a DOO and POL .. i am looking at possibly making the top of the sleeve thinner so this issue is eliminated .. feedback like this helps me make a solid product

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Mine works great as well. I did have to remove some material around the seam area as well. Just make sure you get all the plastic shavings out of the tank before running the sled. Mine has not leaked since! I wish all aftermarket products were as effective as this little $15 oil tank ring! Great product!:tea:

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I took the insert out and sanded about half the thickness off the lip and it helps to make installing the cap easier but mine still leaks. Maybe I'll sand off some more and try removing the o-ring because now that the cap gets a better bite I could tighten a little more before it tries to crossthread.

I've considered removing the entire lip but I don't know how to ensure the insert will not drop into the tank. Maybe clean the neck/insert and rtv it. I just worry about rtv getting in the oil.

FYI - to sand the insert down, I placed a piece of duct tape around my drill chuck, put the insert onto that as far as I could, then duct taped the insert to the drill. Then while running the drill, I held some wet/dry sandpaper to the lip and kept wet with water. Worked real well. I think it was 220 grit but could use coarser stuff if I had some.

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
I took the insert out and sanded about half the thickness off the lip and it helps to make installing the cap easier but mine still leaks. Maybe I'll sand off some more and try removing the o-ring because now that the cap gets a better bite I could tighten a little more before it tries to crossthread.

I've considered removing the entire lip but I don't know how to ensure the insert will not drop into the tank. Maybe clean the neck/insert and rtv it. I just worry about rtv getting in the oil.

FYI - to sand the insert down, I placed a piece of duct tape around my drill chuck, put the insert onto that as far as I could, then duct taped the insert to the drill. Then while running the drill, I held some wet/dry sandpaper to the lip and kept wet with water. Worked real well. I think it was 220 grit but could use coarser stuff if I had some.

I fyou really want to fix your leaking oil cap.. we have a solution for it.

You can check it out.. here http://www.2strokeheads.com/othercustom.htm

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
RKT, does that bottom piece screw onto the tank threads?

Yes, you only need to install this cap 1 TIME and then you never take it off again.. No leaks and EASIER and FASTER fill ups due to not having to get pliers out to get your old cap off.. By the time your buddy gets his pliers out, you have already filled up and shut the hood..

You see.. the problem is NOT the oil bottle.. The oil bottle is fine.. The problem IS that the cap "ovals" and then it makes it difficult to get it on the bottle..

ALL the "off and on" of the oil cap IS what causing the issues.. So, remove the need to screw off the cap and your problem is solved..

Simple eh?

D

DAN03REV

Oct 20, 2008
ALGONA, IOWA
Mine works great as well. I did have to remove some material around the seam area as well. Just make sure you get all the plastic shavings out of the tank before running the sled. Mine has not leaked since! I wish all aftermarket products were as effective as this little $15 oil tank ring! Great product!:tea:

:face-icon-small-hap simple fix !!

coolm7cat

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2008
Montana
leak fix

im interested in this product. i have an 06 m7 with this problem. i dont have a paypal account. i live in montana how do i receive this fix from you? thanks

Premium Features