• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hatcher Pass Motorized Corridor-Meeting 16 Feb 10

A

akrevrider

Jan 15, 2008
Wasilla, Alaska
Assembly members Ewing and Arvin are set to introduce a resolution supporting snowmachine access to Hatcher Pass tomorrow night, Tuesday, Feb. 16, 7:00pm. Borough Manager Duffy will try to kill the resolution at introduction precluding a public hearing. It is urgent that you contact your Assembly member expressing outrage that the borough would cut the public out, that they have an obligation to introduce the resolution so the public can comment.
Information to contact assembly is at www.matsugov.us/Assembly/meet-the-assembly
Urgent!! Please call your assembly members tonight or tomorrow before the meeting.
Jim Colver 746-5300 (wk) 745-9845 (fax) Email: jimcolver@mtaonline.net
Cindy Bettine 892-8877 (hm) Email: cindybettine@mtaonline.net
Mark Ewing 864-0855 (hm) 745-9845 (fax) Email: markewing@mtaonline.net
Ronald G. Arvin 373-6685 (hm) 745-9845 (fax) Email: ronarvin@mtaonline.net
Pete Houston 354-6308 (hm) 745-9845 (fax) E-mail: akpete@mtaonline.net
Lynne Woods 745-4527 (hm) 746-6359 (fax) E-mail: aklynne@mtaonline.net
We can make a difference. “The squeaky wheel gets the grease”. Please contact your assembly representatives -- and pass this email on to like minded friends asking for their help.
Please forward this email on to everyone on your friendly email list that is a Matsu resident.

A

akrevrider

Jan 15, 2008
Wasilla, Alaska
A resolution to support motorized access

A Resolution of the Matanuska-Susitna Borough Assembly supporting a motorized offroad
recreation corridor along the approximate route of the Carle Wagon Trail as it enters
the Hatcher Pass Management Area (HPMA), Government Peak Subunit, at mile 1
Edgerton-Parks Road to the existing motorized corridor going from the Gold Mint Trail
Parking Area to the top of Hatcher Pass and supporting a motorized off-road recreation
corridor from the Carle Wagon Road as it enters the HPMA, Government Peak Subunit
west to the area open to motorized use beyond Government Creek in the HPMA, Hillside
Subunit.
Whereas, superior access would be provided for snowmachiners, from areas outside of
Hatcher Pass to the south
Whereas, a historic trail the Carle Wagon Road would be resurrected and it use for as a
motorized recreation trail would be compatible with reconstruction to its original
condition.
Whereas, traditional motorized access for residents in the Fishhook area would be
accommodated and enhanced.
Whereas, these accesses would provide a critical link for a world class trail system that
would extend from the Chickaloon-Nelchina trails in the east to the Susitna Valley trails
in the west.
Whereas, current access to Eastern Hatcher Pass for snowmachiners is limited to two
parking lots, this is by far the best way to increase access.
Whereas, traffic and congestion in Hatcher Pass would be alleviated in the winter
because snowmachiners could park outside the mountain confines to access Hatcher Pass.
Whereas, none of the plans the Mat-Su Borough has for a downhill ski area and a cross
country ski area would be substantially impacted by these accesses and with proper
planning this area could become multiuse recreation center.
Now, Therefore, be it resolved that the Matanuska-Susitna Borough Assembly supports
a motorized off-road recreation corridor along the approximate route of the Carle Wagon
Trail as it enters the Hatcher Pass Management Area (HPMA), Government Peak
Subunit, at mile 1 Edgerton-Parks Road to the existing motorized corridor going from the
Gold Mint Trail Parking Area to the top of Hatcher Pass and supports a motorized offroad
recreation corridor from the Carle Wagon Road as it enters the HPMA, Government
Peak Subunit west to the area open to motorized use beyond Government Creek in the
HPMA, Hillside Subunit.
Be It Further Resolved that the Matanuska-Susitna Borough Assembly direct the
Borough Manager to incorporate this motorized corridor into its planning for use of the
lease held by the Borough and that the Borough Manager direct Dowl Engineering to
incorporate it into EIS presently underway.
Be It Further Resolved by the Matanuska-Susitna Borough Assembly that the
Department of Natural Resources, Division of Lands and Waters be informed that the
Assembly supports Revision of the Hatcher Management Plan to include this motorized
corridor in the Government Peak Subunit.

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
thanks for the info. too bad so many alaska people have run off and are not going to see this. is this posted on bcr yet?

A

akrevrider

Jan 15, 2008
Wasilla, Alaska
thanks for the info. too bad so many alaska people have run off and are not going to see this. is this posted on bcr yet?

Ultrarider posted it over there on BCR....... Thanks Ultra..

I sent messages to all six Assembly members requesting their support on this resolution.

Dear Assembly Member,

We support a Resolution of the Matanuska-Susitna Borough Assembly supporting a motorized off road recreation corridor along the approximate route of the Carle Wagon Trail as it enters The Hatcher Pass Management Area (HPMA), Government Peak Subunit, at mile 1Edgerton-Parks Road to the existing motorized corridor going from the Gold Mint Trail Parking Area to the top of Hatcher Pass and supporting a motorized off-road recreation
Corridor from the Carle Wagon Road as it enters the HPMA, Government Peak Subunit west to the area open to motorized use beyond Government Creek in the HPMA, Hillside Subunit.

Thank you for your support on this issue,

akrevrider

C
Dec 8, 2009
Parkign at Hatcher Pass

Hey. If they do open up Hatcher Pass along the road, where are we going to park? I have to wonder how much Jim Turner is going to charge us to leave our trucks and trailers at his store!

A

akrevrider

Jan 15, 2008
Wasilla, Alaska
Parking at Turner's Corner

Hey. If they do open up Hatcher Pass along the road, where are we going to park? I have to wonder how much Jim Turner is going to charge us to leave our trucks and trailers at his store!

I'll have to ask him about that. Last time I seen him was when he testified before the Hatcher Pass planning committee in favor of our motorized access.
He is a stand up guy.. IMO
Jim Turner also ran for a seat on the Bourough Assembly and nearly won it. The person currently sitting in that seat is not in favor of motorized access.

Bottom line: We always stop by and purchase something from his store/gas station. If he decides to charge for parking I'm sure it would be a minumum fee.

W

Winter Project

Dec 3, 2007
Anchorage / Gwood
www.myspace.com
I heard that the new boundaries for motorized users in hatcher pass is expanding... at this point, it is just hear say, but if its true i guess it was worth going straight from Whittier to the meeting this past spring.

My source is a guy who is a member of the Ak mountaineering club... most of their members are big time anti-motorized. This guy is in one of my classes at UAA and is neutral.

I hope its true... :fencing::pop2::pop2::pop2::pop2:

A

akrevrider

Jan 15, 2008
Wasilla, Alaska
any word on how the meeting went?

Thank all you who called, emailed and turned out for the meeting. It did the job.

We had complete success Tuesday night. The MSB Assembly introduced the Hatcher Pass Motorized Access Resolution with out dissent. Borough Manager John Duffy agreed to work with Assembly members Mark Ewing and Ron Arvin to bring supporting documentation and preferred corridor alignment forward when it comes back for public hearing. The Public Hearing is set for Tuesday, March 2, at 7:00pm.

The battle is joined. This will be a Battle Royal. The greenies showed up in force last night hoping to kill the resolution. From their reaction to the Daily News article they will be motivated. We must generate an overwhelming turnout for the March meeting. I believe we can win but we must fight for it. (Jim Turner)

Information to contact assembly is at www.matsugov.us/Assembly/meet-the-assembly

Your assembly members.

We can make a difference. �The squeaky wheel gets the grease�. Please pass this email on to like minded friends asking for their help.

Please forward this email on to everyone on your friendly email list that is a Matsu resident.

A
Dec 11, 2007
Are Matsu residents the only members allowed, or can anyone that uses the area attend?

If so where will it be held on March 2?

BTW: This is one step, now we need to get the rangers to actually open the park before spring!!!

A

AkSummit

Nov 28, 2007
ALASKA
I will be there. If its time to get "real" on the situation everyone should find a way to show up. There is powers in numbers, just being there and making a showing is what snowmachiners need.

Thats the difference between us and the greenies, we have lives, familes, and careers, and what we do is recreation.

The greenies take this crap as a personal vendetta against "mother earth" and feel they have some "calling" to defend land against all things that go BRAAAP..

Its time we get SERIOUS and show up.. All of us. We have to make sure we look out for our play grounds before our kids have no place to play...

Joe

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Thank you akrevrider!!! This is huge. While it is only one step, it is a step in the right direction. Now to everyone else, I can not stress enough what a difference it makes to have people, real people and faces standing in a room when the next meeting happens. We went through this down here on the penninsula a few years back. It was the OVERWHELMING support of those that showed up face to face that got us what we did get. The fs guys admitted that they were flooded with emails from all over the country from the skier crowds wanting to limit us severly. They were ready to do so until we SHOWED UP! When you do show up, leave the ego and attitudes at the door. There is no place for those in a meeting/debate/adult discussion. It will only make us look like idiots. I will admit right now that living in Soldotna, I have no intention of trying to make that meeting. Short of calling into work sick for the day, it ain't gonna happen. Show up for me, for your kids, for your grandkids. Here we have a chance to get a new doop opened for us. It is so hard these days to just keep what we have open let alone gain ground. Please do what you can people. I will send emails to all of the addresses listed above. We all can. But it will take actually being there to really,truely make a difference. Bring your kids, teach them what a democracy is all about. Make it a learning tool. I did this with Spike (my son) when he was about 14 as this all came down here on the pennisula. It was an eyeopener for him, and something he will never forget, and something that he never grasped the depths of in the classroom. Sorry about the soapbox for those that may feel this is a rant. You will not feel that way if you see one of your favorite areas get shut down. Fight for this even if you don't intend to ride there and doesn't really matter to you at this current time in your life. It may some day to you or your family.

A

akrevrider

Jan 15, 2008
Wasilla, Alaska
Hatcher Pass Motorized Corridor-2 Mar Meeting

AOAA EMAIL Alert - MSB
Hatcher Pass Motorized Corridor

Snowmachiners and Motorized Sportsman, are you sick and tired
of being LOCKED OUT of you favorite areas by the Environmentalists?
FIGHT BACK NOW. ROLL BACK THE CLOSURES.

As a part of the Dept. of Natural Resources Hatcher Pass Management Plan
Revision the AOAA has proposed a New Motorized Access Corridor into the
Palmer Side of Hatcher Pass, So users can snowmachine from the Palmer Area to Willow.

MAT-SU Borough Assembly Members MARK EWING and RON ARVIN have
introduced a MAT-SU Borough Resolution (see attached) supporting this Corridor.

ITS PASSAGE IS ESSENTIAL.
A PUBLIC HEARING AND MAT-SU ASSEMBLY VOTE WILL BE ON
TUESDAY, MARCH 2 AT 7:00 PM in PALMER.

The Environmentalists are extremely motivated to defeat this resolution. If we
want to keep Alaska open to all we will have to fight for it.
PLEASE ATTEND THIS PUBLIC HEARING AND MAKE YOURSELF HEARD.

And right now e-mail or call all Assembly Members
with your support for this resolution. This is very important,
whether or not you are a Mat-Su Borough resident!

If you don’t, all they will hear is the Environmentalists, they are e-mailing.

E-MAIL YOUR SUPPORT RIGHT NOW TO THESE MSB ASSEMBLY MEMBERS.

Vern Halter 355-1190 (hm) 745-9845 (fax) E-mail vernhalter@mtaonline.net

Please forward this message to all South Central Alaskans on your friendly e-mail list

Thank You
Scott Hala
President
Alaska Outdoor Access Alliance

Premium Features