• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Seondary spring alternative.

D
Nov 28, 2007
There is a interesting spring out there right now from doo that is black or purple part number 417127062 it is listed in a doo clutch as 225/300. The longer free length gives the cat orange a run for her money in the cat clutch. Bigger diameter she will drop into the close ended helix.

This spring just may be what some sleds need to keep the RRR's up and better back shift over stock orange with a shift assist.

Don.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
That's the part number I have been looking for!

I have the Fett Brothers 195/288

The Straightline 185/315

and I wanted to try this Skidoo spring 225/300.

I have the Fett Brother's spring in now and love it. It's hard to even think of replacing it but, I have to try the Straightline spring too. Hopefully, I'll like that too.

D
Nov 28, 2007
Nice.

Man that Goodwin blue/yellow will sure put you over the bars with the 48/36!

Ya the blue/yellow is a tad tight for that helix but what fun Eh. A 48/40P is just about perfect with that spring. In the up the 48/38 and shift assist.

This new one posted has great results with a 48/44/40P and shift assist.

Don.

P.S. Ripass just wait till you clean up the primary the sled will be a total freak.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
The Fett Brothers spring (with my 45/37 multiangle helix) just woke up the sled from its slumber. It's now Game On all the time. It feels like driving a ferrari around in third gear. You nail it and it's gone. The backshift is better while climbing as well.

I imagine the Straightline will just be a tad bit even more hyper?

Do you guys have a good recommnedation for a secondary spring for my setup?

I have an 09 M8 Sno Pro 153" with the SLP Performance edition kit. I ride from 4-7,000 feet and weight 170 without gear. Up front I have the 74 gram MTX weights with 2 grams in the inner hole and 1 gram in the tip. The sled turns 8,180 on the trail now at 6,000 feet. My target shift speed with the SLP kit is 8,200 -8,250.

K

killerrf

Nov 27, 2007
sk
you could buy another black shim for the enclosed helix's and run 3 shims. that would stiffen up the cat spring even more... but it gets super close to coil binding but should work.

D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska
There is a interesting spring out there right now from doo that is black or purple part number 417127062 it is listed in a doo clutch as 225/300. The longer free length gives the cat orange a run for her money in the cat clutch. Bigger diameter she will drop into the close ended helix.

This spring just may be what some sleds need to keep the RRR's up and better back shift over stock orange with a shift assist.

Don.

I have the secondary out and I am going to put this spring in tomorrow.. Will let you know how it works out.. Thanks for the info..

D
Nov 28, 2007
you could buy another black shim for the enclosed helix's and run 3 shims. that would stiffen up the cat spring even more... but it gets super close to coil binding but should work.

IT is this springs longer free length that controls the shift better.

Don.

Griff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Good info, please report back with on snow results - ttt.

D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska

I can tell you that you better have a spring compression tool or another trick up your sleeve because this spring is about 2" longer than my stock spring. Can't get it easily seated like a standard cat secondary spring..

Last edited:
M
Feb 21, 2009

Don.

Don, I found this spring the beginning of this year and thought that it would be the perfect spring for my M7 so I ordered it, problem is that it doesn't fit my open ended adjustable helix. It's not narrow enough or wide enough to stay centered in the spring cups. I installed it centered to try it out and see if it would stay put and it was imediatly thrown off center in the cups. I took it out cuz I didn't like the idea of the spring putting side pressure on the bushings. Does it stay centered in the closed ended helix's?

This is the reason I never ordered a GP spring and am still stuck with the Orange, figured since the above mentioned is a XP stock spring, and that the GP springs are originally for the RER and XP clutches, that the GP's wouldn't stay centered in the open ended helix either... comments?

Thanks

D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska

Installed it on an 06 Crossfire 600. Took first ride and while not in the steep and deep this spring is a HUGE improvement over the stock green that was in the sled.. Smooth.. very smooth.. Took the sled and intentionally sunk it up to over the top of the seat and popped right up out no problems.. The stock setup had an engagement "smack" for lack of a better word. It was a very abrupt engagement. This spring has a much much smoother engagement.

Still have to spend some time in the deep stuff to really see how it works all around but prelim is it is definitely worth the $40.00

Post up more later when we get out in the steep and deep..

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Ok, I need to display a little ignorance here.

The Cat orange is rated at 170/305 at 1 7/16"

The Fett Brothers Green/White is rated at 198/288

The Straightline Silver is rated at 195/315

The Doo spring is rated at 225/300

So what changes in performance can I expect going from the Fett Brother's spring above to the Straightline spring above? Yes, the total force number is higher, what will that do to my shift up, shift down and shift speed?

So, I'm understanding the first number indicates the initial spring pressure it takes for the spring to start compressing or at 2.2" compression.

The second number is the force it takes to collapse the spring to a 1.1" overall height?

I notice no one seems to use the same compression distance when measuring spring tensions. So how can one compare spring rates without measuring them back to back?

D
Nov 28, 2007
Ok, I need to display a little ignorance here.

The Cat orange is rated at 170/305 at 1 7/16"

The Fett Brothers Green/White is rated at 198/288

The Straightline Silver is rated at 195/315

The Doo spring is rated at 225/300

So what changes in performance can I expect going from the Fett Brother's spring above to the Straightline spring above? Yes, the total force number is higher, what will that do to my shift up, shift down and shift speed?

So, I'm understanding the first number indicates the initial spring pressure it takes for the spring to start compressing or at 2.2" compression.

The second number is the force it takes to collapse the spring to a 1.1" overall height?

I notice no one seems to use the same compression distance when measuring spring tensions. So how can one compare spring rates without measuring them back to back?

See these number you have are not all given at the same length measured. In a cat clutch the rate will be lighter than 225/300 That rate is in a doo secondary.

The longer free length will give the smooth up shift and back shift and less hunting for a gear in the secondary. Great spring for the steep and deep.

I wish there was an industry standard for spring rate.

Don.

EDIT: never ever gave the centering of the spring much thought..... sorry I would say just run it.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Thanks Don.

You are referring to the Skidoo spring when you say

"The longer free length will give the smooth up shift and back shift and less hunting for a gear in the secondary. Great spring for the steep and deep".

Right?

If so, I'll order one.

Premium Features