• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 M8 Low End Bog

D
Sep 17, 2009
Foam Lake SK Canada
I haven't had a bog really...it's just if you let it idle sometimes it loads up. I bet it only happens sometimes because if you snap off the throttle, then pump goes to the proper position. But if you ease off it, it probably sticks.

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Mine started doing it more noticeably yesterday. What seems to be the fix? Oil pump, spring, what? Thanks guys! Other than that this sled rips!

S

skimike

Dec 21, 2009
bakersfield
my 2010 m-8 also has a bit of a rich fuel gurgle just above clutch engagement....i notice it if i'm doing a slow turn around and just need a little throttle, mostly at higher elevations above 8500' or so....i'm sure it's a fuel mapping problem, not a clutching problem (although having a low engagement will make it more noticable)....it doesn't as yet create a serious problem, as it's just a bit of a gurgle that cleans out immediately with more throttle, or a blip....my engine/exhaust is stock, 150 miles on sled, no oil in tank, good premium fuel....it has done it with stock clutching and also with my clutch changes.....not something a dealer is going to be able to fix, as it's an ecu mapping problem....as several people are reporting this, it's not likely an individual sled problem....if cat should want to re-map my ecu, i will say no thanks, 'cause otherwise it runs fantastic!!! :)
I agree mine does the exact same thing

L
Dec 13, 2008
another old fart

Not been on my new m8 yet. So far, no bog. Have been riding for about 30 years now, and what I read just makes me wonder what you all expect from a sled. It's a 2 stroke. It's a tempermental bastard. It's amazing what has been done to make them run as well and as problem free as they do. If you need to blurp the throttle or check the oil injection once in a while then do it. I can remember if you made a 20 mile ride without pulling back one or 2 sleds it was a problem free day. If GM had to built a car that ran all day at 8000 RPM and got the driver home at the end of the day they wouldn't be bankrupt. What we're riding today is amazing. When I started riding, without an Alpine you didn't get anywhere. Saw alot of country from half a tunnel, leaned how to change a belt and be patient watching other folks break trail. Love the new sleds. Don't have to wait on anything execpt my own inexperience. Stop ranting about a bog once in a while and learn how to ride around little things like that. If it ani't dead it'll get you home.

I have also been riding for 30+years. I expected problams like this back in the old days and delt with them but this is 2010 my new m8 cost over 11 grand and I donot expect to have to ride it and just deal with it. when I hit the throttel I want it to come alive, not bog and chocke and leave me sitting in the bottem of a hole. but if this dont bother you thats fine with me. I rode my new 2010 the first day ran great no bogs but I dident like the high clutch engagment 4400 rpm. changed to a softer spring engagment was 3800 rpms and it had a bog every once in a while. changed to stiffer spring 4200 rpm engagment last ride and no bog. Arctic cat knows this thats why they have such a hi engagment. engin has been modified over the 2009 model and probably isent going to performe properly at lower engagment. would like to go with a light weight can but what im reading, this might cause a problam also.

J
Nov 6, 2009
Allendale, Mi
Mine was my pump. I haven't done anything to fix it, I just make sure to blip the throttle once or twice if I know I'm going to be idling for a few seconds.

Clayton - Could you see the pump rod not going all the way to the "home" position unless you snapped the lever? Mine has the same issue and only taking off and only a small percentage of the time. It seem to be getting worse the more miles up to ~1500 now. My sled is a CF8 not an M

Justified

Premium Member
Feb 21, 2010
from what i noticed on my sled was when i run it for awhile it is spot on. It seems when the temps are low it will bog. We tried a fuel controller and fixed the issues pretty easy. We took fuel away on the low end and cleaned it up. But, after 250 miles its starting to settle in its grove and not have the issues when it was new.
thanks my 2 cents

C
Nov 28, 2006
Willow, AK
Clayton - Could you see the pump rod not going all the way to the "home" position unless you snapped the lever? Mine has the same issue and only taking off and only a small percentage of the time. It seem to be getting worse the more miles up to ~1500 now. My sled is a CF8 not an M

Yes, I could physically see the pump lever stopping about about 1/4 open if I returned the throttle to closed fairly slowly. You don't even have to snap off the lever to get it to close all the way. Just a little blip on the gas and comes back to the closed position.

J
Nov 6, 2009
Allendale, Mi
Yes, I could physically see the pump lever stopping about about 1/4 open if I returned the throttle to closed fairly slowly. You don't even have to snap off the lever to get it to close all the way. Just a little blip on the gas and comes back to the closed position.

Is this level the same level the adjustment rod attaches to? I looked at mine tonight and I don't see how it could hang up with the adjustment rod forcing it down. Maybe your talking about a different lever?

C
Nov 28, 2006
Willow, AK
Is this level the same level the adjustment rod attaches to? I looked at mine tonight and I don't see how it could hang up with the adjustment rod forcing it down. Maybe your talking about a different lever?

When you look at it you will understand. When you squeeze the throttle, the lever pushes the pump open. When you let off, the spring is responsible for closing the pump.

E
Nov 28, 2007
WESTERN SLOPE
I have the same bog with over 500 miles on the sled. I dont think the problem is the oil pump, as I have had an oil delete kit since the very first ride. I feel it has something to do with the fuel delivery

J
Nov 6, 2009
Allendale, Mi
When you look at it you will understand. When you squeeze the throttle, the lever pushes the pump open. When you let off, the spring is responsible for closing the pump.

Sitting in a warm garage it does not seem to be hanging up, Mine seems to have gotten worst as the miles have added up, cold or warm weather don't seem it matter. I plan to ride it some this weekend and will try to get it to bog then try the throttle snap and see what gives.

On a side note I notice my primary spring was broke (don't know for how long) should have a new one today.

Put the new spring in today 0646-035 org/blk rode it around the yard and could not get it to bog but... now my engagement is near 4800 RPM I think I went from one exstream to another. Maybe the low engagement was causing the bog?? Is 4800 RPM too high of an engagement? what will this do to top end RPM?

Edit: Just got a call from the dealer... AC is aware of the springs breaking and will replace no problem, but they said not to use a -035 as a replacement use the -229, the -229 is on back ordered until April.

Last edited:
P

prairiebound

Dec 3, 2007
My 2010 m8 sp had this bog since new. now has 500 miles on it. I was getting some oil blowback from the the donut in the y on the exhaust. Took the 4 springs off and put 2 beads of red exhaust silicone on the the motor side. Slid it back together and put the 4 springs on and I got rid of 2 problems. No more oil splatters on the the motor and inside of hood and no more bog. Just got back from the bighorns and it ran perfect except for the oil tank warping and i am getting a insert for that.

Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
My 2010 m8 sp had this bog since new. now has 500 miles on it. I was getting some oil blowback from the the donut in the y on the exhaust. Took the 4 springs off and put 2 beads of red exhaust silicone on the the motor side. Slid it back together and put the 4 springs on and I got rid of 2 problems. No more oil splatters on the the motor and inside of hood and no more bog. Just got back from the bighorns and it ran perfect except for the oil tank warping and i am getting a insert for that.

I just noticed the same oil spatter on mine(2010 M8 SP 153). It took 300 miles for it to happen. I just bought the sled as a left over and I'm not impressed with the low end on this sled at all. I ride at low elevation so I'm running 72g weights (8080rpm) and a 44/40 cam and this sled is a dog out of the hole compared to the 2009 M8 SP I had with the same low elevation set up, but it pulls like a freight train in the midrange up to about 90mph(on the speedo) then it runs out of gear.

I could pull wheelies with my 09 in deep snow but this 2010 just chugs out the the deep from a stand still. GEO posted a page back that he put a fuel box on his last year and added fuel on the low end. Maybe I'll give that a try?? I bought a stock sled with 160hp so I didn't have to mess with this stuff!!!

Last edited:
J

JasonAK

Dec 5, 2007
I just noticed the same oil spatter on mine(2010 M8 SP 153). It took 300 miles for it to happen. I just bought the sled as a left over and I'm not impressed with the low end on this sled at all. I ride at low elevation so I'm running 72g weights (8080rpm) and a 44/40 cam and this sled is a dog out of the hole compared to the 2009 M8 SP I had with the same low elevation set up, but it pulls like a freight train in the midrange up to about 90mph(on the speedo) then it runs out of gear.

I could pull wheelies with my 09 in deep snow but this 2010 just chugs out the the deep from a stand still. GEO posted a page back that he put a fuel box on his last year and added fuel on the low end. Maybe I'll give that a try?? I bought a stock sled with 160hp so I didn't have to mess with this stuff!!!

Strange, I went from a 2007 that I could not get the ski's of the ground at all in stock form to the 2010. With the 2010 I can't keep the ski's on the snow. It will stand right up on take off on flat ground.

I ride 0-3000ft. but I have a 40 degree helix not 44-40.

What primary spring do you have in it? I have the SLP Blue/pink. The stock spring keep breaking and I did not like the yellow/white.

Jason

fastlane

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
southern Minnesota
My '10 had the sticky oil pump as well, if you take the boot off the throttle bodies you can look right at it, there are the two tabs that come together at the top, when it sticks they are not together, I put two really small orings over them so instead of relying on that spring to return the pump the return from the cable brings it back if that makes sense, also resealed the ypipe donut. I did all this before I rode it, no bogs, does seem to be plenty rich at idle just taking off, no bog, just is loaded up, rode my buddies 2011 and night and day difference from mine, very responsive/snappy low end, pulls harder off the line, but midrange and top end is roughly the same, talked to a arctic cat guy and he said they took some fuel away from the bottom end on the '11s and also they retard the timing when u let off the gas to hold heat in the pipe, the '10s dont do this so the pipe cools off alot more when you let off the gas. I sent my computer in to get reflashed to a '11 map so I should have it back soon all let you guys know if it makes a big improvement or not.

L
Mar 22, 2009
Valemount, BC
Is anyone else getting a little bit of a bog right off idle?

It doesn't do it all the time but it's pretty frequent. It's almost acting like its getting a little too much gas or loading up. I can usually clear it up if I blip the throttle a couple of times before taking off. Once I just pinned it when it bogged off the line and the machine fell on it's face until I let off the gas, which is partly why I think I may be getting too much gas. My only change to the machine has been the can and I've got about 120 miles. Other than the bog (about 25% of the time) the machine runs like a top. Amazing low mid and top power.

I run a D&D can on my 08 M8 SP and the bottom end bog is pretty bad, but once the rpms load up its fine. Also, how do your plugs look?

S
2 weeks ago I maxed out the shims on my secondary but the belt deflection was still too high. I swapped in my new spare belt and noticed right away that the deflection was lower. After a ride I noticed a big improvement. Stopping for a few seconds and moving again didn't have any serious bogging. But if I shu the sled off for a few minutes and started again, and hit the trottle right away, it would bog for 2-3 seconds. So I have half the problem solved

I also have an o-ring tying the 2 tabs on the oil pump together since I got the sled. It now has 450 miles on it.

Premium Features