• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trailer Advice

Shamus2009

Premium Member
Nov 9, 2014
I bought a tilt two place snowmobile trailer similar to the one in the picture below it's still at my father in laws (I bought it off him for a steal) so I don't have a picture of the actual trailer. It's in amazing condition only has probably 2500 km on it tops he bought it in 2009 when he bought his last sled which he sold three years later but kept the trailer. The lights need to be rewired but I've done that many times on other trailers. I already did the bearings. The only thing that it now needs before sled season is new plywood, it has 1/2 plywood on it now but I don't think that it's very strong so I'm thinking 3/4? I also plan on painting it or something what do you guys think would be best, paint, bed liner I'd like to get some grit so that we'd get some grip while loading and unloading. Any suggestions are welcome, and I know there will be salt spray and an enclosed trailer would be better but I got this trailer for 500 bucks and know that it was well cared for.

Super 8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2012
I bought a tilt two place snowmobile trailer similar to the one in the picture below it's still at my father in laws (I bought it off him for a steal) so I don't have a picture of the actual trailer. It's in amazing condition only has probably 2500 km on it tops he bought it in 2009 when he bought his last sled which he sold three years later but kept the trailer. The lights need to be rewired but I've done that many times on other trailers. I already did the bearings. The only thing that it now needs before sled season is new plywood, it has 1/2 plywood on it now but I don't think that it's very strong so I'm thinking 3/4? I also plan on painting it or something what do you guys think would be best, paint, bed liner I'd like to get some grit so that we'd get some grip while loading and unloading. Any suggestions are welcome, and I know there will be salt spray and an enclosed trailer would be better but I got this trailer for 500 bucks and know that it was well cared for.
I'm confused here; It's in amazing shape but you had to replace the bearings, now you have to rewire the the lights and replace the plywood. For the money you spent for the frame and 8 year old tires, I hope it's alum.

Shamus2009

Premium Member
Nov 9, 2014
I'm confused here; It's in amazing shape but you had to replace the bearings, now you have to rewire the the lights and replace the plywood. For the money you spent for the frame and 8 year old tires, I hope it's alum.

It is in amazing shape I didn't replace the bearings I just greased them the ply wood is still useable I am choosing to redo it because it is 8 years old and looks like **** and is only 1/2 and is not the strongest in the world. As far as the wiring there is one wire that chaffed apart and I am rewiring it because I hate that cheap wire that comes with trailers I am an electrician and have an abundance of much better wire that I can use for nothing. Around here trailers in a lot worse shape sell for 1200 to 1500, I know to a lot of you guys that seems ridiculous but the cost of sleds trailers cars anything like that is substantially more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 19, 2010
b.c.
New wood get treated and led work lights so u can see what u doing in the dark i would also buy new tires .trust me work lights best thing ive done on mine good luck

Shamus2009

Premium Member
Nov 9, 2014
New wood get treated and led work lights so u can see what u doing in the dark i would also buy new tires .trust me work lights best thing ive done on mine good luck

I am planning on putting one or two led lights on her I have some kicking around from my fourwheeler that I sold a few months back

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
I see no pictures on my end.
3/4" plywood, no.
Bed liner, no.
Paint, no.
You are just adding more weight and cost with very little benefits. Just go with new 1/2" treated plywood if that is what it originally came with. Don't paint it for at least a year. Personally I wouldn't paint it at all.
If the trailer is in amazing condition as you say, forget about what it looks like, and after the maintenance concerns are completed just use it the way it's intended. Number one concern would be the tires, and always have two spares with you. Also think about ski guides. I don't know where you live but here you can buy those trailers for that price all day long around here.

Shamus2009

Premium Member
Nov 9, 2014
296ab8bd74ced5eed2e6c702ed6a3eb9.jpg
there's the trailer I have two spare tires already. I live in cape Breton Nova Scotia Canada 500 for that railed is a steal believe.

Premium Features