• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 Trails west rpm Chris Burandt Snowcheck

T
Feb 24, 2011
HILLS OF SOUTHWEST MONTANA
Hello Jon

I have used the inserts to block off a few holes in the floor but it does not make sense that when you flip the switch for the floor heat that it stops blowing from the heat vents below the coat rack and the below the boot rack. When you put your hand over the vents it feels as the vents are sucking air and there is not adequate heat/air flow in the trailer.

When I talked to Kirt on the phone yesterday he said that they tested one there at the factory and it was a concern that he was going to talk to engineering about.

I

Impatientforsnow

Nov 29, 2007
Gods Country
We spoke about this issue in our management meeting this morning. Your trailer came with several plugs for the holes in the floor. You are supposed to plug off the holes that you don't use. We did this because everyone has different track lengths and different ways of loading the trailer. In essence, everyone wanted the holes in a different spot so we put the holes throughout the floor and you need to plug the ones that aren't under your track based on how you normally use the trailer. Basically, there are too many holes but it gives you the flexibility to use the holes you want/need. Plugging the ones you don't use will limit the flow going through the floor and make the holes that are open blow harder. It should also divert air flow back to your other vents. Be aware that anytime you have the pusher fans on, you'll divert some air from the other ducts even if you do have some of the holes in the floor plugged. The plugs are black and they're in a clear bag inside your trailer.

I'm sorry you didn't get this info when you called. My name is Jon and I'm an avid snowmobiler. Feel free to ask for me if you need to call again. I'd be happy to help.
Hey Jon
Thanks for the feed back I have tried this plugging some of the holes already(no change) but did not use all the plugs..so I will try this ,the bad thing for me is I don't ever know how many sleds I will have in the trailer so its hard to decide were to put them exactly..

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
Hello Jon

but it does not make sense that when you flip the switch for the floor heat that it stops blowing from the heat vents below the coat rack and the below the boot rack.

From and HVAC engineer point of view I'm guessing this is the issue:

Let's say the heater is rated at 2,000 cfm. The "pusher" fan is rated at a similar flow rate, say 2,000 to 2,500 cfm. When it is turned on it pulls the air from the other areas (boot dryer etc). When they ask to block off some of the holes in the floor they are increasing the static pressure and that will lower the cfm of the pusher fan and allow more air to the other areas.

Sounds like the furnace needs to be upsized or the pusher fan downsized.

Ideally the track melt would have its own furnace or the furnace would have a two stage fan that was interlocked to the pusher fan offsetting the increased demand when it was turned on.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Imo, they do not put big enough furnaces in these trailers. I've had awesome experience with the trailswest guys but the furnaces in all these trailers isn't big enough.

Knox

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2010
North Dakota
Imo, they do not put big enough furnaces in these trailers. I've had awesome experience with the trailswest guys but the furnaces in all these trailers isn't big enough.

I fully agree with that statement, wonder how hard it is to put in a bigger one? size an issue?

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
I fully agree with that statement, wonder how hard it is to put in a bigger one? size an issue?

It would be easier and more effective to add a second furnace. That would fix both the btu and air flow issue

L
May 15, 2009
My thought IF putting in another furnace would be to put it at the opposite end from the other furnace. By doing that you would seem to have heat at both ends working toward the middle.
Just a thought.

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
You dont need the pusher fan on to use all the vents. Leave it off if you want heat to run throughout the ducting including the floor. It is used to force more air through the floor, nothing more....
For the nay sayer, on every trails west post... I could have bought any trailer I wanted, and still bought my second Trails West. Get what you want and enjoy it. We will do the same. I love mine.

summitriders36

Premium Member
Aug 30, 2010
The furnace that we are using is rated at 40,000 BTU. To our knowledge there is not a "larger" RV furnace available (yes, we've looked into it). We are looking into the possibility of an optional second furnace sometime in the future however, there is more at play than just adding a second furnace. Battery draw and drain is a concern for us. When you have a stereo with a subwoofer, a furnace, all the lights on, etc., there is a significant amount of power required. To add another furnace would add to the problem. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it needs to be designed and tested before it's offered to the public.

There is a misconception that your tow vehicle's charging system is enough to keep the batteries charged. The trickle charge from the tow vehicle is not enough to keep batteries maintained and fully charged unless you are consistently going on very long trips. Many trailer owners don't adequately maintain the batteries as it is. A second furnace would require even more battery maintenance, which some people just are not willing to do. Unfortunately all manufacturers have to try to design around customer misuse.

The primary reason and need for putting a forced air furnace inside the trailer was to melt snow and ice out of the snowmobiles, which will be accomplished at any temperature over 32 degrees. On a very cold day it's difficult to get a 44 foot trailer to 72 degrees (comfort heat) with only one furnace. It will get the temp up to 50+ in the trailer which is substantial enough to melt the snow and ice on your sleds and gear.

S
Jan 27, 2010
More insulation required...

Somewhat on the same topic - my 2015 unit would not melt the ice off the floor at -20C running off the battery.

Was told to insulate the floor externally with spray foam (closed cell) - night and day difference, no issue now.

My 2015 was stolen a few weeks back, am looking at buying a 2017.

Captainsheaff

Lifetime Membership
Mar 29, 2011
DUAL HEAT UNITS - LOGAN TRAILER

SEE ATTACHED PHOTOS OF 2017 LOGAN HORSEPOWER WITH DUAL FURNACES. 1-40K 12V RUNS GEAR DRYERS AND FLOORS. 1-80K 120V PRE-HEATS TRAILER FROM -10F TO 75F IN LESS THAN 10 MINUTES. FROM THERE, THE 40K WILL MAINTAIN TEMP & DRY GEAR FAST.
WE USED THIS TRAILER FOR THE 2017 FXR PHOTO SHOOT IN WYOMING & WITH 20+ ATHLETES IN/OUT IN WET GEAR CHANGING ALL DAY, THE FLOORS STAYED DRY & GEAR WAS DRYED FOR THE NEXT SHOT FAST.
33' GN FULLY INSULATED HIT ME UP IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS.

IMG_3571.jpg IMG_3738.jpg IMG_3262.jpg

Premium Features