• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'11 Pro BD Intercoler Upgrade Report

K

Kestrel2126

Nov 17, 2009
Grand Jct, CO
Was able to get my BD turbo back on the snow yesterday, after installing the update/upgrade kit with the intercooler. I ran the sled exactly as I had it set up last season, last saturday, so that I could have a good comparison. After getting it out yesterday, I can definitively say, the sled is now better in all aspects related to the motor/turbo.
First off, I noticed a dramatic decrease in charge air temps. While last year I was usually above 100* (long pulls were 120+), my temps yesterday hung out around 80*, and the highest I saw was 97*.
Second, the power was unmistakeably better. In addition to the cooler air, the 2 new Aux injectors seem to be supplying the motor with a more steady (constant, smooth, even? not sure really the right word to describe) flow of fuel, making the sled feel much more powerful, but also more manageable. The torque through the power band is flat scary now. Example, when I first installed the turbo last year, I had a little bit of ratcheting, but tightened the track a little bit and never saw it again. Yesterday, at the same boost level, (8 PSI @ 10K'), I began ratcheting pretty severely. I put a turn and a half on each of the adjustment bolts, and would still get a little from time to time. On the negative side, I may be looking at buying new track and drivers now.
Overall, I would highly recommend this upgrade to anyone who has not done it yet on their '11. I did notice that the bottom got a little boggier now, but was working on tuning that out yesterday with the fuel box, and am sure that I will have it crisp by the end of the next ride.

A
Nov 26, 2007
I installed mine on Sat and went for a quick burn. Did you run the factory settings for the control box? I went with the a little richer than the 10000 k settings for my 3000 ft ride.
Were are you taking your boost pressure readings from after the intercooler install. mine is before the intercooler which could show more that the engine is seeing but as long as I know it it shouldnt make any diffrence.

K

Kestrel2126

Nov 17, 2009
Grand Jct, CO
I installed mine on Sat and went for a quick burn. Did you run the factory settings for the control box? I went with the a little richer than the 10000 k settings for my 3000 ft ride.
Were are you taking your boost pressure readings from after the intercooler install. mine is before the intercooler which could show more that the engine is seeing but as long as I know it it shouldnt make any diffrence.

My #'s are actually pretty close to what BD has listed on their last bulletin

http://www.boondockers.com/instructions/snow/polaris/protechnicalbulletin.pdf

I'm actually a bit leaner through high mid range to top end, and am starting a little richer on the off boost #'s than they have, but will be going leaner to clean up the bottom end.
As far as my boost reading, I am getting it from my EBC as well as off the Fuel control box, in the stats screen. The reading is coming off the boost actuator solenoid on the charge tube. The EBC also has the small poly line that runs into the bottom of the intercooler which reads the atmospheric pressure inside the IC, but I believe that the # the shows up on the screen, still comes from the reading on the actuator. I may be incorrect on that however.

K

Kestrel2126

Nov 17, 2009
Grand Jct, CO
Nope, I'm actually running something completely different that I came up with, last season. I've got a 165-310 Primary with 72 G weights, and a Black/Yellow 180-260 with 1 Delrin, 1 Shim, and a 58-44 Helix. Going to go to 74 G weights to keep the R's down with the extra boost, but I really like the way its set up otherwise. I also have a 54-46 Helix I may try out.
Is the '12 BD clutching using the stock 155-222 secondary spring?

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
Bd setup is team almond red and 70s
Team black red with 42/48

Im using all the above except 72
And I will try their helix on the 40/46

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
Stock was solid black and Im not sure on spring rate. The bd has a red stripe. All my packaging is at The shop so ill have to check the rate.

A
Nov 26, 2007
I am running my own clutching also at 3000 ft Earl ps10 165-265 pri stock sec spring and a straight 50 helix with 70 gr. I like to keep my engagement up some.

K

Kestrel2126

Nov 17, 2009
Grand Jct, CO
My secondary spring was the black/red when I got the sled stock. Pretty sure thats a 155/222 Spring rate. DMKHNR, what elevation do you typically ride. I'm real interested to hear how you like the BD clutch setup. Thanks

Premium Features