• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1200 Rotax 4-stroke MC-XPRESS Turbo

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
First year of the release. Not a huge demand im guessing expecially with doo's recent track record on there 1st year sleds. Hope theres a few at least that do it cuz id like them to test and tune everything for me so i dont have to when i get one.

Motleyone

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Pullman,WA
well guys I have held my tounge for the last 4 days but I cannot stand it any longer. Why in the hell would someone build a turbo for a damn trail sled. Better yet why would Doo release a 1200 CC trail sled when all the demand is for the mountain chasis. Despite the problems with the 800 XP it was a huge success. I am sure the mountain version of the 4 storke will be coming out for 09 so why not just wait to turbo it in case there are some changes from the trail sled. Why did DOO not come out with the 1000 XP, that sled stock (a reported 480 lbs) would climb with any sled out there, turbo or not. As consumers we need to chill and get smarter about what we really want to spend our money on. This will force the builders to start focusing on what we want. Demand influences what is produced.

C
Nov 26, 2007
castlegar bc
One of the reasons for the 4- stroker is meeting the 2010 emissions. If you read in the snow tech mag all the hype is over 2010 compliantcey. So far yamaha is the only one to acheive this. Skidoo is probably hoping to sell a few of the four strokers and the new DI 600 to offset the other sleds thta do not meet the 2010 guidelines.

Skidoo isn't the only ones with this issue either. Polaris and cat are in some $hit too, their sled are not even close.

Crazy but thats the way she's going......

Chaz

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
Why did DOO not come out with the 1000 XP, that sled stock (a reported 480 lbs) would climb with any sled out there, turbo or not. .

That part right there was funny........no N/A sled , stock , is going to hang with a turbo past the 1st 100 yards there skippy. sj

Powder Dan

Premium Member
Feb 4, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
When Ski-Doo puts that engine in the Summit skid you will not be able to keep the turbo kit in stock. In 5 years we will all be riding 4 stroke turbo's. Just look at what has happened in the dirt bike world. Good thing you folks are out in front!

N
Nov 26, 2007
CowTown
Why in the hell would someone build a turbo for a damn trail sled. Better yet why would Doo release a 1200 CC trail sled when all the demand is for the mountain chasis.

Becuz the mountain riding segment only accounts for about 20-40% of the total sled sales and trail riding market accounts for way more......

So this is actually a really smart move, sell a bunch to the flatlanders since they buy the most anyway, let them get the bugs worked out, and in 5 yrs we will have a tried and true 1200cc motor with a proven turbo kit in the mountain segment. The demand for the mountain chassis is limited to the western market and only a few sold in the east. Just my $0.02.

To answer the original question, anything with a turbo is cool. I'm sure if you build it, they will come (and buy). :)

R
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Sask
Build it and people will be lining up to put it on!

Once all the diehard doo boys take their first ride on a turboed sled they will all be buying one. All of a sudden 20 grand will be a small price to pay for a sled. They are much better to go 4 stroke and develop that than bring out the 1000XP.

Anyone that says a 1000 will keep up with a turboed sled has no clue what so ever and has definatley never rode one before!

It just makes more sense to develop the 4 and that is what the new Nytro showed BRP, is that there is a huge demand for that type of sled. Give it a few years and there will be turbo doos everywhere in the mountains!

Just don't expect it to be a factory turbo unless everyone wants to shell out 16 grand American or 19 Canadian for the option!

S

SUMX162

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 29, 2008
If MC Xpress has a kit, they will sell. Probably not nearly as many as they would if BRP had a 4 stroke summit, but there will be a bunch of these being stretched out and turboed. Does everyone remember all the longtrack Rev kits when the summit was still in the ZX chassis? If you have the budget for the sled and the turbo kit, whats a few more bucks for a custom tunnel, lightweight skid and a track? Most of the RX-1 and Apex guys were doing this stuff anyways.

S
Nov 26, 2007
FU
Becuz the mountain riding segment only accounts for about 20-40% of the total sled sales and trail riding market accounts for way more......

So this is actually a really smart move, sell a bunch to the flatlanders since they buy the most anyway, let them get the bugs worked out, and in 5 yrs we will have a tried and true 1200cc motor with a proven turbo kit in the mountain segment. The demand for the mountain chassis is limited to the western market and only a few sold in the east. Just my $0.02.

To answer the original question, anything with a turbo is cool. I'm sure if you build it, they will come (and buy). :)

Correct the mtn market is a fraction of the flat lander market. Seems like a smart move to me.

L

lucky13

Nov 26, 2007
northern utah
well guys I have held my tounge for the last 4 days but I cannot stand it any longer. Why in the hell would someone build a turbo for a damn trail sled. Better yet why would Doo release a 1200 CC trail sled when all the demand is for the mountain chasis. Despite the problems with the 800 XP it was a huge success. I am sure the mountain version of the 4 storke will be coming out for 09 so why not just wait to turbo it in case there are some changes from the trail sled. Why did DOO not come out with the 1000 XP, that sled stock (a reported 480 lbs) would climb with any sled out there, turbo or not. As consumers we need to chill and get smarter about what we really want to spend our money on. This will force the builders to start focusing on what we want. Demand influences what is produced.

i thought a light weight sled was what we asked for and got

BRP is just like a regular automotive manufacturer...except they're french! but seriously though, what that means is that they do not listen to what we want, they tell us what we want!
lets get real here, we could care less if our sleds are environmentally friendly, most of us are driving uphill with the throttle taped! if we really got what we wanted we would all have a 2 stroke 1500cc with 300hp that weighed less then your sister, and it would take us up to the hymark at mach 3!
between all the Ski-doo sleds my brothers, father, and myself have owned over the past generations not once have we been asked what we would like to see(by someone with influence), or even filled out a simple questionaire!
of course government is pushing the 2 strokes out of sight, i don't mind either, a 4 stroker seems interesting to me, but they will sell what ever they think we should buy.

but as far as the 1200, it better not be a pressed together crank or I'm outta here! I have a feeling it is, since its only running at 8000 rpm.. because I doubt that thing would stay glued together for long with a turbo on it.
...i think that was more then 2 cents?

H

Hillclimber

Jan 10, 2008
Colorado
bring it, a 480lb mt version with Turbo 250+ hp your in the game!

Has anyone got the XR weights yet? I don't think 480lbs will even be close to real weight.
That said, if it can be put on a strict diet and have 250+ with boost,
sign me up.:beer;

S
Nov 30, 2007
Colorado
Last edited:
Remember that all the posted weights are never perfect anyways. Obviosly the XR chassis and 1200 is gonna be heavier that the XP 800. But remember too that the XP was weighed with no e-start and the 1200 is obviously e-start equipped. E-start is probably around 20 lbs, maybe more. So take that off the posted 1200 chassis and it is not sitting too bad imo. I do aggree that it is just a short track though, that will add some weight.

I have e-start on my 07 X and it adds weight. Can I tell, no, not for my type of riding. And that is in the mountains and deep pow.

I can't wait to see how these turn out, could be my next ride once they are proven in the mountains with a factory long track. Keep the info coming!

Premium Features