• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Timbersled vs UFO

J

Jsteb

Jan 19, 2014
I realize this could generate a lot of opinions , but I'm looking for some info from people who have ridden both set ups....

Personally I have only been on the timbersled both st and lt ( limited experience)

I'm curious if anyone has any real first hand experience with riding both , and what they thought of the UFO kit and how they compare.

I believe the ski is the same and the track is also the same , so i guess the difference in suspension will be the big topic , is the drive the same ??

Thnx

R
Feb 5, 2011
Priest Lake
Dont want to say much...

but I know of a couple of used UFO's for sale.

Just sold my used MH SX kit to someone from Bozeman who had a Mountain Horse SX, sold it, purchased a UFO and now would like to sell the UFO.
They work alright in spring snow not so well in the powder.

Justin is working hard to cure some issues and has plans on updating all this years UFO's.

T

thejean

Jan 17, 2013
What issues is he trying to sort out? I'm in the market for a new kit in the off season (mine is a 2011) and want to know whether the issues are easily sorted. For example, could one just replace the shock with a bar and essentially end up at the same point as the TS, just lower and with the ability to switch back to a shock for spring riding? Or, can you buy a shock that you can lock out for the deep stuff? Similarly for TS, can you buy the SX kit and then put in the bar if you want to ride powder? Want to look at both for flexibility for trail riding because last weekend I had a blast ripping up the softer whooped out trails. And lastly, how easy is it to yank a UFO out of the snow without a rigid tunnel? I was pretty amped up to get a new 2015 TS kit but apparently the changes are not huge so not sure anymore - might go UFO or just wait another year.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Tunnel ?? your still thinking snowmobile , I thought these where one skis ? UFO has gone a different direction and will work out what ever bugs it has and will have just like TS does . This section is dominated by TS so UFO has a difficult climb . The bike kits are put on a machine that was never designed for winter and to have a turn key kit there is no such thing as an easy transition between the seasons . These are amazing kits but they both have a long way to go and by realizing that they will get there .

T

thejean

Jan 17, 2013
Tunnel ?? your still thinking snowmobile , I thought these where one skis ?.

I just meant that on the TS there is a place to grab the back end of the track kit whereas in the UFO that seems to be absent, which would make it difficult to get unstuck I'd think.

B
Dec 21, 2007
Kalispell, MT
ufo

the ufo kit has come a long way from this years production unit. Dont let the kits that are on the snow now dictate what is to come for UFO, they have some substantial updates that are completely changing the attitude of the unit. If you are a freeride type guy that is looking for a trail capable big bump dirtbike feel, the UFO kit is for you. If you are a high country boondocker, than you would be better suited for the LT. I have alot of seat time on an TS SX kit, and the UFO will be a better setup for most looking to go this route. The deep snow ability of the UFO is on par with the ST kit and the thing is funner than **** to ride.

D

DieselTwitch

Dec 23, 2007
Gunnison, Colorado
wheelie problems 3 seconds in....

That's why I chose the MH. IMO having the entire track pivot around the swing arm bolt doesn't do well in the snow. As the suspension compresses the front end become too light. timbersled did it right by taking the 40 years of snowmobile suspension lessons. They didn't reinvent the wheel they just recombined two great toys to make a third, better one.

B
Aug 6, 2012
Not saying the UFO is a bad product. Timbersled needs competition and the UFO has the potential but its not ready its still in development and has a ways to go obviously. The suspension needs wheelie issue tweaking so its more rigid and responds to big hits but is solid enough to not wheelie at 5 mph uncontrollably while hitting rev limits. but thats after both companies drop the price, inovate more so that the TS ST kit has TS SX suspension OUT OF THE BOX. tired of leveraging 6000$ on a strut rod with a tiny bolt that is begging to taco itself. The final nail in the coffin will be swap out 600 - 800 CC 2 stroke compact motors that are especially built for snowbikes. Everyone in this community knows snowbikes are the future. the only thing left is suspension and light weight RELIABLE POWER.

T

thejean

Jan 17, 2013
Ok, so planning on buying a new kit for next year and need to make a decision soon. You guys in the know seem to be suggesting TS is still top dog for a bit yet. I really like the design of the UFO though and almost want to spring for it based on its sex appeal alone. But in the end, function will win over form I guess. Curious though, what are the rumours for 2016 - will it just be more tweaks? I'd really like to see TS do something with more exotic materials and refined design. The current kits look like a glorified backyard mechanics project but they do work well and I guess that's what matters in the end.

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
Not saying the UFO is a bad product. Timbersled needs competition and the UFO has the potential but its not ready its still in development and has a ways to go obviously. The suspension needs wheelie issue tweaking so its more rigid and responds to big hits but is solid enough to not wheelie at 5 mph uncontrollably while hitting rev limits. but thats after both companies drop the price, inovate more so that the TS ST kit has TS SX suspension OUT OF THE BOX. tired of leveraging 6000$ on a strut rod with a tiny bolt that is begging to taco itself. The final nail in the coffin will be swap out 600 - 800 CC 2 stroke compact motors that are especially built for snowbikes. Everyone in this community knows snowbikes are the future. the only thing left is suspension and light weight RELIABLE POWER.

I doubt the strut rod bolt will "taco itself". Maybe if you jump off cliffs? 600 - 800 cc motors? What for? The bikes now have plenty of power. Lightweight? My Berg weighs 300 lbs. The 450s less. Reliable power? What's more reliable than a 4 stroke?

S
Dec 17, 2007
The final nail in the coffin will be swap out 600 - 800 CC 2 stroke compact motors that are especially built for snowbikes.

...then we can call it a snowhawk!

I may be the odd man out here but I wish the timbersled did have a more dirt bike feel, and a lighter front end would do this. Don't get me wrong it is a great product that works and will go anywhere but I actually missed my 2moto when it comes to hardpack and trail riding(being from the midwest I have to deal with a lot of that). I think if someone can make a kit that will boondock, ride high speed trails and feel more like a dirt bike it will open up a lot of doors for people getting into the sport. Those from lower elevations and regions of the US without mountains and those who just want to trail ride(strange I know).

The UFO kit might just be what I am looking for.

Premium Features