• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Parts to convert a 2013 SBA to 39" stance.

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
I have a 2013 SBA that I want to put together a complete spare 39" front end for.
I bought a used set of complete tie rods, ends, bolts, nuts and boots from a 2013 Pro RMK.

I plan on buying a set of ZBroz 39" arms. I called ZBroz and they said target shock length for their arms is 17 1/8". The WE shocks on my sled are supposed to be 17 1/4". The guy from ZBroz said that the 17 1/4" may work - will that 1/8" make a big difference?

Does any one know what spindles I should be looking for? I am told that mine may work by using a spacer for the top, but not real certain of the info. I would prefer to have a set up ready to bolt up with the alignment set, just pop on skis and go.

o2bncamo

Lifetime Membership
Nov 7, 2009
wisconsin
If you are sure about the 17 1/4" for a 13 SBA. There is no way 1/8" will make any difference.
17 1/8 sounds big for a 2013 39" front end. The Rmk is 16.6" with the stock 39" stance, But they may build there a-arm a little different then the stock a-arm.
I would measure how far your front end is off the concrete before you change front end. Then measure it after the change and see how it compares. My guess is it will work.

M

moex

Jan 21, 2008
Its hard to believe there isn't a kit out there yet for SBA narrow front end. Keep us updated on your progress. Ive been trying to do something for my SBA but read a lot of conflicting info on various parts needed ie shocks, spindles etc.

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
So far here is what I have gathered:

A complete set of tie rods including bolts, ends and boots off a 2013 Pro RMK. $50.00 on EBay

A set of A-arms from a 2012 Pro RMK less ball joints and bushings,bead blasted to bare metal.
$250.00 from the swap meet here on SnoWest.

I will be able to use my stock 2013 SBA shocks.

I will be breaking down my rear skid to send the shocks into Monster Performance for a revalve and dual rate spring, and will be installing the heavier International torsions.
Will be powder coating the rails, spindles, front shock springs, both sets of tie rods, andthe used a-arms in satin black.

Need to pick up a set of ball joints and bushings for the Pro RMK a-arms a set of .030 thick spacers for the top of my SBA spindles and that should be it.

I should have the whole set up together for under $500.00

M

moex

Jan 21, 2008
sounds cool. just fyi I weigh 180 and have the intl model and I leave the torsion springs on lightest setting. on the way to play areas in 2 foot rollers I might go to med with gas can and some gear on the back with stock valving. I might be doing the narrow front end by winter but if I don't, id like to hear how yours is working. good luck

S

SWITCHMAN

Apr 25, 2012
Hudson, WI
If you go with the '12 pro front end you can just install a spacer to shorten your shocks. I believe the spacer that Steve at Deycore used was 1/4". I have a Z-Bros 38"-40" aArms , tie rods, with spindles of a 12' RMK, heavy duty quick disconnect sway bars ends. 40" for trail/off trail and 38" for out west. All 4 shocks re-valved. 1.75" x146" Ripsaw with Avid drivers. Just did it this summer so I can't tell you how it works.

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
Why did you have to shorten your shocks?

What year is your SBA?

My '13 shocks measure 17.5"

I was told that the '12 Pro RMK shocks are 17.5 as well.

R
Dec 1, 2009
I just bought all the parts to do this conversion. I picked up the following

- Zbroz's 39" front a-arms
- 2012 Pro Spindles (ebay)
- 2012 Pro ball joints and hardware (dealer)
- Use stock shocks out of my 2012 SBA

havent had a chance to install it all yet but hopefully it'll all work out

S

SWITCHMAN

Apr 25, 2012
Hudson, WI
Why did you have to shorten your shocks?

What year is your SBA?

My '13 shocks measure 17.5"

I was told that the '12 Pro RMK shocks are 17.5 as well.

My SBA IS A '13, stock shocks are 17.6. I went a little shorter than stock per Moutainhorse's recommendation on "The Sweet Spot" spacer to shorten shocks was just under 1/4". I'm right at 17 3/8".

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
Is there a post about the "sweet spot " that I should read?

I don't want to mess with my shocks if I don't have to.

I only intend to have this thing narrowed when I go to the mountains a couple times a year. I will run it wide for here in MN and the U.P.

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
I ended up buying a set of brand new take off Pro RMK a-arms at the Haydays swap meet for $60.00. Not exactly sure what year they are. I am hoping I got the right ones. Either way for $60.00 I should come out on top.

G

garett87

Aug 26, 2009
Saskatchewan
The top ball joint hole on the switchback spindle is bigger than the rmk top ball joint bolt. I made a sleeve from a .270win cartridge. Inside diameter is 3/16" which fits over the rmk bolt snug and 17/64" outside diameter. I made the length of the sleeve slightly longer than the thickness of the hole in the spindle, so that when I snug up the ball joint bolt it somewhat crimps the sleeve inside. Not sure if it will last, but I have coffee can full of empty cartridges to play with. The one in the pic was my first attempt as it was too short, but the good ones are the same just slightly longer.

image.jpg

Premium Features