• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Why isn't someone making a series of aftermarket pros?!

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
Scott, your exactly right on that. I believe it will really open some eyes next year when mother poo wants the dealers to hook every sled to a computer to be down loaded and sent to the factory boys. In our shop it is a standing joke about the guys that want more hp. There are exceptions but I bet 95% of the mountain riders don't use wot for 4% of the time the engine is on. That includes me, Iwas the first one to want more hp now I just want more snow. Guys you don't believe me take your sled to your dealer and get a print out you will be awakened, then again if it's all we have to complain about how sweet it is.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I must politely disagree. Much respect to both of you, and I do understand where you're coming from, since 90% of the riders out there don't need more than 150 hp, as much as they need more experience. However, I know a couple very technical pulls in Revelstoke, and a couple of chutes I would love to try that definately require more than 150 hp. My good friends that ride 300 hp Nytros are pretty much wide open trying to get up them. My RK 858 just does not have a shot making it up, no matter how much $$$ I might throw into a coupling rear suspension. Sometimes track speed is the limiting factor. I feel like another 50 hp, and I could make a good go of it. This can be see pretty plainly too when I watched stock Pro with a 40 shot of nitrous go places I can't touch.

I realize I am referring to straight up climbing, and many people could not be bothered to attempt that sort of riding. I like the trees myself, but sometimes it's fun to point up a 6 foot wide crack in the rocks and go for broke. Situtations like these could warrant a more powerful Pro. Just food for thought....

I totally understand what you mean. No dobut there are those times when you need it. But I'll bet people have no idea what % of their engine hours are not WFO full throttle. People rarely utilize full HP as often as they think they do.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Scott, your exactly right on that. I believe it will really open some eyes next year when mother poo wants the dealers to hook every sled to a computer to be down loaded and sent to the factory boys. In our shop it is a standing joke about the guys that want more hp. There are exceptions but I bet 95% of the mountain riders don't use wot for 4% of the time the engine is on. That includes me, Iwas the first one to want more hp now I just want more snow. Guys you don't believe me take your sled to your dealer and get a print out you will be awakened, then again if it's all we have to complain about how sweet it is.

I've seen those graphs. I kow what the numbers look like. It sounds like maybe you have too.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I do agree the Pro is an excellent all-around sled, and it will go places many of us have no right in being. However, I still maintain my opinion that more power could only help what is already an excellent sled.

There is no secret to more power these day. You either dink around with pipes and controllers and heads and yada yada. Or you skip it all and go for one of the many pre-packaged turbo kits. For all intensive purposes it's just as reliable as any other modded sled, in some cases more so. Given what some people are willing to spend on sledding these days, a turbo kit for a pro seems somewhat "affordable." Particularly if you skip the mods that don't really do anything notable (wraps, skis, seats, etc)....and go straight there without wasting money on cans, etc along the way.

C

CDK

Sep 5, 2011
There is no secret to more power these day. You either dink around with pipes and controllers and heads and yada yada. Or you skip it all and go for one of the many pre-packaged turbo kits. For all intensive purposes it's just as reliable as any other modded sled, in some cases more so. Given what some people are willing to spend on sledding these days, a turbo kit for a pro seems somewhat "affordable." Particularly if you skip the mods that don't really do anything notable (wraps, skis, seats, etc)....and go straight there without wasting money on cans, etc along the way.

I agree 100%. I personally took the other route, starting with a can, then a head, pipe, big bore kit, on and on.....A turbo from day one would have been far more efficient. Now if we can get a relatively afforable turn key turbo sled one day.........wishful thinking!

Last edited:

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I mostly ride a 13 Pro. Has a KMOD, Raptors all around and an X-3 3" track, 7 tooth drivers and Roosterbuilt clutching. Pretty awesome deep snow sled. Engine is stone stock. I mainly ride with Pros and XMs. The power does seems soft on the Pro but the ON HILL PERFORMANCE is as close to being the same as is possible. I saw the owner of Roosterbuilt beat 5 XMs in drag race after drag race both on the flats and up hill. They test clutch set ups continuously.
I'm a big guy, 230lbs before I gear up and I need more power than any of the stock sleds have to ride with my buddies that are 50-100lbs lighter than me. I don't trust the Pro motor enough to mod it. I rode the Pro Lite 900 yesterday and was very impressed. It is the lightest feeling, best handling sled I've ever ridden. The power is awesome for an NA sled. After the first 10 min ride I was thinking that I really wanted to try the 163 because the 153 was a little squirely and had a ton of ski lift. When I jumped off I looked at the tunnel and realized it WAS a 163. For super technical tree riding is pretty impressive. The shocks suck, it's really loud with too much intake noise, the throttle response wasn't great and it has some runability issues with the fueling but I'm pretty stoked and think I'm going to buy one.

kej

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Scott and RMK why aren't you ridding 600cc Pro and getting more time @ WOT in your graph from ECM?

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
Matt, What was the runability issue with the fueling on the 900? And at what elevation? I heard a rumor the bmp bb wasn't liking the thin air...

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Scott and RMK why aren't you ridding 600cc Pro and getting more time @ WOT in your graph from ECM?

Because I'd rather not fully maximize an 800 instead of a 6. Lol

How about you?

t30mg

Lifetime Membership
May 8, 2010
Brush Prairie Wa
People can talk about underpowered all they want....but how much time do they REALLY spend at WOT?

FOR REAL at WOT?!

Respectively, I would like to point out that there is another element of power that is not found at WOT.

It is called torque. More torque=more power not at WOT, which = more fun.

I have a 13 pro which I like for what it is.

But my previous sled was an 08 xp 800. It has a 860 big bore that is dialed in. It has way more torque than the stock 800 and is a blast to ride. In the trees, I almost never hit WOT, but that extra torque sure comes in handy.

My 135lb buddy was on my 13 800 pro 155 and my son was on the 146 xp big bore. They raced from the bottom of hill to the top and the xp only had the pro by 4-5 lengths.

So I have both, and ride both, and I know the pro doesn't "NEED" it.
But, "I" would have more fun and like it better if it did have it.....

kej

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Because I'd rather not fully maximize an 800 instead of a 6. Lol

How about you?

I don't think WOT really has alot to do with the power increase that I'm looking for.
I would like the low end quick torque like a old up right 900 AC twin. I think that motor would make a great project for this chassis.
I agree with what T30 posted.
Matte I think the AC throtle body fuel inj is slower then that of the SDI (port) inj of the Pro. Like when it bobbles coming back down after a steep pull. Just stock ones do.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Torque is the ability to maintain the speed you have. Yes, definately a good thing to have in the mtns.

I also like that arm stretching bottom end and mid range. Sure makes a ride fun.
I've found that it isn't the top speed that puts the smile on my face, it's the acceleration that is the most fun for me.

When I had my 1155 twin, it was KILLER on my forearms. It was almost violent when i stabbled the throttle. My forearms were always sore a day or two after a ride. I had to carry an allen wrench to keep my handle bar clamp tight. Was always pulling it in my lap.

I sure was at WFO (or WOT) just about as much as I am now.

I DO miss those days. LOL

Last edited:

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Runability issues I saw; It was racing on idle. Never idled below 2000. Went from 23-2600 to almost 4000. Kinda up and down. The cable was free, don't think that was what was going on. A few times I hit the flipper fast right to the bar and it didn't like that either. It didn't die, just kind of nothing then everything. Also, had some surges on the downhill after big uphill pulls. I was running mostly 4-5000 so not too high. I don't want anyone to think it was terrible, it just had some issues. I also think some of the "power" I am feeling is the 50lb weight drop.

Premium Features