• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2012 Husky 511 Mountain Horse

D

dirt rider

Mar 31, 2011
Kalispell, MT
Just picked up a 2012 TC449 today. I'll be riding this bad boy next winter. Has the Titanium Akrapovic pipe and dual map ECU from factory along with upgraded intake.

That's awesome!!!! The intake, throttle body, and air box cover are all upgraded and the exhaust is the best money can buy! When you install the Mt Horse, you will probably have to block off the extra openings in the face of the air box cover from what I can see.

I picked up a slightly used TC449 to ride this year but can't get a kit so will have to wait til next season. Bummed as i really wanted to try it out!

SlingingMercury

Premium Member
Jan 23, 2009
That's awesome!!!! The intake, throttle body, and air box cover are all upgraded and the exhaust is the best money can buy! When you install the Mt Horse, you will probably have to block off the extra openings in the face of the air box cover from what I can see.

I picked up a slightly used TC449 to ride this year but can't get a kit so will have to wait til next season. Bummed as i really wanted to try it out!

I'll be snowchecking a MH LT for next winter. I got a steal on this bike and couldn't let it slip away. Not sure if I can wrap the titanium pipe or not yet as some say no, others say it's okay, but hoping to get some good pointers on making it the best snowbike I can. Looking forward to your efforts to copy!

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
Should'nt affect anyone but the dealers.

http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/24519/ktm-rileva-husqvarna-e-a-breve-potrebbe-arrivare-l-annuncio-

Layman terms.:face-icon-small-hap
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/N...news/2013/January/jan2913-husqvarna-for-sale/

http://www.dirtrider.com/features/bmw-sells-husqvarna/

The cycle pun intended, from Husky to the Italians, came Swedish Husaberg in the 80's, absorbed by KTM for what, a GMC? I believe Buel could have saved Harley some day. Where and what's ATK hiding?

BMW takes a shortcut trying to buy a reputation, really has something going, the right representative people, mid level rider talent and cuts it off at the knees, again to be absorbed by KTM for what!

Example, I'd think Ferrari would leave buying Maserati to someone giving them a challenge. What kind of D!CKheads are running the Austrian company who would hate innovation soo much as to stop it in it's tracks, the type who can't win with ideas that's who, so instead they win using the stockholders shares.

What will a diehard Polaris guy do with his wardrobe when he gets his Klim Edition RMK, clash? Yeah dividends!

GasGas and Beta should build a snow bike, and include a replacement top end and a Can-AM jacket for BRP's endorsement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8-15oZarrY

Last edited:
D

dirt rider

Mar 31, 2011
Kalispell, MT
I'll be snowchecking a MH LT for next winter. I got a steal on this bike and couldn't let it slip away. Not sure if I can wrap the titanium pipe or not yet as some say no, others say it's okay, but hoping to get some good pointers on making it the best snowbike I can. Looking forward to your efforts to copy!

DO NOT wrap the header pipe! I tried that but the steam just rolls off of it when you stop and ices over the inside of the air box as the intake is right above the RH radiator. Also, on the TC, you will probably need to block off the intake screens on the left side of the air box cover as it will direct snow right into the air box......or at least put skinz material over them.

Should be an awesome bike!

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
Wanted, now has, still has needs.

OMG!! It needs more track!

71468_134667896700581_1695541121_n.jpg

SlingingMercury

Premium Member
Jan 23, 2009
DO NOT wrap the header pipe! I tried that but the steam just rolls off of it when you stop and ices over the inside of the air box as the intake is right above the RH radiator. Also, on the TC, you will probably need to block off the intake screens on the left side of the air box cover as it will direct snow right into the air box......or at least put skinz material over them.

Should be an awesome bike!

What do you think of this K&N intake mod? Under $100. Could be good for a couple HP.
http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?137504-How-To-Install-K-amp-N-RU-0990-449-511

D

dirt rider

Mar 31, 2011
Kalispell, MT

SlingingMercury

Premium Member
Jan 23, 2009
How do you think a ST kit would work on one of the Huskys?

Works great! Ended up going with ST and I am very happy so far. Gearing seems to work really well with third being perfect for most situations, lots of torque when you don't want to bother with shifting at lower speeds and nice long pulls. Also, shifting is easy and I only the clutch lever when shifting into neutral. I have a brand new EMF auto clutch that I don't think I'll even install. Zipty oil recirc kit is working great and allowing me to run full 1150cc oil with no puking. Zipty peg extensions are working great also.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I found a 2011 TC449 I plan to look at today. I love the look of the bike and I like the idea of the automotive fuel injection system, electric start and the titanium exhaust on the bike from the factory. These bikes sound like the work great as snowbikes.

However, I don't know much about dirt bikes at all but, when I started researching this bike, I read the 2011 motocross shootout and this bike finished in last place. Maybe what makes a snowbike work well differs from what makes a bike work well on the track? I am trying to get my mind wrapped around why this Husky would make a better snowbike than a Red, Blue, Orange or Yellow 450 motocross bike?

Here's the 450 shootout article I referred to above.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/11/11...e/2012-450-Motocross-Shootout-Conclusion.aspx

Last edited:

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I looked at the 2011 TC449 today. What a work of art! With the titanium pipe, the red head cover, the black high budget rims. It's a "demo" bike with a small rip in the back of seat but, it just seems to exude "quality".

There was also a "used" 2012 Honda CRF450X sitting right next to it and it looked well used. It had been made street legal and had a little analog trip computer and an electronic computer of some type as well. However, the color of the plastics was washed out and it just looked inferior to the Husky for some reason (because it has been used and sat outside). Yet the price on the used Honda was $6,500 and the new dealer demo Husky TC449 was $5,500. What am I missing here?

I started the Husky with the electric starter and it fired right. I tried the same thing on the Honda and it cranked and cranked (it seemed to turn over much slower than the Husky) but it never started.

Huh... I seem to be somehow smitten with the Husky. Hum.....:face-icon-small-con

Damn. I didn't see that coming!

SlingingMercury

Premium Member
Jan 23, 2009
2012 is preferential to 2011 but if that is the best deal you can find just plan on making sure ecu has latest maps and maybe plan on getting zip tys race map. It is a fine as a dirt bike, see it being used as a trials bike. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyxuXfBE9VA&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Reviewers are splitting hairs usually so don't sweat the reviews, and yes it works great in the snow compared to others and these engines are proving to be very reliable. Plan on getting an aftermarket seat pad/cover, I went with seat concepts and it is way better than stock. Power is great, fuel injection works great, looks great as a snowbike and weight is right with all the other light 450's. Traction is excellent.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Thanks Mercury!

Am I off the mark when I say the build quality of the bike seems to be a notch above the Japanese bikes I have looked at?

I see there are TC- TE and TXC bikes.

Looking at the specs, the TC449 is the motocross unrestricted bike and is 50 hp and the TE511 is 51 hp.

What changed on the 2012 models to make them preferable to the 2011 models?

How does one going about loading the new maps?

SlingingMercury

Premium Member
Jan 23, 2009
Thanks Mercury!

Am I off the mark when I say the build quality of the bike seems to be a notch above the Japanese bikes I have looked at?

I see there are TC- TE and TXC bikes.

Looking at the specs, the TC449 is the motocross unrestricted bike and is 50 hp and the TE511 is 51 hp.

What changed on the 2012 models to make them preferable to the 2011 models?

How does one going about loading the new maps?

I can't comment on build quality of the other bikes but for the deal I got I feel like I stole it. Changes to 2012 are
NEW Dual-map ignition with handlebar-mounted hard/soft switch
NEW Valve timing creates significant all-over power boost
NEW Airbox with larger intake and revised velocity stack for more mid-range torque
NEW DLC coating on connecting rod for less friction and extended life
NEW Kayaba suspension front and rear tuned for specific demands of U.S. motocross
NEW Progressive shock spring is softer on the initial stroke, improving overall balance
NEW All-black chromoly frame is stronger and more rigid with key reinforcement and new plates near steering stem
NEW Cooling system upgraded with high-performance WP radiators
NEW Streamlined single-piece tail section is narrower and lighter
NEW Wiring harness redesigned to be simpler and more direct
NEW IPD (in-mold plastic design) graphics in striking new black/red color scheme
NEW Silver anodized Excel rims

I believe dealer has to update software and perhaps already has. Zip ty sells power commander with their map on it. I may pick this up just to try it out and for the other benefits. My 2012 and 2013 both are too lean/rich on hard map setting from factory with some popping at altitude in the cold so we run them on soft map and they do great. You can get HP up to about 55-56 with some tuning on a dyno with the tc btw,.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Thanks Slingingmercury!

That list really makes the 2012 much more desirable than a 2011 in my mind.

Are the 2013 and 2014 even better?

Premium Features