• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trail Tank Comments

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I agree 100%. Tired of seeing guys pay good money buying these junky parts doing the testing and research for these start ups. Like sledding isnt expensive enough. Why should we have to pay mutliple times and multiple shipping to get the product up to it original advertised spec.

Christopher i dont quite get why you defend your crappy products so much ? You must obviously get some sort of kick back from some of these companies in the form of advertising or some other way.

If its garbage says its garbage. If its great say its great. Sometimes the truth hurts ! There are plenty of quality pieces and great companies that test stuff before they let it go to market.

We could make a list LOL

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
Summitboy before you get ahead of yourself on saying that Christopher is bought out you may want to know for sure what is going on. He may or may not get stuff for free from some of these places but I don't think he asks for it. I sat at last years snow show in Salt Lake and watched the skidoo rep try for fifteen minutes to get him to take a pair of $300 goggles for free and he said he wanted to pay for them not just take them.

Aftermarket products that never have any glitches are a rarity. Why can't people understand that. Charger's example above sounds to me like both times it went bad was his fault, and they still took care of it. What more could you possibly ask for???

Last edited:
C

charger0926

Nov 14, 2010
Elk Grove CA
but you still paid for a product and had to install and remove it three times how can you still be satisfied, and thats not saying this one wont expand too.

point taken, but in my case i find it very cathardic to work on my sled and it only takes me about 10 minutes to remove and install a fuel tank. i suppose that it would be more of a issue with me if this was a 2 hour procedure.

as for truebluemax's comment, i couldnt agree more. is it a perfect product...no, does it fit my needs?...yes it does at this point, but when i purchase a product, i try to do as much investigation as to the quality of the product, and the service of the company. in this case Seth has, in my opinion gone above and beyond to take care of my issues, and that also factors into my purchases.

i hope that those that post on here that refer to this product as garbage have used the product as opposed to just going off of what they have heard. i find it bothersome when all that is brought to the table is negative comments as opposed to ideas for a fix. with that said i do appreciate summitboy wanting the aftermarket to step up and do some testing before the product comes to market.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I honestly dont care either way. I just dont get why peeps jump all over someone because they speak their opinion on their experience with a crappy product. Each to their own. Too much brand loyalty lol

You make it sound like its okay to have a fuel tank expand and not fit properly. Our experience was similiar. Once is too much.

I have had my fair share of these problems. Over sell and under deliver ! If it doesnt work or last then i tell everyone i know so they dont have to lose their shirts as well. Its common sense imo :yo:

G
Mar 13, 2009
Western NY
If snowmobile manufacturers would design sleds properly and install quality parts we wouldn't have to relay on the aftermarket industry as much. I appreciate all the effort they put into improving the mistakes companies like Yamaha continue to make. I installed a Trailtank several years ago and have had it in and out many times with very few issues. It's to bad I had to purchase a larger tank but I'm glad Seth took the time to design an aftermarket tank. It's the best option if extra fuel capacity is required. With the dzus fasteners added to the new tanks and the tight fit problem worked out these tanks should be a great aftermarket option.

Unfortunately, my Nytro runs on the Aftermarket Industry!

08 FX Nytro RTX, 40th:: DDM HID's>Trailtank>MTX cooler>Schmidt Bros Stage II Clutch>Hygear spacers>Roest plate>Pioneer revalve>Steering relocate>CurveXS>GrizzGusset>Oilite a-arm bushings and lower ball joints>UP bushman Spindle Bushing>SledToyz copper exhaust donuts>Kimpex 135mm idler wheels>128" Ice Attack with Star relocate kit>................Aftermarket spindles and a-arms next.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Christopher i dont quite get why you defend your crappy products so much ? You must obviously get some sort of kick back from some of these companies in the form of advertising or some other way.

If its garbage says its garbage. If its great say its great. Sometimes the truth hurts ! There are plenty of quality pieces and great companies that test stuff before they let it go to market.

Think again Genius.
I BUY MY PARTS just like everyone else.
The only thing I got last year completely for free without asking was a Track from Yamaha that came as a Total Surprise to the magazine with my name on it.

Otherwise I try to get the best deal I can, but I PAY for the goodies that go on my sled.

And just so you are 100% clear.

I am not in any Way, Shape or Form in the cash flow for any advertising on the Forums or in the Magazine. SnoWest doesn't pay me a dime, nor do any of the manufacturers, not one cent!

As for TRAIL TANK.

I think its a GREAT PRODUCT with GREAT CUSTOMER SUPPORT that is in the process of becoming EVEN BETTER through ongoing development, refinement and enhancement. I had ZERO PROBLEMS with that fuel tank all last season and LOVED having the extra fuel to feed my hungry supercharger!

Was I a bit of a bonehead for taking a FUEL FUEL TANK and laying it on my garage floor through a long hot summer? YUP. That was stupid. Plastic is plastic, and when it gets hot and is under pressure, it moves.

Do I hold Trail Tank responsible for my mistake? NOPE, I sure don't.

Do I wish they had used a slightly different plastic formulation that wasn't as suseptable to deformation? Of Course.

And now I wait 1 more week for a newly designed, updated, improved, re-engineered product. When it arrives I will report back on whether or not it works in as honest a manner as I can.

M
Jan 14, 2004
I always come back to this, for the life of me whether its a fabulous product or a POS is irrelevant I can't understand why anybody would even ever want one. Guys are now spending up to $2k for after market front ends and shocks etc to move the skis forward 3-4" on the sled to generate more leverage in order to correct the overweight Nytro front end and then go and add a trail tank, slap 25 more lbs up there to make it worse. Sorry I just don't get it.

M5

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I honestly dont care either way. I just dont get why peeps jump all over someone because they speak their opinion on their experience with a crappy product. Each to their own. Too much brand loyalty lol

You make it sound like its okay to have a fuel tank expand and not fit properly. Our experience was similiar. Once is too much.

I have had my fair share of these problems. Over sell and under deliver ! If it doesnt work or last then i tell everyone i know so they dont have to lose their shirts as well. Its common sense imo :yo:

I think you must of missed that. I don't care if your being bought lol ! I find it strange and amusing how you defend all the crappy products. Since you love the TT why don't you buy mine for the hundy ! If not I'm cuttin the top off and making a planter out of it !

B

BLUE BLOOD

Aug 15, 2008
CO
I have been trying to flush my trail tank down the toilet since 2009.

PIECE OF SHI$!!! :sorry:

M5 is dead on.

G
Mar 13, 2009
Western NY
I always come back to this, for the life of me whether its a fabulous product or a POS is irrelevant I can't understand why anybody would even ever want one. Guys are now spending up to $2k for after market front ends and shocks etc to move the skis forward 3-4" on the sled to generate more leverage in order to correct the overweight Nytro front end and then go and add a trail tank, slap 25 more lbs up there to make it worse. Sorry I just don't get it.

M5

If Yamaha had original designed the Nytro with a 10 gal tank I guess you would have complained and probably wouldn't have bought one. The TT adds about 2.5 galllons and gas weighs around 6.2 lb/gal so you're adding 15-16 pounds when full. 30 miles later the extra weight is gone (unless you stopped for lunch and a few 12 oz sodas). What part of "I don't like to walk home at 3 am" don't you get. Gas stops are very limited in certain areas especially later at night. I think the majority of TT owners are happy with the product.

Bashing a company that is honestly trying to help is what I don't get.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lol. M5 brings up a perfect point. Why waste money on a crappy planter when you can buy a 2.5 gerry can and have a better balanced sled. You guys can sugar coat your trail tank all you like lol. Some guys are on their 3rd TT. Money well spent ??? LOL. I rode a nytro with a TT. One of the worst handling Nytros i tried ! Maybe a Zbros would of helped it lol !

Still no takers on my $100 flower planter ? Cmon all u believers.

What kind of flowers should i put in it ?

550iq

Oct 7, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
Wow, my first foray into the "tuning fork" zone. I was drawn in by a discussion on the Trail Tank. Basically, it is ok to potty-mouth a product you have no faith in - only if it is based on the truth and only with due appreciation to at least the effort made to provide a needed service. All products will have issues in the beginning, so help out with the development of the product or move on. After watching Trail Tank equiped IQs claim the 010 Iron Dog race (thats around 2,000 miles of all out running), I was sold on the product. I will put one on my new 800 Polaro Iron Dog trail class sled. With the tank, 120 mile runs between fuel stations are realized, storage capacity behind the seat is maximized, the fuel load stays centered, there is no spare tank plumbing, it will be heaven.

So state your issue as a caution-flag for others, if you may; all I have seen is blither with no real reason as to not to buy the Trail Tank other than some folks just hate it so. I am confident I can work through any issues for the benefits the Trail Tank provides. 550iq

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
Daisies. I built my own. Better weight distribution and more capacity. Multi pickup, no surge tank.

100_0827.jpg 100_0836.jpg

M
Jan 14, 2004
If Yamaha had original designed the Nytro with a 10 gal tank I guess you would have complained and probably wouldn't have bought one. The TT adds about 2.5 galllons and gas weighs around 6.2 lb/gal so you're adding 15-16 pounds when full. 30 miles later the extra weight is gone (unless you stopped for lunch and a few 12 oz sodas). What part of "I don't like to walk home at 3 am" don't you get. Gas stops are very limited in certain areas especially later at night. I think the majority of TT owners are happy with the product.

Bashing a company that is honestly trying to help is what I don't get.

Read my post again. Do you see any words where I slagged the Trail Tank or the company. UHHH NO you don't. What I slagged was the idea of the Trail Tank. I guess I was a little too subtle so allow me to re-phrase. You'd have to be a glutten for punishment/idiot to put more weight onto the front of a Nytro. There's lots of options for additional fuel that don't involve making a bad situation worse. Look at Impulse, Boost it, Alpine Turbos, Mountain tech fuel tanks but hey WTF do any of them know. Yamaha has never made a 4 stroke sled with a decent gas tank design they all put the weight too far forward, even Doo figured that one out in 03, but hey lets give the fat chick a box of doughnuts, what could it hurt.

Just cause they sell the Trail Rake doesn't make it a good idea.

M5

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
LOL, M5 you fawkin crack me up !

95 bucks for the daisy planter !

Last edited:
E

emr333

Nov 29, 2010
I remember the "new and improved" trail tank that I had bought... After spending several hours with about 14 tie downs attempting to force it into place, it somewhat went into the two studs on the tunnel. After that we only had to trim all the hood and plastic pieces a little bit so that only moderate forcing pressure was required to get the thumscrews into place. The next time the tank had to come off it was thrown into the corner and replaced by the original tank... Gas rack works wonderful.

Premium Features