• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

!!!!! Help HAD TO LEAVE 08 XP !!!!!

B
Nov 26, 2007
Grand Lake, Colorado
You dont need a compression tester. Just hold your thumb over the spark plug hole, if the air pushes your thumb off (cant hold it on there) when you pull it over then there is enough compression to run. If you can hold it on there then thats your problem.

P
Dec 1, 2007
Thanks for all the info, finally got the sled out of the hills Friday. Lost all compression on the mag side. Still thawing the sled out have'nt had a chance to find the problem yet. I suspect it lost a ring, will know soon. Thanks again for the replies and ideas.

snow-doo

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Atascadero Ca
Have 4 08 xps, Have had 6 motors in them,Two died just like yours,going along and just quit,After a while you realize you lost another cylinder.Tried different piston and rings than ski-doo,get longer life ,crankshaft out of balance is also an issue.Only ski-doo machines i wished i AAA for a snowmobile.Good luck so far this year due to lack of snow.LOL

P
Dec 1, 2007
Removed the motor and tore it down, lost the locating pin on the mag side piston ring, ring spun and caught the exhaust port. Marked/chipped the cylinder pretty good and I was concerned about the crank so opted to go with a BRP rebuilt shortblock. I originally thought the machine had 3800 miles or so but it turns out it only had 3300 miles. My question now is this a common problem at these miles or is it a manufactureing problem (should I be talking to BRP?) Not very happy about spending $2200 on this machine, seems like it should last longer. Anybody know of any recalls I might have missed? Thanks for the info.

R
Nov 26, 2007
TB-MT

ya...seems like good miles. just got rid of a '10 that seized a rod bearing and wore a hole in the water jacket in the case half....toast...didnt hear anything. just a cloud of coolant smoke. 885 miles. :(

P
Dec 1, 2007
It was 3300 hard miles, I rode the crap out of it. I am glad to hear that this is normal, did not want to have problems with the new motor, will prob try to rebuild top end around 2000-2500 miles this time.

T
Dec 30, 2011
Just had to do the same thing to mine, only it made 2300 miles. I put in MBP dual ring pistons back in and so far so good. A short block simply wasn't in the budget for me but I wouldv'e if I could. Had to get my cylinders replated as well.

Premium Features