• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fox Float 2 vs. Fox Float X EVOL ?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Anyone made the upgrade from the factory Fox Float 2 shocks to the Fox Float X EVOL?

Big chunk of change and I am wondering if anyone felt the end result was really worth the money or not??

float2small.png
floatxevol2small.png

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
if your gonna spend that kinda money, go with good coilovers, zroz will custom valve your shocks to you, plus good price at $1000 for premium shocks. for the price of those x evols you can prolly get ohlins or even elka which will out perform and blow away any airshock.

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
There is a kit you can buy that will upgrade your float 2's to float evol's..It costs around 350 buck+40 for the install unless you wanna do it yourself. I'm gonna give it a shot this summer. I think it's a great upgrade that won't break the bank!
http://www.foxracingshox.com/service/?m=snow

I don't know what the difference between the float evol's and the evol R is. You can clearly see the difference between the evol r and the evol x though. Looks like for the evol x the put the "evol" chamber on and then added something that seems to do the same thing as what nextech designed to attach to the float 2's.
http://www.carbonsled.com/float_reservoir.htm

Last edited:
H

HDEMWET

Nov 19, 2010
i live in swastika, ont. canada
I ended up ordering PN: SMA-8HKFS-X0-10 right off of yamaha's website. They say EVOL on them but do not look like the pics you posted above (must be an earlier version). they were cheaper, at 800$ for the set and pump, than the other options, and i find they are working great so far.

scmurs

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
The sled that you're going to ride tomorrow has the Evol-R's on them. Not as good as the X, but better than the the 2.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
he he
That was the reason I asked this question in the first place.....

Have to swap out what I have on my SE...

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
NEXTECH has developed an adjustable remote air reservoir for fox float shocks. The reservoir allows the rider to easily control the air volume in the shock and integrated speed sensitive valving prevents bottoming in aggressive riding. This allows suspension performance to be customized for the weight of the rider and the type of riding. With these added features the shock provides more stability, usable travel and a smoother ride. The reservoir is light weight anodized aluminum construction and fits most fox floats including FLOAT 2 with easy 15 minute installation. <form target="paypal" action="https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" method="post"> <input src="http://www.carbonsled.com/x-click-but22.gif" name="submit" alt="Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!" border="0" height="23" type="image" width="87">
pixel.gif
149.95 each IN STOCK</form> These reservoirs adjust to change the compression ratio of the shock. Eg. to bottom out a typical float shock running 70 psi it takes almost 3300Lbs but with these air reservoirs they become adjustable from the stock 3300Lbs all the way down to 1500Lbs. Lower compression ratios allow for higher starting air pressures for better handling and ride height while still allowing for maximum travel.
CLICK ON PICTURE FOR LARGER VIEW

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
EVOL Upgrade Kit

Extra Volume for you FLOAT or FLOAT 2

price350.jpg

Everything you need is included in this kit to transform your FLOAT or FLOAT 2 into a FLOAT EVOL™, right down to the gold air caps and black and white decals. With our EVOL Upgrade Kit, you gain an extra-plush, bottomless feel ride without altering the ride height or roll stiffness of your sled.
<small class="italic">Price does not include labor or any additional parts or upgrades.</small>

<small class="italic">
</small>

wide-evol.jpg

A

acutah

Nov 27, 2007
Kaysville, UT
I say sell the 2's and pay the extra to get some Exit's. Night and day difference. I just got mine and it was money well spent. I think I paid $850 for mine.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
like i said in the other thread you just cant compare a good tripple rate coil over the floats just arnt as consistant through tempature & elevation change some guys wont notice the diff unless you ride your sled hard or jump when you fly down a bombed out trail with both then you see the diff its amazing when you have a good set of shocks.one other thing to note have a look at all the racers how many run floats vs coil over, when its the most important thing on the sled:face-icon-small-win.

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
I ordered a set of Float X for a Nytro RTX SE from Yamaha. They don't have the EVOL chambers but I really like them. The adjustable dampening (comp/rebound) is handy for when you change riding conditions/air pressure.
I think that I paid around $750 for the pair from Sports plaza.

toms

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2010
CA
www.tomssnowmobile.com
To help decipher some of the information you might be seeking for your purchase, here is a brief desription.

Float 2 / This is a second generation air shock, that primarily addressed all of the issues that some of the above posts list. All of the internal parts were changed from previous Float designs.
These changes were promted from feedback from consumers directly to the engineers at Fox. This is basically an entry level type shock that is typically lighter weight then most coil overs, and still offers more adjustability then a standard shock.

Float R Evol / This shock also recieved all of the internal new parts that the Float 2 did, plus it added external rebound adjustment, as well as a secondary air chamber. This secondary air chamber helped create a more linear spring rate transition through the stroke of the shock shaft. Basically it allowed lower main chamber air pressures for better slow bump use, but still allowed it to ramp up the final spring rate in the last 1-2" of travel. Though from a technical point you can not use the rebound to assist or move the compression dampening, it nontheless has a small effect on compression dampening, and can definately be used for tuning purposes as long as you have a good understanding of its effects.
Also note; for all of the add on air chambers, there is no way to properly address a serious spike or ramp up between the main chamber and add on reservoir due to the size or oulet of where the schrader valve is located. It is like putting a 1/2" hose on a 1/4" oulet and expecting to see a large increase in volume. For the Evol chamber this port has been engineered to accept the larger flow capacity.

The Float X Evol / currently the best (though probably most misunderstood) shock on the market. Why? Because it a complex shock, and potentially more durable. For all of the posts that list its negative attributes, you may want to look at what has happened on the ATV market in regards to pro racing. All of the major winners are using this shock in a lot more rugged or demanding enviroment then snowmbiling. The combination of the adjustability (over 500 external adjustments used in combination with air pressure adjustmments), as well as the length of performance this shock delivers are part of the reason. (Did anyone look to see what was on the suspensions of the winners at the X games this year? Differnet brands, same shocks!
With the amount of adjustments this is where consumers can get turned around, and for lack of better understanding they either stop using them and or they sell them. With dual speed compresion dampening as well as rebound dampening, an individual can get lost trying to make the shocks perform the way you were expecting.
If you do not like to tinker with your suspension I would never consider purchasing a set of Float X Evols. You would be wasting your money. But....... if you do; then welcome to a whole new world of suspension tuning that really can externally cover almost every situation gravity can throw at your sled. Oh yeah, you may find your riding ability improving as well.
Hope this helps.

Tom

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Float R Evol /

Also note; for all of the add on air chambers, there is no way to properly address a serious spike or ramp up between the main chamber and add on reservoir due to the size or oulet of where the schrader valve is located. It is like putting a 1/2" hose on a 1/4" oulet and expecting to see a large increase in volume. For the Evol chamber this port has been engineered to accept the larger flow capacity.

So just to be clear.
The factory Evol works fine, but the upgraded Float 2 with the bolt on external reservoir doesn't.

scmurs

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
So just to be clear.
The factory Evol works fine, but the upgraded Float 2 with the bolt on external reservoir doesn't.

I read that statement as "the other aftermarket companies", not the FOX upgrade kit. OFT Racing is pursuing the EVOL R upgrade option along with getting set up to deal the Exit shocks from Zbroz.

toms

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2010
CA
www.tomssnowmobile.com
So just to be clear.

The Fox Factory upgrade kit deals with the air volume spike related issues in a better manner then other options.
If you need extra volume for your front ski shocks, the other options available are definately a viable and reasonable way to go. Does that help answer your question or statement?

scmurs

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
The Fox Factory upgrade kit deals with the air volume spike related issues in a better manner then other options.
If you need extra volume for your front ski shocks, the other options available are definately a viable and reasonable way to go. Does that help answer your question or statement?

Almost...

A better manner, but not the same manner as a factory Evol-R?

What exactly is the difference in how the upgrade kit deals with the spike vs the factory Evol-R?

Scott

Premium Features