• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2012 Yamaha Sled Rumors & Predictions

L

Linc

Nov 17, 2002
Pemberton
www.visionms.ca
A new turbo Nytro 4 cylinder and the biggest news, wait for it... Yamaha will introduce a new light weight small displacement two stroke. All the other manufacturers are making money with two strokes, Yamaha will go back to them to increase sales and depth.

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
When is annual dissapointment day?

M5

hit the nail on the head. 6-7 years ago I got excited. Now dont' even bother to get pumped up for disappointment.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
EPS on the nytro and BNG
Ya, I have wondered about that as well.
But I am guessing the Nytro won't be the one that gets the EPS this year.
Probably the Vector/Venture would be the next one in line to get it.
But I have to admit, if it was available on the Nytro SE as an option, I would probably have taken it. It sure would make riding to and from the playground on the trail a whole lot more enjoyable.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
A new turbo Nytro 4 cylinder and the biggest news, wait for it... Yamaha will introduce a new light weight small displacement two stroke. All the other manufacturers are making money with two strokes, Yamaha will go back to them to increase sales and depth.
Hmm.
I could see the Phazer being offered with a Turbo as an option, just like the Nytro last fall. And now that they are going down the Turbo/Supercharger route, why even bother with a new 4 cylinder engine for the Nytro?

New 2 Stroke?
Does Yamaha Corp make anything with a 2 Stroke any more???

L

Linc

Nov 17, 2002
Pemberton
www.visionms.ca
Let's all hold our breath ! NOOOTTT ! Yamaha hasn't delivered in years LOL.

Ha HA HA yeah, I'm not going bother holding my breath.

The reason i say the turbo 4 cylinder is that they have already built the sled and it was tested for a couple years, so I could see that info learned showing up on a sled. As far as the Two stroke goes, the whole two stroke demise BS never quite materialized, kinda like the "WMD" fiasco! Lets face it 2 stroke dirt bikes are making a come back, the other manufacturers are selling more 2 strokes than ever, and they are getting cleaner and more efficient than ever, and dare I say, they seem to be lighter... I think.

R
Jan 20, 2011
Yamaha will introduce a new light weight small displacement two stroke. All the other manufacturers are making money with two strokes, Yamaha will go back to them to increase sales and depth.

Would love to see a 600cc DI two stroke myself, I would go back to Yamaha in a second!

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
my 2 cents worth:

I'd like to see them re-release a kids sled.

Nytro: Some really small ergonomic changes

Phaser : BNG

I wouldn't expect much of anything though...the economy isn't doing well and that is going to effect how much the factory can afford to change the sleds. Re-tooling for parts is pretty damn expensive from what I understand.

B

bacobits

Dec 9, 2007
Laramie, wyo.
It's my understanding that the big y makes one bad a$$ 2 stroke out board for the boaters. They have stricter emmission standards than sleds.

Back on a yamaha in a sec. if they would pull their head out, and build a light weight smoker, you KNOW they could do it.

Ken Climb

Premium Member
Nytro getting a diamond drive system, but that is about it for big news from big blue as far as I would guess.

God no! There chain cases are bullit proof, Why fu(k with perfection

Oh and Racing station guy. Maybe you should get off the computer and answer your phones and emails once in a while. Good luck trying to get a hol of someone at your shop. I called 4 times and emailed once. :( poor!

Last edited:

Givemeaboost

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, MT
It's my understanding that the big y makes one bad a$$ 2 stroke out board for the boaters. They have stricter emmission standards than sleds.

Back on a yamaha in a sec. if they would pull their head out, and build a light weight smoker, you KNOW they could do it.
They never made a light weight 2 stroker before they went to 4 strokes. Why would they start now?

Ken....

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
They never made a light weight 2 stroker before they went to 4 strokes. Why would they start now?

Ken....

late 80s early 90s (forget the exact years) pogo stick phazer.... lighter than most current mountain sleds.

~440-445 lbs wet, ready to ride.

yes track deficient, yes power deficient...but it could be considered 'light' for its time...even for todays time.

Last edited:

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Nytro getting a diamond drive system, but that is about it for big news from big blue as far as I would guess.

God no! There chain cases are bullit proof, Why fu(k with perfection

Oh and Racing station guy. Maybe you should get off the computer and answer your phones and emails once in a while. Good luck trying to get a hol of someone at your shop. I called 4 times and emailed once. :( poor!

PM me your phone number or leave a message with your phone number and Ill call you right back.

I posted at 9:15pm, hope that is OK to get on the computer then and mess around.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
He He.
I haven't hardly said anything at all yet...

If they offer a Diamond Drive, doesn't that mean you loose your reverse ability???
You can play with the planetary gears so that you still have a reverse...

Arctic Cat had it on their sleds before they did the engine rotating backwards thing... like they should have (but I guess couldn't) from the start.

A

Ak nitro

Dec 1, 2007
Cortez Colorado
Don't forget last year, the sled in the trailer that you could just see the tail light on and hear it idle, all the build up for weeks, and what did that endup being, oh yeah power steering, power steering and a new tail light on the trail apex are cool but did it really need the weeks of build up for that. I have also heard rumors of a diamond drive and hope it is not true at all, has yamaha not seen all the broke down artic cat diamond drives everywhere, I hope yamaha never touches the diamond drive unless they totally redesign it. I suppose this year we will have the month long build up just to be dissappointed with a new diamond drive and BNGs. I guess if they go with diamond drive my 08 won't lose value as much, because any one running a turbo yamy will have nothing to do with a diamiond drive.

Premium Features