• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Solutions for MtnHorse lust for more power...

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
A couple pics of my CR500 MH attached. I ride in deep snow. My only issue was carb ice. It would happen at any temp, however 25-35 degrees was worse. Riding in the powder my entire carb/cylinder would be an ice cube (see pic 1), along with the airbox full of snow. My solution was to seal the airbox, install snow vents, then fill airbox with foam to displace any snow, install a carb heat probe (KTM part), and put foam all around the carb so snow couldn't build up on it (see in pic 1). Mountain Horse makes a good point about the pipe heat, however I never noticed the difference with the pipe caked in snow, or running a hard pack road where the pipe may/would heat up. I run a stock pipe that is nickel plated. I also have a A/F gage and an intellijet mixture adjustment so I can adjust mixture on the fly while watching the A/F ratio. In pic 1 if you look closely under the rear fender you can see the NO2 bottle (in black insulation bag) and nitrous line going to carb. Ski-wise, I now run a Simmons 8" wide ski purchased from 2-Moto. It comes with outside edges and works great in the powder and tolerable (barely) on the hard pack.

Did you have to gear it down any?

Are you using a Rekluse?? I've heard they rule on a 500

cr500afx

Premium Member
Dec 18, 2008
Did you have to gear it down any?

Are you using a Rekluse?? I've heard they rule on a 500

13T on the front sprocket. Yes, has a Rekluse. Be sure and tell Rekluse your installing on a snow bike so you get some tungsten balls for better lockup of the clutch.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
cr500afx check this out on my site. I build these 585 cc motors . almost 100 hp I am building one of these in a crf 450 chassis right now and contiplating this mh option. We will have to see check this out.

http://www.poweraddictionracing.com/product_info.php?products_id=91

Brad

That would be sick but the price tag isn't going to attract to many buyers, by the time you do all the add-on's that are required to optimize the power output your looking at $4500 which is what I paid for my 09 KTM 300. Hard to justify that kind of money but I am sure there are a couple people out there with pockets that deep.

I would like to see somebody build a kit with a belt driven m1000 motor. I have my M1k putting out about 200hp with just bolt on's, I can't imagine having that kind of hp on a mh kit.

cr500afx

Premium Member
Dec 18, 2008
cr500afx check this out on my site. I build these 585 cc motors . almost 100 hp I am building one of these in a crf 450 chassis right now and contiplating this mh option. We will have to see check this out.

http://www.poweraddictionracing.com/product_info.php?products_id=91

Brad

Brad,
The 585 looks great. Looks like a CPI cylinder? I have a CR625 in build right now at RPM with CPI cylinder + stroked (Crank Works). Checkout http://rpmmfg.com/CR625BigBoreStroker.aspx

I wish I would have found you guys sooner, its taking forever to get it finished....

1200psi

Nov 26, 2007
logan ut
www.poweraddictionracing.com
Brad,
The 585 looks great. Looks like a CPI cylinder? I have a CR625 in build right now at RPM with CPI cylinder + stroked (Crank Works). Checkout http://rpmmfg.com/CR625BigBoreStroker.aspx

I wish I would have found you guys sooner, its taking forever to get it finished....

I have seen his stuff. I don't know why you need to stoke a motor to 84.5 mm imo the 79 stroke is perfect. All my big motors have proven themselves at that . I will be curious to see how or what he is doing for your head. The head cpi uses will not work in your bike as it has a straight plug. Also I have a billet carb manifold for the offset . What are you doing for that offset on your carb . Maybe there is a better alternative on this that I haven't found yet.

Brad

cr500afx

Premium Member
Dec 18, 2008
I have seen his stuff. I don't know why you need to stoke a motor to 84.5 mm imo the 79 stroke is perfect. All my big motors have proven themselves at that . I will be curious to see how or what he is doing for your head. The head cpi uses will not work in your bike as it has a straight plug. Also I have a billet carb manifold for the offset . What are you doing for that offset on your carb . Maybe there is a better alternative on this that I haven't found yet.

Brad

All good points and I'll have to ask RPM about the head and carb offset. While I'm hopeful (delusional?) about the RPM 625, if I had it all over to do again I would not use RPM...

1200psi

Nov 26, 2007
logan ut
www.poweraddictionracing.com
All good points and I'll have to ask RPM about the head and carb offset. While I'm hopeful (delusional?) about the RPM 625, if I had it all over to do again I would not use RPM...

I would still love to help you if you need some help just let me know . I can hook you up if you like with the neccisary parts for your install if you need. Let me know how it turns out anyways . Thanks

Brad

Timbersled

Premium Member
Apr 22, 2008
150 hp Mountain Horse

Yamaha R1 with a Timbersled Mountain Horse mounted. Well, sort of ;)
r1-2.jpg

Robster

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Sweden
is that real Dave? did allan put that together?

It's photoshopped and not to good either. But I think the point was to just give an example of how it should look and make us all think/dream about the power and sound when riding it. :face-icon-small-ton Right Allen?

//Rob

Timbersled

Premium Member
Apr 22, 2008
It is photoshopped. Dave did it for fun. But we are making an R-1 Super Snow Bike and will look a lot like this picture all except our bike is blue and will have a 136 track or longer, not sure yet. Hope to have it on the snow by the first of the year. If it works well and can get all the bugs worked out I will ride it up the hill at Jackson Hole.

Allen

Last edited:

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
It is photoshopped. Dave did it for fun. But we are making an R-1 Super Snow Bike and will look a lot like this picture all except our bike is blue and will have a 136 track or longer, not sure yet. Hope to have it on the snow by the first of the year. If it works well and can get all the bugs worked out I will ride it up the hill at Jackson Hole.

Allen

Oh snap, I will have to get there Fri. morning and stay the weekend just to see this.

T

turbo99

Mar 16, 2008
tacoma,wa

Allen

i rode the 750 gsxr bike around the yard last weekend, wow it is going to be fast. mine is ready for testing on the snow. the next one i do will be with the frame that the motor came in.

136 is it going to be hill climber only?

cr500afx

Premium Member
Dec 18, 2008
Turbo CRF450R Build

A few pics attached of the compressor side of things. Next, Kelly at KMS will be fabricating the plenum and the exhaust side in the next few days. Hopefully turbo'd dyno runs by the weekend.
Interesting note. Baseline dyno on the brand new stock 2009 CRF450R was a pitiful 43.93 HP. That would be a whopping 30 HP at 10,000 ASL. Stock dyno run is attached too.
More to come...

photo 1.jpg photo 2.jpg photo 3.jpg photo 4.jpg 2009 CRF450R Stock HP&Torque.jpg

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
wow, thats impressive work there CR! Whats your goals for HP after the turbo is all tuned up?

cr500afx

Premium Member
Dec 18, 2008
wow, thats impressive work there CR! Whats your goals for HP after the turbo is all tuned up?

Thanks.

We're building 2 bikes.
This one is the stock 450 turbo'd and were looking for around 75 HP on the dyno.

The second bike, another new 2009 CRF450R, we have removed the engine and KMS is building a "gorilla" 550 to turbo to around 110-120 HP... I'll post pics of that when the motor is back together and back into the bike.

Turbo/wastegates/Fueling will be setup to adjust for altitude to maintain near dyno HP up to 10-12,000 ASL.

KMS Performance is doing all the work. Kelly at KMS is big into custom ATV and UTV turbo builds for the desert rats in Arizona climbing those big sand dunes. He's already turbo'd several ATV's to the numbers we're shooting for. Biggest challenge is getting it all to fit on the bike... I can hardly wait for Kelly to fab the 2 1/2" exhaust.

http://www.facebook.com/kmsperformance

Premium Features