• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2012 Nytro going on a major weight loss program ?

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
Ok, it got the best of me.... I heard some rumors of a revised Nytro for next year featuring some substantial weight loss..... is there any truth to this? Surely someone has to know. Or am I stuck riding XP's till the end of time? :eek:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Must be that same totally unsubstantiated rumor about the 2012 Nytro that I heard.....

If it's true, or even has some truth to it, Yamaha is going to make a bid for the mountain segment in a big way.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
If the Nytro was to loose the "100lbs" that the general rumor mill is suggesting they are targeting, it would be a total game changer for Yamaha.

T
Nov 28, 2007
Why would Yamaha Lisen to there customers now? We have been complaining about weight for years!

Yamaha Knows that if you turbo/sc the sled weight is not an issue.

They have never cared about mountain riders or hill climbing.

Most sledders out there can not afford or do not want to put a turbo on there sled.

Yamaha builds a reliable sled that will get you home. If that is most important to you then buy a heavy sled. If you want to climb hills and play in the powder then but a 2-stroke (or dump $6-20,000 into you $11,000 Yamaha).

I for one would live to see a reliable Nytro with 100 pounds of fat removed. But if the thing is going to cost $17,000 what is the Point?

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
For people that think the nytro is heavy, it is only like 10 or so pounds heavier then an older model rev with electric start..

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Why would Yamaha Lisen to there customers now? We have been complaining about weight for years!

I for one would live to see a reliable Nytro with 100 pounds of fat removed. But if the thing is going to cost $17,000 what is the Point?
Can't offer you any insight as to WHY they would be interested in this subject NOW and not ever before.

Like I said, this is just as "unsubstantiated rumor" suggesting that Yamaha may be going after a real place in the Mountain Segment by introducing a new Nytro in 2012 that is something like 100Lbs lighter.

05REVSTER

Feb 19, 2008
Manitoba Canada
www.youtube.com
I think it's just always going to be a way of life that the 4-strokes are heavier. As Yamaha gets better at shaving weight off other components the other 3 are going to be doing the same. When you start with a heavier engine it's hard to catch up.

But really I had no problem with the weight of my Rev and when I have 10 liters less fuel in the tank and few other light weight parts my Nytro will be pretty damn close to my Rev.

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
I think it's just always going to be a way of life that the 4-strokes are heavier. As Yamaha gets better at shaving weight off other components the other 3 are going to be doing the same. When you start with a heavier engine it's hard to catch up.

But really I had no problem with the weight of my Rev and when I have 10 liters less fuel in the tank and few other light weight parts my Nytro will be pretty damn close to my Rev.

Agreed!

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
dont hold your breath on 100lbs...that is off the charts. I've got almost 3 grand into lightweight parts and it dropped just over 50lbs...so who knows what the factory would charge for the same thing. I could see a yamaha partnership with more aftermarket lightweight parts, or some kind of HP add ons.

I love my yami as much as the next guy, but if I had to guess I think that next year will see a little focus on the trail sleds and minor (if any) changes to the Nytro MTX since the 2010 had some significant changes. With the economy how it is, it wouldn't surprise me if they just did BNG's and called it good. (Thats bold new graphics for the new guys).

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
More comments from more people are suggesting this really might be for REAL.... and that Yamaha is going to make a serious push to lower the total weight of the 2012 Nytro to be much more competitive with the lightweight sleds in the mountain performance market.

Scary to think I might only get 2 seasons of our my 2010 SE before I have to hand it down to my son and buy a new 2012!!

I can already see that conversation with my wife...
But Honey, its a Whole New Sled.
I have to upgrade or I will be behind the times.. :face-icon-small-hap

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
More comments from more people are suggesting this really might be for REAL.... and that Yamaha is going to make a serious push to lower the total weight of the 2012 Nytro to be much more competitive with the lightweight sleds in the mountain performance market.

Scary to think I might only get 2 seasons of our my 2010 SE before I have to hand it down to my son and buy a new 2012!!

I can already see that conversation with my wife...
But Honey, its a Whole New Sled.
I have to upgrade or I will be behind the times.. :face-icon-small-hap

I've tried that... Didnt go over so well.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Well, I have PLENTY of time to work on it between now and the spring of 2011 when its time to snowcheck a 2012.

Premium Features