• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Changing to a new driver Help!!

i got my suspension out so i can start measuring for the drop, and i need to know what the best driver is to install to get more lug clearance, and when changing it out what other issues am i going to encounter with top speed or acceleration

i got a 97 formula z with an m-10 im dropping the suspension to clear the exchangers but i'd like to switch to a smaller driver cause a drop and roll seems pretty difficult. i want to be able to have the biggest lug i can get on there say a 2.5in tops.

Drivers are way easier as no one makes a S-chassis D&R kit any more. I was making some templates, but I kinda got sidetracked when I found out the new bulkhead I was using was a 380 and the cases are different...

With a D&R you need to move the driveshaft, AND the jackshaft. Takes a bit of grinding. Easiest done with sled completely stripped and belly pan off. Alot of work.

Changing drivers just needs to remove drivesahft, have new drivers installed, and change gearing in chancase to match 11%, so, you need to up your gearing to be the same. eg if you were running a 22/44 thats 2:1 you would need to go to approx 24/43 to equal the same. Your spedo is also going to be out 11% as well.

Thing with a D&R, now that I have that done, I can install 8T drivers and get a 3" track WOOOT!!!

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
8 tooth will get you a 2.0 lug, I would in no way run a 7 tooth..........it will ratchet for sure. I have an extended chaincase but it's for a mechanical brake system, if you had that you could run 2.5 with 9 tooths.

Premium Features