• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

670 problem, metal pinging noise, lacks power, won't warm start

E
Dec 8, 2008
Chelan area
So, went for a ride today and all was good up until my sled overheated. saw the light, shut it off for a good 10 minutes then made sure to ride in the powder to keep it cooled down, was tearin up the hill 5 minutes later and randomly died like the teather was yanked off, started back up fine. 20 minutes later, sled felt like the belt was going, it seemed like it lacked power and was kina doggin, shut it off to check the belt and seemed ok, little worn. started 'er up moved about 20 feet and a farely loud metel-to-metal noise make me freak, dad was sitting 30 feet away and turned when he heard it, started dogging and bogging down and slowly idleing lower and lower and when i gave it gas it just bogged and slowly died.

tried to re-start it and it wouldnt. over the next 30 minutes we, checked the teather, fuel and spark. put new plugs in and tried to start it, nothing. pulled the new plugs and you couldnt smell any fuel. there was spark although my dad seems to think it may have weak spark, did a little pre-mix of fuel and oil into a gatorade cup and pored some into the cylinders to see if it would fire and absolutely nothing happened, didnt even sound like it wanted to. primed it a couple times and tried to start once then nothing. pulled the plugs several times and tried adding more gas but nothing happed.

towed it about 10 minutes and tried re-starting it, after about 10-15 pulls it started, sounded a bit off tune and sounded like the engine was making a loud nocking sound (MAG side). blipped the throttle a bit and sled wanted to go so i rode it 50ft and the noise went away and sounded like it was fine. stayed running for a good 20 minutes but when i hit the throttle it hesitates and sometimes seems normal. could still tell something wasnt right, right before it died i got it up to about 7000 rpms on the trail for a brief second and sounded normal, then suddenly wasnt responding and slowly started dying, almost like it was out of fuel, so i shut it off before it killed itself. towed it back to the truck and tried re-starting it 30 mins after it died and it didnt sound like it was even trying.

So, now that im done with this huge post, ive come down to this... pretty much nothing actually. didnt want to start even when we poard fuel into the cylinders, seems like it will restart when its cold, sometimes... makes a weird, farely loud metal nocking noise, then seems to go away after i start riding. started noticably acting up after i was tearin around the pow a bit at WOT, and stopped to see why it was lacking a bit of power.

Anyone have any idea what this could be? Fried rings? Bearing goin out? I really have no idea, gonna pull the head tomorrow and look inside. just seems weird that it shuts off but fires back up after a wait, but sounds strange and power dosnt seem to be there... Thanks guys, im stumped...

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
So, went for a ride today and all was good up until my sled overheated. saw the light, shut it off for a good 10 minutes then made sure to ride in the powder to keep it cooled down, was tearin up the hill 5 minutes later and randomly died like the teather was yanked off, started back up fine. 20 minutes later, sled felt like the belt was going, it seemed like it lacked power and was kina doggin, shut it off to check the belt and seemed ok, little worn. started 'er up moved about 20 feet and a farely loud metel-to-metal noise make me freak, dad was sitting 30 feet away and turned when he heard it, started dogging and bogging down and slowly idleing lower and lower and when i gave it gas it just bogged and slowly died.

tried to re-start it and it wouldnt. over the next 30 minutes we, checked the teather, fuel and spark. put new plugs in and tried to start it, nothing. pulled the new plugs and you couldnt smell any fuel. there was spark although my dad seems to think it may have weak spark, did a little pre-mix of fuel and oil into a gatorade cup and pored some into the cylinders to see if it would fire and absolutely nothing happened, didnt even sound like it wanted to. primed it a couple times and tried to start once then nothing. pulled the plugs several times and tried adding more gas but nothing happed.

towed it about 10 minutes and tried re-starting it, after about 10-15 pulls it started, sounded a bit off tune and sounded like the engine was making a loud nocking sound (MAG side). blipped the throttle a bit and sled wanted to go so i rode it 50ft and the noise went away and sounded like it was fine. stayed running for a good 20 minutes but when i hit the throttle it hesitates and sometimes seems normal. could still tell something wasnt right, right before it died i got it up to about 7000 rpms on the trail for a brief second and sounded normal, then suddenly wasnt responding and slowly started dying, almost like it was out of fuel, so i shut it off before it killed itself. towed it back to the truck and tried re-starting it 30 mins after it died and it didnt sound like it was even trying.

So, now that im done with this huge post, ive come down to this... pretty much nothing actually. didnt want to start even when we poard fuel into the cylinders, seems like it will restart when its cold, sometimes... makes a weird, farely loud metal nocking noise, then seems to go away after i start riding. started noticably acting up after i was tearin around the pow a bit at WOT, and stopped to see why it was lacking a bit of power.

Anyone have any idea what this could be? Fried rings? Bearing goin out? I really have no idea, gonna pull the head tomorrow and look inside. just seems weird that it shuts off but fires back up after a wait, but sounds strange and power dosnt seem to be there... Thanks guys, im stumped...

pull the plugs and the exhaust..sounds like it tore up the pistons, look thru the exhaust ports for scuffing on pistons..also look at the reeds..sounds like they got chewed up also......doesnt sound good...

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
Yep at least pull the Y pipe and take a look. No reeds on the RV motors, so that won't be an issue. It doesn't sound good, better start pulling it apart....good luck!!

S

Skidoohmx

Nov 26, 2007
Deary, Idaho
Good luck and don't run the motor anymore until you find the problem. Does the motor rotate freely by spinning the clutch by hand?

E
Dec 8, 2008
Chelan area
Pistons are fried. i'll upload pics. Sleaves look ok.

CIMG0029.jpg

CIMG0032.jpg

CIMG0036.jpg

CIMG0037.jpg

Last edited:
Z
Jan 19, 2008
Wrangell, AK
Oh yeah....I've seen that! Classic work-hardened piston blowing off upper ring land. Had that happen two years ago to my old 670x motor! One long pull, piston got hot, BANG!, that was all she wrote. I've got ONE X piston left from that meltdown if you want it. If you take your time, you can clean that head up. Won't be perfect, but run-able. Don't stress out, easy fix. You might be into this for some postage and a new base gasket.

Can't tell if there is damage to other piston or not. Looks like something had been banging around in that cylinder as well. Looks like it happened some time ago.

Make sure that you don't have any debri in crankcase before you try re-assembling it.

Does mom know you are using her kitchen table as a workbench?? Lol!

E
Dec 8, 2008
Chelan area
Oh yeah....I've seen that! Classic work-hardened piston blowing off upper ring land. Had that happen two years ago to my old 670x motor! One long pull, piston got hot, BANG!, that was all she wrote. I've got ONE X piston left from that meltdown if you want it. If you take your time, you can clean that head up. Won't be perfect, but run-able. Don't stress out, easy fix. You might be into this for some postage and a new base gasket.

Can't tell if there is damage to other piston or not. Looks like something had been banging around in that cylinder as well. Looks like it happened some time ago.

Make sure that you don't have any debri in crankcase before you try re-assembling it.

Does mom know you are using her kitchen table as a workbench?? Lol!

Haha, ya NOW she knows, she just got home from work and saw the parts and said (oh no! not again...). haha.the other piston does have damage, not much, and surprisingly both rings on the MAG side piston are good, and the lower ring on the PTO side is good. I'll wire wheel the head a little and spiff it up, the right side of the head in the picture was last years doings... i'll peak around the crankcase b4 installing. The cylinders are near perfect, ive got them soaking in murotic acid as we speak to touch em up a little, i'll try to take some close-ups of the sleaves but they are near perfect, very very small imperfections if your feel carefully, i honestly dont think it will effect it, its so little.

E
Dec 8, 2008
Chelan area
Update, cleaned the head with 220 grit sandpaper and a red pad, took about an hour. :) ready to go. Getting cylinders honed out next week, $10 each. Not sure what to use to get rid of the light scratches from the 220 on the mating surface...? 1000grit?

Before...
CIMG0029.jpg

After...
CIMG0046.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features