• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

94'-95' Summit

W

WAmtnsledr

Jul 12, 2009
hey i was looking at 94' and 95' Summits, and i thought the guys in the ski doo forum could answer a couple questions:D, couldn't really find much information anywhere else. Does anybody know the dry weight and hp ratings of 94 and 95 470's, 583's, and 670's? I really like the looks of these sleds and wanted to possibly buy one. Are they reliable, and i guess what i want to know the most, are they good mountain sleds,can they boondock with the best of them and do they have the power to climb any steep hills, can they sidehill at all, is it like throwing around a tank in the pow,etc. Thanks for any help.

O
Dec 2, 2007
Black Hills
hey i was looking at 94' and 95' Summits, and i thought the guys in the ski doo forum could answer a couple questions:D, couldn't really find much information anywhere else. Does anybody know the dry weight and hp ratings of 94 and 95 470's, 583's, and 670's? I really like the looks of these sleds and wanted to possibly buy one. Are they reliable, and i guess what i want to know the most, are they good mountain sleds,can they boondock with the best of them and do they have the power to climb any steep hills, can they sidehill at all, is it like throwing around a tank in the pow,etc. Thanks for any help.

I think the 470's were about 80-85 hp, 583's were 100 or 105 with 40mm carbs, 670's pushing 120hp, probably the best mod for these sleds was to swap in an sc-10 rear suspension which will improve the ride and lose several pounds at the same time. They were very reliable but compared to todays sleds they are a tank, we are still running a 94 stx 583 as a loaner sled, the 583 is still untouched after 15 years. Get rid of some weight, put on a can (the stock silencer must weigh 30 lbs), modern skis, modern lightweight track-------hmmmm--------I might start looking for an old green summit myself.

W

WAmtnsledr

Jul 12, 2009
thanks for all the info!!!!:D do you think they were probably around 520-530 dry?

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
That sled set-up right would definetly be a neat mountains sled, it could also make a good sleeper, shave some weight off it, like all foam and any components not really needed, longtrack it, do a Rev Seat conversion or taller seat and Handle bars, sno-eliminator type running boards and some TLC and would make a fun sled, but will always be heavier than a newer sled an won`t handle the same. but build what you enjoy. Those F Chassis sleds are cool looking.

Good Luck.

http://s375.photobucket.com/albums/oo197/ddcard/

W

WAmtnsledr

Jul 12, 2009
awesome sled wildcard28!!!:D onlyrotax, when you said they were a tank compared to the newer sleds i thought you meant ike 520+, 490 lbs. isn't that heavy, only a couple pounds heavier than a new Assault!! And after checking them out some more i'm leaning towards a 95' 670. thanks for all the feedback!

Last edited:
O
Dec 2, 2007
Black Hills
Another thing about the F chassis that I did not care for was the wide, flat belly pan on the front, they seemed to push a lot of snow instead of splitting it or floating over it. The S chassis was essentially the same sled but it had a more rounded belly pan that was shaped like the bottom of a boat and went through deep snow a lot better, if you can put on longer shocks and get the front end of the F chassis up in the air a little bit it will go through the snow a lot better.

W

WAmtnsledr

Jul 12, 2009
i just think it would be awesome making one insane F chassis summit..... maybe a turbo... hahaha, probably could never do that.

Nov 19, 2008
B.C. Canada
U can definately turbo one of these back in 98 there was a guy in our town with 95 turbo 670summit and it haul'd a s s. I did a 95 machZ up with a sc-10 and all the summit goodies but in the end went back with the s chassis over the f doo to the weight and ride quality but they look fast. tripple s chassis kick butt :D

N
Nov 26, 2007
CowTown
If you do buy one, re-jetting is mandatory. I dropped my 95 670 from 410's to 370's, went leaner on the needle with AA2's and raised the clip one position. EGT on it and she ran 1200's all day, pulled like a freight train.

Onlyrotas is right, can's and suspension were really heavy. But if a guy wanted to do full mod on one, you could really chop them down, they had lots of fat to trim. If you could get one really cheap it would be a fun little sled. I would only consider the 583 or the 670. The 470 was a good motor but the added weight of the sled would not lend itself to the sub-500cc class very well. You'd have to make it REALLLLLYYYY light in order for a 470 to be able to climb some decent hills. IF you're building a sled for a wife or kid, the 470 would be a decent choice.

One of the bonuses was the nice big tank, no jerry cans. Longer shocks up front to get the nose up in the air and a different track are all mandatory.

Bulkhead and tunnel clearance for the bigger tracks is another issue here, need a longer chaincase, drop and roll or 7T drivers to have decent clearance with a 2" track. I think you can get away with 8T drivers, but a 2" track is tight with this setup (assuming my memoery is accurate). Its been a few years since I worked on one.

M
Apr 26, 2009
Cambridge Idaho
I owned a '95 and a '97, both 670's. The 95 actually had a little more power than the 97, and the 95 got a lot better fuel economy, but the 95 was a tank. The rear suspension was no good at all, and same with the brake. It had the same brake as my '86 Formula Plus, and that brake just was not strong enough for the lug track, it would quickly fad and you'd have to come home without brakes. Also, the torque of the track tricked the self adjuster to mess up, and that was a PITA to fix on the hill. If you get a 95, i'd suggest buying a chaincase off of a 96-99 to upgrade the brake, and the rear suspension off of the newer sled too. I bet you can buy those parts for cheap now. The 97 climbed twice as good as the 95, better track, 35 lbs lighter, better suspension, and I agree with the belly pan differences. Oh, and I believe the '95 was advertised over 500 lbs. However my '95 was indestructible. around 8000 miles had to replace my needle and needle seat because that was the first item to wear out! had not even been into the clutch yet. Pretty amazing.

Premium Features