• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Explorer kit owners beware!

painterdrew

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oregon
Inability to side hill?? I will side hill circles around you. The rear suspension travel in the farthest foward position isn't the greatest, but it still works plenty good in the deep. I'm personally sick of hearing how the 2 moto's deal is better, Personally I don't care if it is, or is not. You'r not helping the sport by saying crap like this. The explorer kit works great, I have pounded it and its not broken. Have you even tried one? Its funny none of the explorer guys are bashing 2 moto. Maybe because were having to much fun riding.

I dont know what you mean by saying crap. If i offer an opinion Im saying crap. If you offer one what is that? Dont you have to by a side hill kit in order for it to side hill?

My opinion is that the 2 moto kit cost more and you get more. It is a more performance oriented setup IMO

Explorer is cheaper and probably better if you want to ride trails at low to med speeds. Thats not what we want to do. Off trail it wont stand up on its own when you stop. That is a complete deal killer for me. I ride very often with my daughter. She is a MX racer and rides very well. She can go anywhere the "men" do on their one ski setups. However she is 5'-2" tall. She stops on her 2-moto and it stays standing. She can get off, leave it where it is and it still stays standing upright. She can climb back on and ride away. Can you do that on your explorer.

As to talking crap, your the one saying that you would sidehill circles around me. Have you seen me ride? It seems like your the one bashing....... Im not an internet pro rider. However there does seem to be a lot of those around.

N
Dec 15, 2008
neilm... who did you contact at adboivin? who did you buy the kit from? and have you seen bernie's post about if you have problems please feel free to contact him or contact me,,, i am always on here and always will help anyone. there is an update for your part, all you have to do is call me.

poacher? where u getting that adboivin dont support people? do u call the other oem's or your dealer? i have put all year into this project and will help anyone!

thanks

mike
i contacted a guy called Hugo, he replied to me quickly when i wanted to buy a crossover kit to put the explorer on my RMZ450, but hasn't mailed me back about this problem. i'm not very happy with AD boivin.

B

Blaser

Feb 24, 2004
Idaho
www.2moto.com
Off trail it wont stand up on its own when you stop. That is a complete deal killer for me. I ride very often with my daughter. she is 5'-2" tall. She stops on her 2-moto and it stays standing. She can get off, leave it where it is and it still stays standing upright. She can climb back on and ride away. Can you do that on your explorer?

May I share my experience? Just the experience-
I tipped over in a powder meadow on Mike's Explorer, trying to get it to hold a powder turn. Then I could not get it to balance so I could kick start it. My feet could touch, but it was powder, and I kept tipping over. The kickstand was useless in the soft snow. Mike came out and showed me how to do it. He leaned his chest over the seat of the bike, and kick started it with his hand. Wow.
Following Mike's riding instructions, I tried to get the Explorer to hold a powder turn 3 more times. Each time someone would come balance the bike so I could kick start it in the meadow.

B
Jan 12, 2008
hamburg,ny
does the 2 moto have the "landing gear" like i saw on a goldwing at honda to keep it from tipping over when you fall off or stop? what am i missing here? what keeps it up? sometimes my hawk stands and sometimes it falls,im sure the 2 moto call fall over too......im not trying to be an idiot or say one is better tha the other,just dont get it....

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
does the 2 moto have the "landing gear" like i saw on a goldwing at honda to keep it from tipping over when you fall off or stop? what am i missing here? what keeps it up? sometimes my hawk stands and sometimes it falls,im sure the 2 moto call fall over too......im not trying to be an idiot or say one is better tha the other,just dont get it....

Its the pivot ski design on both the Hawk and Explorer. The 2moto is ridged with no pivot left to right. That allows it to stand on its own.
I got to wonder how someone with a KX500 is going to deal with this on an explorer.. I dont think anyone is going to hand start one of those..

A
Mar 4, 2008
I dont know what you mean by saying crap. If i offer an opinion Im saying crap. If you offer one what is that? Dont you have to by a side hill kit in order for it to side hill?

My opinion is that the 2 moto kit cost more and you get more. It is a more performance oriented setup IMO

Explorer is cheaper and probably better if you want to ride trails at low to med speeds. Thats not what we want to do. Off trail it wont stand up on its own when you stop. That is a complete deal killer for me. I ride very often with my daughter. She is a MX racer and rides very well. She can go anywhere the "men" do on their one ski setups. However she is 5'-2" tall. She stops on her 2-moto and it stays standing. She can get off, leave it where it is and it still stays standing upright. She can climb back on and ride away. Can you do that on your explorer.

As to talking crap, your the one saying that you would sidehill circles around me. Have you seen me ride? It seems like your the one bashing....... Im not an internet pro rider. However there does seem to be a lot of those around.

Have you ever ridden And Explorer??? How do you know it doesn't side hill??? I told this to my buddies that I was in CO with for a week, And they just laughed. I could side hill for as long as there was a hill left, I could stop on the side hill and resume with no big deal. You do not need a wheel kit to make this work. I do not own a side hill wheel kit, And I went anywhere. As far as being a internet pro, Thats not where I'm coming from. I trained with Donnie Schmit for many years, He was my best freind. He was world champion for 3 years, I also mentored Heath Voss. Rode a lot with Corey Keeney, Jimmy Polvony, Craig Decker. These were very fast guys in the late 90's. I also had the chance to race with All the factory guys in the late 90's. Now I wasn't the fastest pro out there. but I also wasn't the slowest. I now race MTN bikes in MN, And I have done that for the last 10 years with a little motorcycle racing thrown in the mix. I have finished top 10 in state for the last 7 years, with last year finishing first. Why am I telling you this, Because I'm proud of what I've accomplished. As far as the Explorer not standing up. I'm glad it doesn't stand up. That what helps it turn in the hard pack. Does the 2 moto work on hard pack, can it turn with out washing the front end? You see I'm not going to say it doesn't, because I have never ridden one. You on the other hand, will bash another product before you have ever even tried it.

A
Mar 4, 2008
I tipped over in a powder meadow on Mike's Explorer, trying to get it to hold a powder turn. Then I could not get it to balance so I could kick start it. My feet could touch, but it was powder, and I kept tipping over. The kickstand was useless in the soft snow. Mike came out and showed me how to do it. He leaned his chest over the seat of the bike, and kick started it with his hand. Wow.
Following Mike's riding instructions, I tried to get the Explorer to hold a powder turn 3 more times. Each time someone would come balance the bike so I could kick start it in the meadow.

What happened when you turned. Did it wash, Did it tuck in. I don't get it. The very first day I rode mine, I could drag the handle bars through the snow. I have never washed out or fell over. I have fallen over trying to kick start it. I thought it was kind of funny and had a good laugh about it. I have since then fixed my electric start issue and hopefully will not have anymore problems. You must be telling me your kit is more like a snowmobile were it will stand anywhere. Even on hard pack? Sure can't wait to try this thing.

A
Mar 4, 2008
Its the pivot ski design on both the Hawk and Explorer. The 2moto is ridged with no pivot left to right. That allows it to stand on its own.
I got to wonder how someone with a KX500 is going to deal with this on an explorer.. I dont think anyone is going to hand start one of those..

500's are not that hard to start. I raced one for years. A 500 would be fun. nice and light with wicked power.

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
500's are not that hard to start. I raced one for years. A 500 would be fun. nice and light with wicked power.

Your more of a man than me.. Ive worn out 4 cr500 as am working on the 5th
A pair of tech 8s last about 6 mounts before the soles are broke threw..
Absolutely agree that a 500 would make a great snowbike platform.
I just dont want the hassle of kickstarting a big bore after digging out from a stuck or being in a situation such as on a steep hill in deeper powder.
Perhaps a few years ago I may have thought diff.

B
Jan 12, 2008
hamburg,ny
allright 877 mike, tell everyone how mean you are to blaser and the 2 moto test riders.....tell them how you took off the snow tracker and carbides so they wouldnt steer and stuff....of you probly had a jr60 ski with the single center carbide on it....thats just wrong to do that to the competition! hahaha

A
Mar 4, 2008
Your more of a man than me.. Ive worn out 4 cr500 as am working on the 5th
A pair of tech 8s last about 6 mounts before the soles are broke threw..
Absolutely agree that a 500 would make a great snowbike platform.
I just dont want the hassle of kickstarting a big bore after digging out from a stuck or being in a situation such as on a steep hill in deeper powder.
Perhaps a few years ago I may have thought diff.

Its been awhile since I owned a 500. Maybe the fog of old age has me remembering different. When I raced them I was 5'11 at 160lbs, and I remember jumping on the kick starter to get it to fire. I remember if it wasnt pointed straight when you got on it, You were in trouble. I would love to own another 500, But I remember the thing would rattle it self to death when they were brand new. I cracked the pipe every other time I rode it.:D

N
Dec 15, 2008

Blaser, i take it you sell the 2moto? well i've been reading a lot of the Explorer V 2moto posts, and although I'm not very happy with ADboivin i must say i wouldn't buy a box of matches from you.. all i ever read in your posts is you at every opportunity trying to bash the Explorer. is that how you make your product better, by pulling the opposition down? :(

Dec 4, 2007
pa
although I'm not very happy with ADboivin :(

neil,,,,you mentioned you contacted hugo,,, he was on the road last week picking up 4 bikes to add to the boivin fleet for their tour starting very soon. they have been busy, not the best excuse but it is true. thats why we are trying to set up a good network of dealers so you can call us, so with that said,,,, i hope i can make you happy,, i have already contacted who i need to, and you will hear something very soon,,, they are not in on weekends,,, and you pm me your phone number or email it to me @ mikecomisac@aol.com please and you will be taken care of with the new update. thanks

mike

B

Blaser

Feb 24, 2004
Idaho
www.2moto.com
all i ever read in your posts is you at every opportunity trying to bash the Explorer. is that how you make your product better, by pulling the opposition down? :(

The RadiX and Explorer are completely different in design and performance. Pointing out the differences, and typing it so it does not sound confrontational is very difficult.

You'll note that my post was purely my experience. Posting one's experience is not bashing. Posting one's opinion can be, and is tough to do.

I hope you find a good solution for your fork, and can get back to riding soon. Here's a few recent nice things you may have missed:

No doubt about the Hawks. They do rip-

the Explorer gives you a great snow bike experience.

I've ridden with dozens of 800cc Hawks. They're very impressive in their element.

I was impressed with the Explorer front end feel... In the track forward position and staying in the packed part, the Explorer ski was great at 2nd gear or slower speeds. .

It really had a good stable feel. .

Moving the track into the powder (forward) position the front ski felt the best.

Would like to thank Mike again for adding 6+ driving hours to his trip and coming out to Boise. He's a great guy, and a good voice for Boivin and the snow bike community.

N
Dec 15, 2008
The RadiX and Explorer are completely different in design and performance. Pointing out the differences, and typing it so it does not sound confrontational is very difficult.

You'll note that my post was purely my experience. Posting one's experience is not bashing. Posting one's opinion can be, and is tough to do.

I hope you find a good solution for your fork, and can get back to riding soon. Here's a few recent nice things you may have missed:

LOL, i like what you did there, you must be in training to be a politician!!
and no i didn't miss that you said something nice, its just when its followed by 3 things that are not, i start to wounder. :rolleyes:
constructive criticism is good, but blatant bashing is NAFF

C
Dec 3, 2007
LOL, i like what you did there, you must be in training to be a politician!!
and no i didn't miss that you said something nice, its just when its followed by 3 things that are not, i start to wounder. :rolleyes:
constructive criticism is good, but blatant bashing is NAFF

I have no money in this fight. I can't speak for anyone, buy Brett is a great guy in person. He is passionate about snow biking and loves his product, 2Moto. You can tell that he is proud of the 2moto system. The internet is not the place to judge character. I don't take what he says as blatant bashing at all. The 2moto setup is completely different than the Explorer. He is very educated about what works and what breaks. I too have taken a close look at the Explorer kit. IMO it is not ready for prime time. I think that the front end problem was evident from the beginning. There are some other potential engineering flaws with the rear, that time will only tell. I'm not a big fan of letting the paying customers do your product development. I sincerely hope that AD can resolve the front end issue and no one gets hurt. Again this is my opinion. Get on your snow fun device and ride! Take care everyone, the AVVY danger is getting high after the last storm in the West.

T
Oct 15, 2008
TallBoysWRF,

I see your announcement as the warning you meant it to be, not a dig on the product.
Hopefully AD B will address it properly and fore warn "all" it's product users should be simple to accomplish.

Thanks, I see someone understands what I was getting at.

Did I miss something? (Don't answer this.) Somehow my post about a (what I think is serious) design flaw that I found in my kit turned into the game show "Who's More Guilty of Bashing the Competition?"

I'll try to address a couple of points from my point of view. I don't think the explorer's front end needs to attach to to both forks, it just needs needs to be stiffened. The dowels that attached the center vertical plate to the brake caliper mounts were not rigid enough. They were too easily over stressed and they yielded. The bottom caliper mount on my bike is very short and stiff, the top is long and slender. When the aluminum dowels yield, they try to bend the bolts in the caliper mounts. My bottom one bent until it broke (no major damage to the rigid mount). While the bottom bolt was bending, the top mount was twisting as it was weaker than the bolt (it's designed to not bed, and normally would see zero twisting with the brake caliper). When the bottom bolt finally broke, the top mount was the only thing holding the ski in position, and it was easily over loaded then, which torqued off the mount. You'll notice in the picture that the end of the mount is still attached to the dowel. If those dowels were stiffer, to be able to brake the front end, the caliper bolts would both have to shear off, a much harder thing to do.

My original suggestion to AD B was to enlarge the base of the dowels. It looks like they might have actually listened per my conversation with Mike on the phone a few minutes ago. I'll refrain from further commenting on them until I have more info. My thought behind my original suggestion was that in enlarging the bases (say to a 2 inch diameter instead of 1 inch) of the dowels, the leverage that the caliper mount applied to the ski bracket is a little less than half. In other words it takes twice the force to damage the system. I don't think I could generate the forces required to do that.

My solution as my picture showed, was to machine a sold .75 inch plate. This way, it CAN'T bend. :) If I hadn't twisted the top caliper mount on my bike, the fork would have been fine as that's the kind of stress it's designed for. Also, with the dowels, the end attached to the caliper mount can move separately from each other. They are not mechanically DIRECTLY tied together. Any force applied to one dowel has to go through that dowel, the bolt to the center plate, the center plate, the bolt in the other dowel, and through the other dowel before the other caliper mount sees any force. There are a number of parts there that can flex and bend. With the plate i had machined, any force that is applied at one part of the caliper mount is immediately applied to the other. The force seen is also limited to shear, nothing can bend unless the center plate bends in relation to the caliper mounts. The way the system is built, now I would have to hit something so hard that it folds my forks or breaks the steering head before repeating the type of breaks I had.

To who ever mentioned it, no I didn't clear the house. lol. Look closely at the landing picture and you can see where the track was in contact with the snow bank about half way down the bank. It's asphalt on the top side so it's not like I hit it with any speed. I was in first or second gear when I hit it, and blipped the throttle to carry the front end over. :rolleyes:

I haven't skied the bike off any jumps or anything. The first time when it broke the caliper mount on impact (when I took the pictures) I simply when down an embankment, no air at all.

For trying to get some sort of assistance from AD B for my broken forks, yes I am aware of the idea that if they do it for one person they have to do it for all. However, I broke two sets of forks. They could have fixed the problem properly the first time instead of telling me the bolts where just loose (I had about 20 miles on the kit at time of impact, so if they came loose in that short of time, WOW!) and sending me the same parts that already failed. Go figure, they failed again. I paid for the first set of forks, I was hoping for some help with the second break. Still no luck so I think I'm going to just have to eat it.

Just something to throw out there about the side-hilling (don't start debating this again, please), I did manage to get trapped on the side of a hill with the explorer kit. I couldn't get enough traction to keep me going up the hill and across so I was slowly sliding down the hill as I went across. I was trapped by the dense tree line at the other end of the hill and further down the hill. Anyway, that might not sound bad, but I would have had a really hard time trying to climb the hill on foot in the summer! So I would say yes, the explorer does side hill, and rather well in my opinion.

I could change fork springs, add fork oil etc. to get my front end stiffer. I have it where I do so it's as good as I can get it in the summer (still horrible on high-speed hack). Changing the fork set up so I can prevent breaking the explorer kit or my bike defeats the whole purpose of selling the bike as a "plug and play" conversion kit. Clickers are one thing, having to tear the forks apart is a whole other ball game.

If someone doesn't understand something I tried to explain, let me know and I'll see if I can do better. I'm an engineering student so some of the mechanical concepts make a whole lot more sense to me than many of you, I'm sure.

T
Oct 15, 2008
Two more things I thought of:

1) Mike, you made the comment about about the front end problem being 100% a torque issue. Please don't say this. You don't know that. No one can tell what the torque was on any of the dowels that have pulled way a little from the center plate. With your bikes that had the dowels pulled away from the center plates, you're bolts would have been slightly stretched. When they are stretched, they are going to be loose, and you'll be able to tighten them up. This doesn't mean they were loose before stretching. ;)

2) I keep hearing about all the testing the explorer kits have gone though, but how much of that was crashing? Usually a crash is what overloads parts in ways that are hard or impossible to predict/design for. I didn't crash when I broke my caliper mounts, I maintained control of the bike in both cases. However in a crash, it would be VERY easy for the ski to hit something that results in a direct torque being applied around the front axle. This needs to be accounted for in some way. Everyone crashes, it's just a matter of time.

T
Nov 29, 2007
Morrsitown Vermont
"I'm an engineering student so some of the mechanical concepts make a whole lot more sense to me than many of you, I'm sure. "

If you are such a brilliant engineering student, why did it take you two forks to notice the inherent weakness of the design and finally improve on it? Listen, you don't know who any of us are here so don't assume we are a bunch of idiots. Your engineering degree that you have not received yet may pale in comparison to what some of us do.

It sucks about your forks and it sounds like there is room for improvement, my suggestion is to find a Snowhawk it out performs both hands down no contest.

Last edited:
T
Nov 3, 2008
Not to rip on any one here;
There is some fault on both sides. The design on where it connects to the fork can and should be improved. No contest here really (torque specs or not)
Ad should have informed you that you may run into this problem and suggested options like keeping your forks from bottoming out.

The fact that you put different parts on your forks weather it is a super motto set up or a Snow ski set up (Explorer or 2 motto)
The forks need to be modified as well (springs and perhaps even the re valve is in order to slow things down).

Weight is always a concern on front ends on any bike (all motorcycles) Added weight or the reduction of weight can majorly affect its intended purpose.

If and when your fork bottoms for what ever reason it will cause damage to the weakest point (it could be you fork tube, valves. wheel, etc…)

I have been fortunate to have had many kinds of bikes and race most of them in the past; and set up is critical in all applications’.
No bike is really ready to race, (unless you weigh 160 to maybe175 with all your gear on with the bike having the sag set).
Most all manufactures set there bikes to fit that range and if you have never changed you springs your bike will never be set up correctly for you weight and riding style.

The fact that you stated that it is stiff enough and is a little choppy in the summer tells me that you need to have it set up better.
And that it is not the right set up for adding a Snow ski kit to.

Stock components’ are great and getting better on dirt bikes every year (largely due to the race teams that test and break them on a regular basis) but they need to be modified to your individual application as well.
Changing your springs is not to make it stiffer but to carry your bike higher in the stroke, valves are where the stiffness comes into play working with the oil in the forks and the amount + or –

I think you should have been told this from the beginning and after the first fork leg being broken it should have been defiantly looked into.

Also are you buying a set of forks or just the lower portion of the leg that was damaged?
I know that they sell them as sets and in pieces as well.

Premium Features