• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Denver Mountain Commute

K
Jan 26, 2019
Does anyone living in the Denver/Boulder area have any insight into what kind of commute is involved to get to some of the decent mountain riding areas nearby? There's a decent chance I'll be moving to the area this summer.

I'm just wondering if day trips are within the realm of possibility, or if you should always plan on at least an overnight trip.

I've been out there multiple times and am somewhat familiar with the area, but never for snowmobiling. I do know that I-70 can be a bear on the weekends with all of skier and mountain traffic.

Thanks!

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
Lots of places that can be done on day trips - early birds get the pow.

We have at times hit Vail, Ears, Buff, Snowys on day trips - especially good if you can swing days off during the week. On weekends if you are hitting anything up 70 you need to plan around the traffic.

That being said - we usually don't bother with day trips on weekends up 70 anymore during ski season, if we are going up 70 around a weekend we try to make it a multi-day/night trip.

aphoric

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2011
Centennial, CO
I hit the road at 5am Saturday from South University and got to Rabbit Ears by 8. Leave an hour later, it will take twice as long some days. I hate the traffic, but it is almost always avoidable if you plan and have some flexibility. Afternoon traffic on 70 coming back can be worse, so don't have plans for after sledding that can't be delayed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Premium Features