• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Diamond drive question

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
Yes BUT

do yourself a favor and open up the dd and look at the bearing on the end of the top gear opposite the cover.

Last edited:
J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Pull the drive and check it out. Read diamond drive thread to know what to look for. Bearings go. Get double row bearing in there.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
While the dd is out, take the cover off and take a look at the bearing. If it is a single row, replace it regardless how it looks. If a double row, it is probably ok but look it over real well.

C
Aug 28, 2008
North Central MN
While the dd is out, take the cover off and take a look at the bearing. If it is a single row, replace it regardless how it looks. If a double row, it is probably ok but look it over real well.

I know that it is the 6203 single row as I never opted to do the machine work to make the double row fit. I read a lot of threads on here and it just didn't sounds like something I wanted to mess with.

I have never had one apart, so I don't really know what to expect on the inside. Always took it to my dealer for the replacement.

K

killerrf

Nov 27, 2007
sk
I remember tapping the holes to 1/4" course thread and using allen bolts instead of those crappy screws cat has in there. you can actually torque down the cover with the allen bolts.

on my DDs I have had I had to shim the whole gear box itself outward with 1/4" washer bolts on all the DD mounting studs. when I first took off cover and found little bearing piled up.. fixed it up on bench and tried installing the DD assembly on sled found it would be a small gap and wouldn't fit tight against frame without pressure which wont be good for those types of bearings. cant handle side to side pressure. never had a bearing problem after that.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Very easy to pull cover with dd out. Just separate cover slowly and pay attention that the gasket stays on one of the surfaces so you dont tear it. I grease the side of gasket that I dont want to stick for easier removal next time.

Killer - curious if you are running the 6203 or one of the other choices like the 5203. When you shim out your case, do you have to remove shims from backside of the secondary to maintain alignment?

K

killerrf

Nov 27, 2007
sk
It’s been a long time since I took the DD apart. Still have the sled but I did just remove the amount of shim I put in off the secondary to compensate. Put on close to 2000 miles and no chunks in oil changes.
Can’t remember the bearing in there but bearings would be fine it bearings wouldn’t have side psi on them from factory. Or u can get the driveshaft machined so there is clearance. Bought sled at 770 miles and replaced shattered bearing and it has 2800 miles on now and oil changes look ok but haven’t taken apart in 1000 miles or so but was looking good and felt good at 1500 miles when I opened things up to look how shimming worked out

Premium Features