• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Wet Rods #830 Dry

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
Bore and stroke must also be different......1000/4=250cc and 1800/6=300cc:face-icon-small-win

C

CatRpillar

Oct 9, 2011
Wild Rose Country
Only if you count the current LS GM V8s as the same small block introduced in the 50's. The original ws replaced in the late 90's with a MUCH updated version. Porsche flat sixes like the current GT3 became water cooled instead of air cooled in 1999. That is a pretty major redesign as well, not the same engine in either case for the time periods quoted.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the Yammi sled motors except wieght. Clearly they can still make good reliable power.

Ok, so now we're getting a bit of clarity, that is weight. So what's a reasonable clean sheet of paper design going to reduce weight by? Or, there are probably things that could be relatively easily done by Yamaha to cut the current engines weight? More magnesium covers, pork chop the crank throws, hollow camshafts, slightly smaller motor with DFI, more efficient cooling system with less coolant, etc. Boost it to make power up to around 6000 rpm and then reap the benefits of more efficient clutching. Makes up another 5 hp in losses just by that if I remember Olav Aaens rule of thumbs.

Personally, I think they could have success with, let's say, a 700cc triple turbo. Drop maybe 20#'s, keep it at 150 hp (at all altitudes). Great sound, reliable, kill everyone else at altitude, and getting within spitting range on weight overall. Is that within reasonable reach?

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
I believe the patents owned by these two companies have made it difficult to design a new proprietary product. Better to get into bed with each other than spend countless dollars fighting patent infringements produced by a low volume 4 stroke product.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
I believe the patents owned by these two companies have made it difficult to design a new proprietary product. Better to get into bed with each other than spend countless dollars fighting patent infringements produced by a low volume 4 stroke product.

Yep, good comment. As a side note not a lot of people know the 800 in the Arctic Cat was designed by Cat and built by Suzuki.

C

CatRpillar

Oct 9, 2011
Wild Rose Country
Yep, good comment. As a side note not a lot of people know the 800 in the Arctic Cat was designed by Cat and built by Suzuki.

That's just a rumour. Cat builds them in woodshed behind the gas station in TRF using old Polaris motors because there are so many scrap Poo motors that they're cheap to start with. Voodoo and black magic are used - no, not that Black Magic - because that's the only thing that can be trusted if you start with a Poo.

I heard this on the internet.

Premium Features