• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cast Smartcarb?

D
Aug 29, 2010
Vancouver, BC
the problems i was reffering too were dirt riders. a yz250 with cast and a ktm300 billet. guy with the billet got it a while ago, messed around with it for months and never worked right ended up getting a refund. buddy with yz250 has a hell of a time starting it when cold, and cant get it dialed, its lean on bottom or rich on top, cant find the happy medium. put the pwk back on last weekend

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
the problems i was reffering too were dirt riders. a yz250 with cast and a ktm300 billet. guy with the billet got it a while ago, messed around with it for months and never worked right ended up getting a refund. buddy with yz250 has a hell of a time starting it when cold, and cant get it dialed, its lean on bottom or rich on top, cant find the happy medium. put the pwk back on last weekend

The Smartie cannot go rich on top? The metering rod doesn't change the top? What we have found is the precise communication of the Smart Carb reveals tuning issues elsewhere. A stock PWK can / will mask a pile of "other issues". Power valve issues have been common. One guy had a cracked intake boot. With a stock carb he jetted it away not knowing. Another had a stuffed silencer, top end was bad and blubbery. First response is, It must be the carb". Folks think buying a carb is a magic wand to make everything work perfectly. The Smart Carb is a super precise fuel management system. Any tuning "issues" elsewhere will be revealed. Installing it may reveal other issues that you weren't aware of. When a bike is solid, no "other issues" , they are spot on. I build new bikes with no " other issues" and they are all spot on. Don't blame the carb. It is simple and precise. If you find something not right, start eliminating pieces one by one. There is something going on causing signal variances. Remember, a carb only responds to what "else" is going on.

T

thejean

Jan 17, 2013
Is the stock throttle cable long enough on the KTM 300 or do we need and aftermarket cable?

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Some people have had problems with the intake boot fitting properly. The SC is 1/2" longer than the stock PWK. I have not had any fit problems, but if you are not getting a good uniform fit, contact Cycle Playground. Michael and the crew have a boot for the XCW, "no shock", and an XC with the shock, intake boot specifically modified for an easy uniform fit. Be sure and specify either XC or XCW when ordering.

http://www.cycleplayground.com/wordpress/?page_id=85#!/~/category/id=8315320&offset=0&sort=normal

J

jskattum606

Dec 3, 2007
Bozeman, MT
Sure wish they would send me mine. I pre ordered a while ago and nothing yet. My delivery was supposed to be end of march. Probably autta give them a call

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
I ordered mine July 2013 and received it last week.

Ya,... The new Cast bodies are super slow coming in small quantities at a time. Very frustrating for sure. The world wide demand and limited ability to keep up has been difficult. Corey and the gang are growing and adapting to be able to catch up and keep up. He is very sorry for the delays and thanks everyone for hanging in there.

I have 5 Billet 38's coming in a couple of weeks for builds being done. The Billet models are machined in house and not subject to the delays of the cast models. Also, you want the Billet for the Snow Bike. We are putting together a super heat system for the Billets. I would give that some thought.

T

thejean

Jan 17, 2013
Ya,... The new Cast bodies are super slow coming in small quantities at a time. Very frustrating for sure. The world wide demand and limited ability to keep up has been difficult. Corey and the gang are growing and adapting to be able to catch up and keep up. He is very sorry for the delays and thanks everyone for hanging in there.

Ugh, now you tell me! Lol

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Ugh, now you tell me! Lol

Sorry thejean,... I posted that a while back. The Cast model lacks room for the OEM heater and is having icing issues. The Billet I tested last year on the KX500AF was trouble free. We are designing a new heater system for the Billet this year.

I would call Liz asap and swap for a Billet. They are machining 30 in May. They might be all sold already? I would call today for a swap.

S

somepunk22

Feb 22, 2008
Randy, want to try my fix? It's a easy swap if you already have the OEM heater. Clean and simple.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Hi Dan, I would love to! It looks super nice and clean. We are getting details in place for a "non electric" version. Our focus is on the intake "bell". The vacuum in the intake is the major deposit area for ice. Pressure drop, temp drop will cause condensation and deposit of ice big time in the intake bell.

Here is a test pic. Deliberately searched out cold, humid conditions, max velocity to encourage max ice build up. This gives us valuable information in order to better understand it's characteristics and design a system to prevent it. For folks who have not seen carb ice in an exaggerated state, you might enjoy this pic.

carb ice 5.jpg

ravenous

Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2013
I had the carb off the 500 today. So I took a few pics.
This setup works well.The carb will NEVER ice under
any circumstances. When I throw the bike back together
I can take some pics of how its plumbed in if anyone is
interested.

carb heat 1.jpg carb heat 2.jpg carb heat 3.jpg

C

Corban_White

Dec 30, 2009
Any pics of the other side of the heater? The side toward the slide. I would love to see some plumbing pics too when you get it back on.

the gman

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2012
So where did you get this heater from. Did you build - weld it up. Looks great.

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
That's nice. A little less crude than my version.

You wouldn't have room for an intellijet now though right?

If anyone wants to see an example of how too plumb something like this, I posted pics of my setup somewhere on here. I think it was one of the 2 stroke discussions.

Premium Features