• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Misunderstood women snowmobilers

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
In a nut shell the fact is if a guy brings a buddy and he stops you from pulling the big ridge or doing the ride with a killer side hill and if you lose it you know its a total loss..... all his buddies say is..........."He is YOUR problem!" and trust me there is NO love in that comment.

NOW, lets put gender into this, a lot of guys just WONT say the same thing about a guys lady. BUT, they ARE thinking it! If a guy says he does not than he is a liar. All kidding aside and sexist whatever I will say I have NEVER rode with nor met a gal that can contribute the same things as a guy. She may ride that thing to he11 and back but when it gets wrapped around a tree in the most awkward way you just need the muscle.

So to keep it fair and I am sure all you ladies would like to think men and women are created equally but they just are NOT and I am damn glad they are not.. I would not expect a gal to be a equal lifter to a buried 174 track on slushy snow. Facts are facts! With that said I know some gals can ride like a mutha but when the chips are down or the track is deep or the creek runith over the hood....face it you need some dudes.

Not trying to discredit anyone but there is a reason guys have the weekend ride with the chicks and without. I really dont think this is about guys or gals as a lot of guys fit right into the same above scenarios. I applogize in advance for any hurt feelings.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
In a nut shell the fact is if a guy brings a buddy and he stops you from pulling the big ridge or doing the ride with a killer side hill and if you lose it you know its a total loss..... all his buddies say is..........."He is YOUR problem!" and trust me there is NO love in that comment.

NOW, lets put gender into this, a lot of guys just WONT say the same thing about a guys lady. BUT, they ARE thinking it! If a guy says he does not than he is a liar. All kidding aside and sexist whatever I will say I have NEVER rode with nor met a gal that can contribute the same things as a guy. She may ride that thing to he11 and back but when it gets wrapped around a tree in the most awkward way you just need the muscle.

So to keep it fair and I am sure all you ladies would like to think men and women are created equally but they just are NOT and I am damn glad they are not.. I would not expect a gal to be a equal lifter to a buried 174 track on slushy snow. Facts are facts! With that said I know some gals can ride like a mutha but when the chips are down or the track is deep or the creek runith over the hood....face it you need some dudes.

Not trying to discredit anyone but there is a reason guys have the weekend ride with the chicks and without. I really dont think this is about guys or gals as a lot of guys fit right into the same above scenarios. I applogize in advance for any hurt feelings.

^^^^agreed

P
Oct 13, 2009
Castlegar, BC
I whole-heartedly agree!!!

What gets me is the women that constantly want credit for being a woman. The constant need for approval for accomplishing something, and, oh wait, don't forget, I'm a girl!!!!

What women need to realize is that we have advantages in this sport too. Women are more flexible and agile, and lighter for the most part, which are HUGE advantages. So suck it up and stop making excuses, or even worse, expecting credit for doing something just because you're a girl!

I don't know any woman that wants to be one of the dudes or ride like a dude, most girls just want to be accepted and invited to ride with the boys.

Be prepared when you are accepted, to get yourseflf out of every hairy situation you get yourself into, with no help from the boys. And that's only fair.

M

m8braaaap

Banned
Dec 3, 2012
mancos colorado

I want to know if you talk to your wife that way? all joking aside, that is what most good riders want to say but don't want to be the dick.well played sir!! I still love chicks that shred.its the lazy riders that I cant stand!!!!!!!!!!!!

L

live2ride

Moderator: Premium Member
Nov 11, 2001
Gillette, WY
www.kristyharnish.com
Being very active with the local lodge, a few years back I would help with guiding. I have to say when the "paid" guide said to the group "she" will be joining us today if you need anything........I got many dirty looks, comments and called names I am sure....but by the end of the ride most of the guys were thankful to have me along. However I had to tell them many times to pull there own ski which was most definitely gender specific, due to the fact the rider had dug clean to china. Thus meaning the guys muscle was by far more useful than mine. My light weight and skill to ride the stuck as heck sled out of the hole was much appreciated by most. Mostly the buddies that were always pulling on the same sled, mind you if they had to pull the ski with the much larger buddy that didn't know throttle control as many times as they pulled my weight on that same sled they most likely would have quit riding. Lol. I know my abilities and hate to depend on someone else to have to pull me out. I will usually be the first one to help whoever is stuck out, because we do need to watch out for others no matter what. I guess those that have the issues with riding with "gals" better have a good group of guys to ride with. A buddy system is very important with Mother Nature, with every sport especially in the mountains. I also agree that when a guy hears I am going along, more than once has there been a instance where they expected me to "babysit". I love helping others learn new skills, but respect me by asking not expecting.....I usually am my spouses riding buddy and we watch out for each other.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
haha..well the original question was for women only to answer and it brought out of the woodwork the guys wearing pink panties...and now that I posted im just as guilty...lol..

Missy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Samak, UT
www.MissysRealEstate.com
Being very active with the local lodge, a few years back I would help with guiding. I have to say when the "paid" guide said to the group "she" will be joining us today if you need anything........I got many dirty looks, comments and called names I am sure....but by the end of the ride most of the guys were thankful to have me along. However I had to tell them many times to pull there own ski which was most definitely gender specific, due to the fact the rider had dug clean to china. Thus meaning the guys muscle was by far more useful than mine. My light weight and skill to ride the stuck as heck sled out of the hole was much appreciated by most. Mostly the buddies that were always pulling on the same sled, mind you if they had to pull the ski with the much larger buddy that didn't know throttle control as many times as they pulled my weight on that same sled they most likely would have quit riding. Lol. I know my abilities and hate to depend on someone else to have to pull me out. I will usually be the first one to help whoever is stuck out, because we do need to watch out for others no matter what. I guess those that have the issues with riding with "gals" better have a good group of guys to ride with. A buddy system is very important with Mother Nature, with every sport especially in the mountains. I also agree that when a guy hears I am going along, more than once has there been a instance where they expected me to "babysit". I love helping others learn new skills, but respect me by asking not expecting.....I usually am my spouses riding buddy and we watch out for each other.

Very well said! :thumb:

haha..well the original question was for women only to answer and it brought out of the woodwork the guys wearing pink panties...and now that I posted im just as guilty...lol..

I don't really think it matters what color "panties" either gender wears! So guys pull out those pink ones, and lets all help each other out! We are snowmobilers, men, woman, and children and we watch out for each other, well because that is what we do! :grouphug:

W

Woops!

Mar 13, 2011
Fairbanks, AK
It has been Proven, on many ladies rides that the girls can get themselves unstuck or unwrapped around a tree (myself included) as long as they have at least another girl who knows the pulling/lifting stuff.... It just sometimes takes us a little longer...
That being said, with the group my hubby and I ride with, In our riding group, there are no other women.... and I have yet to see one of our Guys get stuck on a hill or a tree without other guys riding over or up (unless avalanche danger = high) a hill to help another guy out....
So exactly What is the difference between that and helping the gal in the group who is improving her skills on lower ground?
I can get myself out of a lot (lol exception = creeks).. with a shovel & my stout but short stature..... But I'll pull on skis all day long if someone is learning & trying to help.....Because I remember that I did Not Always Know How to Ride....:argue:

S
Nov 28, 2007
Spokane, Wa
profile.myspace.com
I'm late to the party... LOTS of great comments on here!!!

For the record I know some women who are stronger than some guys... (just to mess with that generalization!!) But I agree, on a generalization level as long as you understand that it was a generalization! :)

Ride like a guy... I dunno that I even know what that means... I don't judge myself with the men's or women's scene, I judge myself with the group I"m attacking the back country with. If I'm not a contributing member then I don't belong (or I expect them to understand that they're taking me along in a babysitting type manner! NOTHING wrong with this, I know babysitting sounds annoying but it's ok, we ALL have to learn at some point!!) It's VERY nice to be honest with your group about what your skill levels, fitness levels, back-country experience levels AND wrenching knowledge levels are!

About the whole 'you keep you eye on her' comment... Yeah, you should ALWAYS be buddied up in the back country. Our group often ends up with a bit of a threesome just cause our buddies' wife doesn't ride and he doesn't have an official riding partner but we're cool with that and all 3 of us keep and eye on each other. When it's just D and I who go, yes, he is expected to keep his eye on me just like I'm expected to keep my eye on him! Luckily we're both pretty self sufficient and we don't need a ton of help... But there are always times that EVERYONE needs help -or that everyone could use a little help- and the entire group should be willing to chip in every now and then!

I guess the biggest thing is to be honest and open about skill and knowledge levels... If you feel like you're being a burden then talk to the people in your riding group and find out!! Sometimes they're MORE than willing to do it but it just means they need a few rides without you tagging along to re-charge their batteries... That's the way the guys were who taught me how to ride... Some days I was invited and some days I wasn't!

A

arcticmat

Nov 23, 2008
Tea SD
"the group"

I ride with a group of 8 - 10 and there is typically 3 women riders along with. we have adapted "the group" mentality. We all look after each other regardless of male or female. I am very fortunate to have a solid core or riding buddies that for the most part all have the same riding levels and skills. When they bring their wife's and daughters along we look out for them just like they are one of the guys. They do have to keep up, they just have to show some effort and try. We will help them through whatever we can, usually requires one of us to ride a sled out for them but if that is what the group needs then someone will do it. My only wish is that my wife would come with out west and ride. She is content to ride around the yard, she lets me spend all kinds of money on gear and parts and never says no to a trip for me(only go 2 -3 times a year). If she said she would want a sled for her self...oh man I would love it and get her whatever she wanted. But marriage is about compromise and she has her ATV and she says that is good enough for her. I don't care if you are female or male as long as you support the sport we are good.

allierae

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2012
Sylvan Lake Alberta
Hello!! Misunderstood... for the most part, the men I ride with are awesome. I feel respected, and valued, as a member of our ride group...

If you are writing a paper I'd have you perhaps think of this... women.. we are women riders.. there seems to be some sort of "movement" amongst some of the women riders to somehow prove themselves as a rider to the men.. the whole.. show the boys how it's done thing. I don't buy into it. I am a woman rider. I ride like a girl.. and I'm proud of it.
How many woman would feel it is more of a compliment to be told you are one of the boys.. or you ride like a man, than it is to say you are a strong woman rider.. or you ride like a girl. I'd love for women, to be women.. to ride, to have fun and to be proud to excel in skill. To go out and learn each ride out, and embrace other women riders.

Me.. I ride like a girl! :D
Here is something to add. A blog on our Betties Powersports Network page. A Powersports network devoted to "riding like a girl!"

http://www.thebetties.ca/2/post/2013/09/ride-like-a-girl-by-trish-drinkle.html

Take care!

Trish

I just wanted to say I completely agree with you momma, I am a heavy duty mechanic by trade and I not only deal with that at work on a daily basis women trying to be a man to fit in, but I see it with people I know who feel they have to ride like the boys or they won't take me. I am proud of my girlyness and am learning to overcome that feeling of having to change to be accepted. Many girls I encounter in my trade and on the mountain are trying so hard to be exactly like the men they ride/work with, or they push the i am woman hear me roar mode too. I am telling you all just be you, and be you better than they are them, no matter who "they" is! That will knock their socks off. I ride with a group of people who are supportive of me trying to push MY limits, and one of them is a girl who has been riding for a long time, she is such a great rider and just dies her own thing. She really inspired me to be a better rider as a girl:) But at first when I went out riding I always felt guilty because I was slow and learning and personally felt like I was holding everyone up. And a couple people we rode with never took into consideration that I was paying just as much money to haul my sled the 6 hours to the mountains to stop and wait a the bottom of huge chutes while they went and played. I finally stood up for myself and said hey! I want to have fun too can we stop somewhere we can all play? I was surprised when I got the answer heck ya! Where do you wanna go! Since then it has been awesome. I think everyone has difficulties to overcome, but I am continually impressed by the girls I see on this forum! You all rock:)

Last edited:

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
I whole-heartedly agree!!!

What gets me is the women that constantly want credit for being a woman. The constant need for approval for accomplishing something, and, oh wait, don't forget, I'm a girl!!!!

What women need to realize is that we have advantages in this sport too. Women are more flexible and agile, and lighter for the most part, which are HUGE advantages. So suck it up and stop making excuses, or even worse, expecting credit for doing something just because you're a girl!

I don't know any woman that wants to be one of the dudes or ride like a dude, most girls just want to be accepted and invited to ride with the boys.

Be prepared when you are accepted, to get yourseflf out of every hairy situation you get yourself into, with no help from the boys. And that's only fair.

I just love this. And coming from a woman, this post says it all. BLUNTLY.

T

~TriplePink~

Mar 24, 2009
Honestly I take it as a compliment if someone says I ride like a dude, my group is very male dominated and to be part of it I am very thankful. I love my group :) If someone is complimenting your riding take it as that, dont twist it into being something sexist.. its a compliment and we ladies all know that guys dont have the best way of giving them out so for them saying hey you ride like a guy.. thats a compliment in their minds.. take it or leave it? I take some offense to the "movement" comment only because I have accomplished some things in my rides that have been to show the boys that girls can do it too... My ambition in my accomplishments are first and foremost to accomplish a goal that I have set for myself but I would be lying if I didnt say its also a "hey we can do this too" . I had ALOT of people doubting me when I first bought my sled and this in turn made me doubt myself, you dont typically see girls on nytros so when men were right out saying I wouldnt be able to ride it I guess I had to prove them wrong, prove a girl can hang with the guys on a nytro.. I dont want credit I want acceptance and for my guys to say I ride like them that to me is acceptance... I am sure its different for every woman rider since each of them are in different situations/groups etc, most important thing is to just enjoy the ride... push yourself, whether its to accomplish goals, prove people wrong, gain acceptance whatever... WHOS to judge your reasoning?? We all need to just be thankful we have the opportunity to enjoy such a great sport :) leave the judging at home...to each their own right?

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Recently went to the moto track, a girl pulled in to practice, cutting me off with her truck to park as I was walking across the lot. I went around, no biggy. Then she puts on a show getting into her gear in the back of her truck, thong and all. Found out that if you offer to help her unload the bike, she will freak on you, "BECAUSE I AM A GIRL????". End of the day, instant replay in reverse getting naked in the bed of her truck.
Is she faster on the track than me? Yes. Does she look better in a thong? Yes.
Do I have any respect for that kind of attitude or attention-craving BS, or her in general? NO.
Regardless of guy or girl, it doesn't matter, if someone in your group needs help or a tug getting unstuck, get er done.
My wife sucks on a sled, she has been on one 4 times in the 8 years I have known her. When a bud and I went on a ride with our wives, she tipped the sled over and we all helped her out.
Another guy I rode with (member on here) went with me and another bud with his wife, who is his regular riding partner, she tore it up and went everywhere we did, both up and down the hills. It was very cool to see, I hope my wife can tear it up like that some day with me.
Chris

W

Woops!

Mar 13, 2011
Fairbanks, AK
I dont want credit I want acceptance and for my guys to say I ride like them that to me is acceptance.

Wow, how well you said that:) I have worked really really hard to ride well and in turn have been Accepted with our groups of riders... While in the beginning, I had to make sure Josh had his boys rides so he didn't have to worry about me... now they are so that he can cut loose with the boys like I do with the girls out of town... I'm still proud of the first time when one of the guys said, "tell Amber to pack her bags" when there was an extreme ride planned in Valdez...I couldn't go, but for this guy (the one who used to sigh) to say it, meant I had been accepted as a Rider... not just a wife...

plumnuts

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Right side of Washington
Back in the day we got invited by Cat Racing to go to the dealer show (all expenses paid), which was a weekend of concerts, racing, and riding all the new Cats... It was cool they included us as for many years we bleed yellow.

Anyway rides were divided out as beginner, intermediate, and expert... We signed up for the expert rides and had a lot of fun... but there was this one guy:argue: We were riding the Cat cross Country sleds (which was cool as that was the type of racing we were in at that time) and Janet remarked there was a couple of guys bashing her because she thought she was an "expert"... we blew it off. On our ride the leader of the ride would stop every once in a while so we could switch sleds. We learned early on if we hung back we could increase the space and then really test the sleds at high speed on the choppy narrow one-way trail. One of the big mouths was on a 800 something and was in behind Janet and she dusted him (the cross fire had Fox shocks and was really dialed)... at the next stop the guy showed up and remarked "yea you are pretty fast on that hot rod sled with the fancy shocks, try it on a regular sled!). Janet to her credit said, "here take this Cat it is awesome and I will ride the sled you were on". Well, Janet took off with the other sled with big mouth giving chase... he faded quickly in the snow dust. At the next stop he said, "well, I guess it was not the shocks"

Photo is from a long time ago on a year old race sled... the other photo is her leaving a check point at a cross-country race... on her "new" Race sled

mcall.jpg Picture 013.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features