• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Domes Vs. Elevation

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Have thought about doing a PAR head for awhile, but have not wanted to have to deal with changing domes when going from low elevation riding to high elevation riding. But if there isn't a dome change needed on a stock head going from low to high elevation it doesn't really make sense that you would NEED to make a dome change on an aftermarket head when changing elevation? So do you need to change domes on PAR head when changing elevations? If you don't what kind of performance differences will you see? Just thinking that if could run a head with 13.6 domes both at home and out west I will, but if I need to change I just don't see it being worth the hassle. Thanks

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
Have thought about doing a PAR head for awhile, but have not wanted to have to deal with changing domes when going from low elevation riding to high elevation riding. But if there isn't a dome change needed on a stock head going from low to high elevation it doesn't really make sense that you would NEED to make a dome change on an aftermarket head when changing elevation? So do you need to change domes on PAR head when changing elevations? If you don't what kind of performance differences will you see? Just thinking that if could run a head with 13.6 domes both at home and out west I will, but if I need to change I just don't see it being worth the hassle. Thanks

a friends sled couldnt run right without av gas with a 12.5 head at 1500 ft..... that head is suppose to work from 0-2000 on premium

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
If I understand you correctly, you're in part confirming that you can run an aftermarket high elevation head, PAR 13.6:1, down low. Yes, it's doable, but not on pure pump gas. You must run a higher octane mix - pump + race/av, etc., to avoid deto at low elevation. I believe Brad could give you a pretty good guideline on how much per the elevation change.

I think you also asked if a stock does it, can an aftermarket do it - stock pro compression is 12.5:1, which is safe down to sea level. Yes, aftermarket low comp (12.5:1, e.g.) heads can be run down low. You're still just giving up hp, 5-10, running that at 8000 feet. If you ran a 12.5:1 against a 13.6:1 head to head at 8000 feet, you would notice a very significant difference. You could run heavier clutch weights with the bumped up compression at higher elevation also, of course. Lower comp aftermarket heads from PAR, RKT, work the exact same way as stock. I do know the RKT 12.5:1 heads will run straight 91 pump at 1000 feet with no deto - seen it personally, FWIW. Haven't seen the PAR low comp head in action down low, but clearly sledneck_03 has.

Taking a 13.6:1 from 8000 down to 1000ft will need alot of race, e.g., not just a gal or two. Boost, alla Torco, won't come close, either. FWIW. A 13.1:1 would also require a couple gals of race just to be safe for WFO pulls down low. Just trying to help. JMPE (I do run high comp heads on a pro, and have also done it with doos over the years. Familar with the drill, swapping domes, running race fuel mix, etc.) Swapping domes on a pro is pretty easy, just in case that's an option for a week or two out west, also. Good luck.

Last edited:

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
If I understand you correctly, you're in part confirming that you can run an aftermarket high elevation head, PAR 13.6:1, down low. Yes, it's doable, but not on pure pump gas. You must run a higher octane mix - pump + race/av, etc., to avoid deto at low elevation. I believe Brad could give you a pretty good guideline on how much per the elevation change.

I think you also asked if a stock does it, can an aftermarket do it - stock pro compression is 12.5:1, which is safe down to sea level. Yes, aftermarket low comp (12.5:1, e.g.) heads can be run down low. You're still just giving up hp, 5-10, running that at 8000 feet. If you ran a 12.5:1 against a 13.6:1 head to head at 8000 feet, you would notice a very significant difference. You could run heavier clutch weights with the bumped up compression at higher elevation also, of course. Lower comp aftermarket heads from PAR, RKT, work the exact same way as stock. I do know the RKT 12.5:1 heads will run straight 91 pump at 1000 feet with no deto - seen it personally, FWIW. Haven't seen the PAR low comp head in action down low, but clearly sledneck_03 has.

Taking a 13.6:1 from 8000 down to 1000ft will need alot of race, e.g., not just a gal or two. Boost, alla Torco, won't come close, either. FWIW. A 13.1:1 would also require a couple gals of race just to be safe for WFO pulls down low. Just trying to help. JMPE (I do run high comp heads on a pro, and have also done it with doos over the years. Familar with the drill, swapping domes, running race fuel mix, etc.) Swapping domes on a pro is pretty easy, just in case that's an option for a week or two out west, also. Good luck.
That's exactly what I was looking for. Super clear and informative. Thanks

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
We run 0-4500' and I know 5 guys running par 12.5 head and slp pipes and none have det problems, 91 shell gas.

Cascade Addiction

Lifetime Membership
Sep 21, 2011
WA Cascades
(sledneck_03) why wouldnt it run right i had a buddy here with the same head and mds weights running on pump gas with zero issues. 1500 ft elevation.

Could be that sleds timing was off, would be first thing I'd check. Had a buddy had same problem with DET when 2 others did not with same set up. Sled went in to dealer and timing was slightly off. Could be a slight machining difference in domes? Or wrong domes put in by accident?

F

fitler

May 14, 2009
What domes are people running above 9000ft. I have heard as high as 15 from Rk tek. Does anyone have experience with this setup?

Premium Features