• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Yamaha/Skinz Front Bumpers for Yamaha Nytros

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
This replacement bumper is far more about LOOKS than brawn!
Its a beautiful bumper, make no mistake about it, but it CRUMPLED when my son hit the front of my sled last year.

M

Mister907

Dec 7, 2008
ANCHORAGE ALASKA
I snapped mine just by grabbing the bumper and lightly pulling the sled. The skinz bumper is not made for strength but made for looks jmo.

hercules, hercules! wow, that cant be good. i had the skinz bumper for 2 good seasons of smashin. finally broke one of the side tabs off, so im gunna replace it and throw the broken one on my kids tiny sno-fox. it looks sick. hes gunna love it. i got pics of the install, is there a section of "mini mods" in the forum? im thinkin i could pull the motor out of my zuma and stuff it into this lil thing!

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
Hey boyz, be careful on the bumper issue. Those Japanesey (as Render would say) do things for a reason. That stock bumber is the best one IMO for the nytro. It is designed to fold in or over with relative ease when you hit something. This will protect (if its not hit super hard) your subframe. You put a stout aftermarket bumper on there and you crack into something you may bend yor sub frame or worse yet get the Timbersled bumber and you can take out your shock mounts as well. Sorry for the sarcasim but that is the most ridiculous design for a bumper I have ever seen. Just powder coat that stocker and its good to go.

I agree with this totally.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
There has to be a happy medium.
The Skinz bumper would be great if it were just a little thicker wall diamerter.

I want the bumper to crumple/collapse on a real impact.
But there needs to be enough metal in it to burn up some of the energy of the impact.

Mine gave up the ghost TOO easily!

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I have to make a couple of comments here and i hope i wont offend anyone. I own a TS bumper and really like it and feel it provides just as much and in some cases more protection then a lot of the other bumpers. Yes! that is my opinion and if I add an additional $5 i can get a pretty mean cup of coffee in Reno.
I dont find it any harder to put the front cowling on with the TS bumper installed. The only issue that I have heard about recently regarding the TS bumper was that there is a small fitment issue if you try to install the TS bumper along with the Roest skid plate but that is ok because the parts where never designed to fit together and you have to expect those types of conflicts when buying various aftermarket products and try fitting them on the same sled. In the end it did not take much to get the parts to fit together.
I also have to say that I found it a little odd that if one bumper crumples under an impact it is praised for its design and then another one crumples it is not good. I am personally not too worried about hurting my shock towers. If you have a frontal impact on a nytro you are going to have to deal with bent parts. its just the nature of the beast.
Just by the shape of the front end the shock towers, a-arms, and sub-frame are all very susceptible to being bent regardless of what front bumper you have installed. For me the TS bumper works.

Happy New Year!! guys

B
Dec 3, 2003
Cashmere, WA
I'm with Brian. I love my TS Bumper. Fitment is really tight, but once you get to know how to remove/install the hood, it's not an issue. Just make sure you cover the upper rivet with a towel or something when removing the hood, or you might scrape the hood on the rivet. The Roest Plate does require a little modding if used with the Boonie Bumper, but it's not really an issue either. If I knew what I was doing at first, it would take about an hour to install with the mods to the Roest plate. Allan over at TS said if you damage the shock towers in an impact, then you have a lot of other damage as well, so the fact that the Boonie uses the shock towers as a mount doesn't worry me.

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
I'm with Brian. I love my TS Bumper. Fitment is really tight, but once you get to know how to remove/install the hood, it's not an issue. Just make sure you cover the upper rivet with a towel or something when removing the hood, or you might scrape the hood on the rivet. The Roest Plate does require a little modding if used with the Boonie Bumper, but it's not really an issue either. If I knew what I was doing at first, it would take about an hour to install with the mods to the Roest plate. Allan over at TS said if you damage the shock towers in an impact, then you have a lot of other damage as well, so the fact that the Boonie uses the shock towers as a mount doesn't worry me.

I really like my timbersled bumper, but after a big impact with a 12" inch tree, I had to replace it, along with destroying the bumper, the only other thing was the upper a-arm slightly bent, but still functional.

I replace it with another TS, but tweeked it again in a tumble down the 90 in REVY.

BUT, for 300 bones, I may go to a different bumper, that's a lot of money for what you are getting, or the material involved. IMO, can't be much more than about $30 bucks, if that, of raw material.

A

acutah

Nov 27, 2007
Kaysville, UT
Good thing because I hit a small tree and mine crumpled like a popsicle stick. I am very disappointed in it. Looks like back to stock for me.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Bumpers come in two flavors.
Built out of steel that never crumple but transfer all of the impact to the sled frame and those that crumple absorbing all of the impact and transferring little or none to the subframe.

Question is.
Where do you want the impact energy to go?

If it goes to the frame, then there is always the chance of real structural damage taking place and you NOT knowing it....

If it goes to the bumper, then you see it right away and just replace the external bumper.

While I, like you, was very disappointing when my shiny new bumper folded up on me, in retrospect it was a better thing then finding out later on that my frame was bent or my bulkhead was tweaked.

Premium Features